Question about two different looking 3FE ECU's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a spare 3FE ECU from a fellow mudder and everything went well, he sold it at a decent price and shipped it fast. I have a few questions as I'm looking at my new spare ECU. There are a few differences and I thought someone might be able to chime in and help me out here. The pins / wiring harness connections are the same so I think they should be interchangable....

Here are some pics, mine is the one with the yellow wiring harness port and the spare has grey ports. My vehicle is an 88 FJ62.

So who can solve this mystery for me?
comparingECUpins.jpg

ComparingECUs.jpg

comparingECUlabels.jpg

comparingECUmountingbrackets.jpg

my3FEECU88FJ62.jpg

sparepart88ECU.jpg

Last edited:
What is the spare out of? An '89? An FJ 80?

From what I can see, on top of the layout of the pins being different, the total number is different too.

Here was the description:

3fe ecu
3FE engine control computer (ECU) part# 89661-60090
From an FJ62 I do believe...

There are 2 different ECUs for FJ62s, and I believe 1988 is different from 89-90. I have a couple of these and can check the part numbers tomorrow.

Edit: One of them was pretty handy--it's 89661-60021 with the gray pin surround plastic that you show. I believe it to be off an 89. I can't be sure and I want to build a 2FE, so I bought it here on mud as a spare. With the part numbers, Cruisedan could let you know what you've got.

Last edited:
according to the parts microfiche, 89661-60020 is from an FJ62 whereas 89661-60090 is from an FJ80. I think it's also interesting that they had different ECU's for a "californa spec" version of each model.
fj62 ecu.JPG
fj80 ecu.JPG

Guess I'll be putting it up for sale. Thanks for doing the digging and finding the spec.
-randy

Just to clarify ... As far as FJ62 3FEs go you can use either ECU. I have both the 89661-60020 and the 89661-60021, and have run both with my engine. The microfiche posted seems to suggest that the 60020 supercedes to the 60021. Don't know about the CA spec ECU. I seem to recall it had another sensor (EGR temp?) that the Federal engines didn't get.

The FJ80s had a different ignition (coil/ignitor) so I'm not surprised they are different.

Randy,

Going by the pictures (yours and 2mbb's) it looks like you are running a FJ80 computer(gray pin block) and the spare (yellow pin block) is a FJ62 computer. The part numbers on the covers when compared to the parts microfische confirm that. Plug it in and give it a try, I bet it will work.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Randy,

Going by the pictures (yours and 2mbb's) it looks like you are running a FJ80 computer(gray pin block) and the spare (yellow pin block) is a FJ62 computer. The part numbers on the covers when compared to the parts microfische confirm that. Plug it in and give it a try, I bet it will work.

I'm running the yellow one. The brown one is the spare.

I'm running the yellow one. The brown one is the spare.

Now, I'm confused. You're saying the opposite of what you said in the first post and I think Dynosoar has it backwards also. The 89661-60020 is an older number, so it would be for the FJ62.

Edit: Just looked again, and you're both right...you just had it wrong in the first post.

The connectors and pins are not the same as seen on the label.
comparingECUlabels.jpg

I think you know by now that your spare won't work, but just trying to clarify further.

I picked up a spare 3FE ECU from a fellow mudder and everything went well, he sold it at a decent price and shipped it fast. I have a few questions as I'm looking at my new spare ECU. There are a few differences and I thought someone might be able to chime in and help me out here. The pins / wiring harness connections are the same so I think they should be interchangable....

Here are some pics, mine is the one with the grey wiring harness port and the spare has yellow ports. My vehicle is an 88 FJ62.

So who can solve this mystery for me?
comparingECUpins.jpg

ComparingECUs.jpg

comparingECUlabels.jpg

comparingECUmountingbrackets.jpg

my3FEECU88FJ62.jpg

sparepart88ECU.jpg

You said the spare has the yellow ports and the label on the one with the yellow ports is part #89661-60020 (FJ62)

In Summary

oops:rolleyes: My bad on that one.

Anyways... Thanks to everyone's help I have found out that the grey one is for an FJ80.

To summarize the tech: Yellow one (FJ62) versus grey one (FJ80.) So if anyone ever asks if they are interchangeable they can take a look and see that the pin ports are different.

u gonna sell the spare ecu?? how much?

I'm going to sell the 3FE FJ80 ECU (the one with grey pins.) If you want it pm me with a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom