Quick VCG change turned badly.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well y'all I may have hit my limit. I was able to pull the seal out so I can take off the front bearing cap.. But I went to then start unbolting the other bearing caps, and I can tell they're going to snap. I tried 3 different ones, and I can feel turn a smidge, the same feeling I got on the ones that snapped before on the cover and the front cap...
I'm thinking about cleaning it all up, going ahead and replacing the water pump and timing belt and throwing it back together and taking it to a shop sometime in the future.
I just don't think I can go through anymore snapped bolts lol.

Try tightening then loosen a smidge, repeat repeat repeat.. Working out slowly. If you can get up a little just a bit. Squirt some p-oil around the head, let sit over night. So it can work down to threads.

I smack all suspicious bolts with a metal hammer before loosening now. it seems to help.
I might try it, just want to be careful with the cams lol.

I’m a little confused. Shouldn’t the bearing caps within the engine be rust free?
They're for sure rust free. It's clean. But again when I tried to loosen some, they would move a hair, but it didn't feel like it loosened it felt like the bolt twisted instead.

It's possible, someone work these bolts in the past. Possibly over-torqued bolts, stretching and weakening them, or added thread locker or both

As it, is not common to have all these bolts frozen and break. Especially cam journal, which does not happen due to factory build. Even the head cover bolts, usually don't busted. Unless we see pitting in aluminum. Which indicates corrosion, which can resulting in galling of threads. When as oily as yours, they usually come out without breaking. So this is a strange one!

I'm moving on to replace my water pump and pulleys etc. while taking a break from the bearing cap bolts.
I noticed something really odd, when I took off the timing belt idler I got a strong whiff of what smells like propane or natural gas. The idler smells like it, and so does the allen bolt. Any clue what that could be?

Last edited:
Another question, on the crank you can see where I've wiped up some dirt/oil around it. So I was curious if it was leaking.. It doesn't look like it's directly leaking from the seal though. I just don't know where else that oil could have came from :/
IMG_4188.JPG
IMG_4190.JPG
IMG_4194.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom