Quoted $2,700 for timing belt water pump?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the dealer service seems above and beyond, just not sure how much is necessary. Vehicle is a 2007 but only has 70k miles on it. Mainly doing the service because of the age, even though its close on miles to the 90k.

$2,700 gets you the following:
-Timing Belt
-Cam Seals
-Thermostat
-Tensioners
-Water Pump
-Crank Seals
-Drive Belts
-Idlers

Seem like a decent deal from a dealer?

that’s still at least $1k high even with all Toyota or Aisin parts and the red juice.

Can’t go back as I no longer live in Florida to get it for that price.

All started when I went down the rabbit hole of how to fix my SAIS because I’m pulling a P1442 code for the closed valve. Been debating if I want to do the $190 Hewitt bypass or just get in done right as I’m a little OCD about things. Dealer was only quoting $500 for just the valves, or $1300 if it was the pump. $1800 if I get the whole system done.

Then I thought maybe just get the timing belt service done since the vehicle is 13 years old and never had It changed even though it only has 72k miles.

Good thing though is right now the dealer has 20% off for the whole 90k service which would save my $540. $2700 down to $2160. Ideally I would like to try and negotiate all the work for a better price, but not sure how feasible that is at a dealer. I have been calling for quotes from other local shops but they never call back with a price and I’m losing my patience.

Unless the seals are leaking, get them to quote it without those seals. Also take your time at 70k miles. No rush.

I know the OP asked about dealerships, but I'll share my indy shop quote for additional reference. Foreign Affair in Schertz, TX (San Antonio area) is doing my timing belt, hydraulic tensioner, and water pump for $725

Quoted prices are useless with out detailed breakdown on the the work being performed and specific parts used. More helpful for others to gauge fair pricing if we know:
  • Were parts supplied by customer or sourced by shop? (labor only or parts & labor?)
  • What brand parts used: Toyota, or other ( big price variance depending on where parts were sourced and brand of parts)
  • Which parts replaced: TB, WP, Idler pulley,Tensioner pulley, Tensioner, Thermostat, Full coolant system flush or top off, etc.( some services are more complete than others- lets us know what was replaced)
  • How many labor hours quoted or billed? (labor rates vary widely so knowing billed hours is a better guide)

Parts & labor invoice using genuine Toyota parts. (F.A. won't warranty work unless genuine parts are used). 4.5 hours to do a timing belt isn't bad ... I'd probably do it myself in 9 hours

Foreign Affairs 5-26-2020.jpg

It took me an entire weekend but I did this myself. I do have a good collection of tools, but nothing crazy is needed for this job. I'd recommend a good impact gun for the crank pulley. Harbor Freight sells a decent electric one for about $60. Anyway, that was 20K miles ago. So if you take your time you can do it for about the cost of parts. I got my parts (Aisin and Mitsuboshi brands, OEM) from Amazon, for $174. New belt, tensioner, pulleys and water pump. The belt even had timing marks on it making installations breeze. Then go-to a Toyota parts store and buy 2gallons of Red coolant. It's there stuff and I want to ensure I use the stuff the engine was designed to use. I chose Red instead of Pink, because Pink is prediluted. That was another $65. Yeah, $32 per gallon.

Anyway, I say do it yourself,buy the tools and save a ton to boot.

Parts & labor invoice using genuine Toyota parts. (F.A. won't warranty work unless genuine parts are used). 4.5 hours to do a timing belt isn't bad ... I'd probably do it myself in 9 hours

View attachment 2319187
Helpful info for comparison purposes. 4.5hrs is fair and the labor rate @ $89.50 per hour is quite fair.

Based on the age of our vehicles, and since engine coolant needs to be drained during a TB/WP service, would it be a good practice to change the heater Ts as part of the service, when there is no indication the Ts have ever been changed?

If I was the previous owner, and knew about heater Ts, I would have changed them as part of the TB/WP service that occurred 18,000 miles ago. They needed it then.

Based on the age of our vehicles, and since engine coolant needs to be drained during a TB/WP service, would it be a good practice to change the heater Ts as part of the service, when there is no indication the Ts have ever been changed?

If I was the previous owner, and knew about heater Ts, I would have changed them as part of the TB/WP service that occurred 18,000 miles ago. They needed it then.

Absolutely! FYI, heater T's can be changed without draining coolant. Its a very simple job and one that should be at the top of the list when baselining a new to your truck.

So the dealer service seems above and beyond, just not sure how much is necessary. Vehicle is a 2007 but only has 70k miles on it. Mainly doing the service because of the age, even though its close on miles to the 90k.

$2,700 gets you the following:
-Timing Belt
-Cam Seals
-Thermostat
-Tensioners
-Water Pump
-Crank Seals
-Drive Belts
-Idlers

With 70k, I'd DIY the following for about $400.
- Cam Seals & Crank Seals - If they aren't leaking, skip it.
= Thermostat - Toyota thermostat and gasket should be around $35
= TB/WP - Aisin TKT-21 is $175 and includes the water pump, timing belt, pulleys and tensioner.
= Serpentine belt - Continental 4060882 $30
= Serpentine idler - Toyota 16604-50030 $42
= Serpentine tensioner pulley - replaced the bearing only w/ Nachi 6203-2RS $10
= 3 gallons of toyota pink coolant $80
= Some grey high temp RTV $10
+ 2 heater tees (p/n 87248-60460) $20

Parts listed are what I used on my 05, but I don't think there is anything different for your 07.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom