Qustion About Spindle Needle Bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The other day i was teaching my son how to clean, repack, and reinstall wheel bearings on my land cruiser. Once we got everything apart i noticed that my spindles had about .010 wear on them where the outer wheel bearing rides.

So i called up, and spoke to one of Kurt's guys at Cruiser Outfitters to buy some replacement spindles. It seems that Toyota has changed to design of the spindle, they are no longer using a solid brass bushing on the inside of the new spindle.

The new design now uses a needle bearing inside of the spindle, instead of a brass bushing. I've never been to crazy about running needle bearings, because when they go bad, those little needles tend to chew up everything they come in contact with.

So my question is this, has anyone running these new spindles had any problems with these needle bearings failing?

I have the same concern as you but so far haven't had a failure. Only had the spindle for about a year so not much time with it. From what people here told me, they said to just make sure it stays topped up with grease and well maintained and it will be fine. If I had known before I bought it though I would have switched it out and kept it the original solid brass.

I have 60,000 miles on a set of the new style bearings/half bushing (installed into my original spindles), no issues so far. Been discussed that they might be more sensitive to low grease levels, so I make sure the knuckle grease level stays where it should be. Same when installing, put plenty of grease into the bushing/bearing and some on the backside of the Birf before buttoning up the spindle.

This mechanic doesn't seem concerned: watch 5:35 into the video:

Last edited:
I believe that Cruiser Outfitters sells both needle bearing spindles and bushing type spindles.
Funny you should bring that up, when i spoke to the sales man at Cruisers Outfitters i ask him that very question.

He told me the only way you can get a spindle, both factory Toyota and the aftermarket ones cruiser outfitters sells only come one way now, with needle bearings installed in both.

I just checked Cruiser Outfitters web site, below is a copy of the current spindles they have for sale. It seems what the salesman told me is correct, the only spindles they currently offer for the 80 series only come one way, with needle bearings already installed.

Part# FA60080 - $145.00/each
Joint Fuji Japanese Replacement w/Upgraded Spindle Bushing/Bearing. Fits 1/1990-12/1997 8x Series/LX450. Spindle bushing/bearing combo is pre-installed so no additional parts are needed. One required per side, two per axle.

Part# FA60081OEM - $227.50/each
OEM Toyota Replacement w/Upgraded Spindle Bushing/Bearing. Fits 1/1990-12/1997 8x Series/LX450. Spindle bushing/bearing combo is pre-installed so no additional parts are needed. One required per side, two per axle.

Last edited:
AFAIK you can still buy a new solid bushing to replace your old one.

AFAIK you can still buy a new solid bushing to replace your old one.
I guess i could try calling back on Monday and ask to speak to Kurt to see if can find me a set.

I had to replace one of mine when I did my birfs a couple of months ago, I went with the Joint Fuji replacement after a long conversation about whether they thought there was a long term reliability difference between the two parts. Basically I was coached to the more economical choice. I was surprised to see the needle bearings when it arrived, so I packed them well and made sure there was plenty of bearing grease on the base of the outer shaft before assembling. Fingers crossed.

That must be something that recently changed. Maybe @cruiseroutfit can verify what is currently available.

They are only sold new with the bushing/bearing combo BUT the bearing and short bushing can be removed and replaced with the long style bushing, the actual spindle doesn't change.

More on that here:

spindle_parts (Small).jpg

You have to use either the HUB35001/HUB35001AFT & HUB33011 or just the solid bush HUB33002 (all sold separately)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom