Question about refilling radiator after replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got the old radiator out and am about to install the new one. After that’s done, what is the procedure for replacing the coolant that was drained out of the old radiator? Ive never dealt with cooling systems before so I have no idea.

Click the link, look under Engine Repair Manual (2uz)-> Cooling->Coolant->Replacement. Bookmark the link.
Thanks but I’ve still got a couple of questions.
1. Where do I add the coolant? Top of the radiator? How much?
2. I wasn’t planning on draining all of the coolant and doing a complete replacement, but maybe I should?
3. By opening the heater valve does it mean I just need to run the heat on high during the process?

Thanks

1. yes, 15+ quarts of toyota red depending on what you do for your second question.
2. Depends on how particular you are.
3. yes

Also, I always "burp" a radiator when close to done filling by squeezing the upper and mainly lower hoses, do that til the level you see from the top of the radiator quits dropping then you're ready to do the bleed procedure( heater open warm up the engine to operating temp)

Thanks but I’ve still got a couple of questions.
1. Where do I add the coolant? Top of the radiator? How much?
2. I wasn’t planning on draining all of the coolant and doing a complete replacement, but maybe I should?
3. By opening the heater valve does it mean I just need to run the heat on high during the process?

Thanks

Search will yield you a load of coolant system maintenance information. @2001LC has plethora of knowledge on the subject posted in various threads

To answer your other questions...
1. Add coolant/distilled water to the top of the radiator. Total system volume is detailed in your owners manual. I usually start with 4 gallons (typically 2 gals of Toyota red and 2 gal of distilled water)
2. Yes you should drain as much of the old coolant as possible. Make sure you drain both DS and PS block drains. It would also be good to flush the entire system with distilled water to clean it out if you have never done so.
3. Run the front heater and the rear heater on full hot.

While burping the system, keep the front end higher to allow air to bleed out of the system. Also, I use the same product that @Cleric Duran posted above when I flush and fill my coolant system. It helps.

Search will yield you a load of coolant system maintenance information. @2001LC has plethora of knowledge on the subject posted in various threads

To answer your other questions...
1. Add coolant/distilled water to the top of the radiator. Total system volume is detailed in your owners manual. I usually start with 4 gallons (typically 2 gals of Toyota red and 2 gal of distilled water)
2. Yes you should drain as much of the old coolant as possible. Make sure you drain both DS and PS block drains. It would also be good to flush the entire system with distilled water to clean it out if you have never done so.
3. Run the front heater and the rear heater on full hot.

While burping the system, keep the front end higher to allow air to bleed out of the system. Also, I use the same product that @Cleric Duran posted above when I flush and fill my coolant system. It helps.
To flush with distilled water would I just drain the entire system, refill with the distilled water and run it that way for a few minutes, completely drain again, and then refill with coolant?

To flush with distilled water would I just drain the entire system, refill with the distilled water and run it that way for a few minutes, completely drain again, and then refill with coolant?

Yes...although I typically run mine for a while (less than a day) to really circulate through the system. Then drain it and fill with coolant. Be aware that if it has been some time since the cooling system has been serviced, then it may take a few flushes to clean it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom