PZJ70 questions and tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Perfect!
Hey I saw your green truck when you had it on sale but my wife didn’t approve buying it:) I looked at it and even touched your old car in real-life when visiting Holmboe. Nice wheels. That was some serious off road s***. What a monster:)

Is there a way figuring out what type of crown-wheel I have without actually open the diff-carrier and look at it? Is the differential casings all of the same type or do they have different outer diameters etc?

I’ll try contact terraintamer. I saw an old thread a few days ago with a username that said he could get wires for the locker so I’ll do more searching.

If the prop shaft goes in higher than centrum of axel it is 8" crown wheel.. without any pictures of the rear one i cant tell but probably its a 9" if you measure the girth of the housing front and rear there will be a much beefier housing back..

Have taken a closer look at the photos you have one 8" front but a low pinjong one.. have heard that they exist but it is the first i have seen..

Last edited:
Hi again.... have to revise my former statement have tried to measure from the picture what axel you have.. think your front axel is from a heavy duty seven series it has the big ring (9") probably a BJ/HJ 75 and if your rear axel have fullfloating drive shaft its from a HD .. so the axel may not be the original but they are the strongest... And the links to the spareparts fit those axels to..

To determine what ring and pinion you have in the differential carrier; you can jack up the vehicle and place on jack stands then chock the other tires, place the transmission in neutral, mark the tire and driveshaft, spin the tire one revolution and see how many times the drive shaft turns. This will approximate the differential gear ratio.

Last edited:
Gaup: That sounds promising. I really don’t mind at all if my car have heavy-duty axles at front. The real issue is getting the right spare parts of course. I’ll post new photos when Im home again and can messure the diameter of the differential housing.

CharlesHS: Thanks for the advice. Ill do that and see what gear ratio I have.

The rear and the front differential-housing has the same rough outer diameter of 29 or 30 cm. That would be a 9,5” crown-wheel for both rear and front axles I assume?
The front axle has some old mountings that not are being used telling me it’s not an original axle for this vehicle.
Also the mounting-brackets for the shock absorbers in the frame seems to be moved. The brackets for the cable-operated difflock levers are rusty while the bracket for the hoot-lever is not, I think it’s because the mechanism is from another car. The vinyl carpet is “open” where the cable to the front differential locker is.

So the first thing I want to do now is to order some new filters (oil, air, fuel) and that’s easy because it’s the 1pz engine. However I want to buy a complete knuckle-rebuild kit for this axle.

Any new suggestion on what front axle this is?

Pic 1 : diff lock levers (notice that the bracket looks older then the hood-lever bracket

Pic 2 : Close up , another angle

Pic 3 : The cable going to the front diff under the vinyl carpet, looks like someone modified it

Pic 4 : Heavy duty steering arm

Pic 5 : Old brackets on the axle

868FDEB6-C203-4BB7-B2BF-FF37215E7930.jpeg

6CF2CDA1-55CC-41A0-8FA1-1A899E79F57A.jpeg

8C478B0E-AA1C-4D1A-8419-C33A00A3B8D0.jpeg

B7F32FBB-2398-4763-89B4-16FBB4619D4E.jpeg

744F94EF-CA45-4CA0-8824-C33805309200.jpeg

More pics of the front axles.

1: front axle

2: front axle , picture from right side

3-5: rear axle

92E48F7B-93EE-4F4C-A2B2-D0B992FC3A1D.jpeg

228E0010-A15D-4A89-A648-BC8C05A1D2CF.jpeg

168DE7DE-48A7-44A0-93CD-FB872CA195A4.jpeg

E2F09C57-DF25-4C3D-A3FF-2A89F3F9CC65.jpeg

EED07647-B8D2-4FC3-BB71-F8528A0F9E0E.jpeg

The truck itself, with all her dents, rust and personality.
Next to my poor old RRC-78.

Notice that the roof is elevated, probably because of tax-rules when it was registered as a light truck instead as a car. The previous owner told me Holland has those rules that the inner space of the cargo determines if the car can be registered as a light truck or not?

066C7074-AA12-4A8D-A69E-E892C39C88F3.jpeg

42912E12-2EB6-4423-AAEA-08C75E59C9BF.jpeg

9C6B0255-5470-455B-9884-7FEF122A635D.jpeg

The rear and the front differential-housing has the same rough outer diameter of 29 or 30 cm. That would be a 9,5” crown-wheel for both rear and front axles I assume?
The front axle has some old mountings that not are being used telling me it’s not an original axle for this vehicle.
Also the mounting-brackets for the shock absorbers in the frame seems to be moved. The brackets for the cable-operated difflock levers are rusty while the bracket for the hoot-lever is not, I think it’s because the mechanism is from another car. The vinyl carpet is “open” where the cable to the front differential locker is.

So the first thing I want to do now is to order some new filters (oil, air, fuel) and that’s easy because it’s the 1pz engine. However I want to buy a complete knuckle-rebuild kit for this axle.

Any new suggestion on what front axle this is?

Pic 1 : diff lock levers (notice that the bracket looks older then the hood-lever bracket

Pic 2 : Close up , another angle

Pic 3 : The cable going to the front diff under the vinyl carpet, looks like someone modified it

Pic 4 : Heavy duty steering arm

Pic 5 : Old brackets on the axle

View attachment 1770553

View attachment 1770554

View attachment 1770555

View attachment 1770556

View attachment 1770557

Those unused mounting points on the front axle are for an anti-roll bar - likely factory, but removed to get better suspension flex. But I think you are right, somebody has probably swapped in some other axles to get the lockers. Landcruiser front knuckles are the same across a lot of different models so it shouldn't be difficult to find parts.

Cheers
Clint

The truck itself, with all her dents, rust and personality.
Next to my poor old RRC-78.

Notice that the roof is elevated, probably because of tax-rules when it was registered as a light truck instead as a car. The previous owner told me Holland has those rules that the inner space of the cargo determines if the car can be registered as a light truck or not?

View attachment 1770564

View attachment 1770565

View attachment 1770566

Hello,

The axles look factory. So do the cable lockers. The PO appears to have tinkered a lot with them, though.

I had seen that high roof on Holland spec 73/74 mid wheel base 70 Series, but not on a short wheel base unit. If I remember correctly, no rear seats and that elevated roof make it possible to register the truck as a commercial vehicle and avoid the tax on passenger vehicles. The tax man's hand is heavy in that neck of the woods...

I see a good project rig. The lockers are a good starting point.

Keep the pictures coming.

Juan

New rotors, Toyo wheel bearings and today I’ll disassemble the birfield and inspect the inside of it. It’s scored on the outside from previous metal debris damage but feels nice and smooth. I’ll have a look after my morning coffee. It has a small slack maybe 1 mm. I don’t have the money for heavy duty replacement birfield and axles but next summer I’ll get those.

The swivelhousing itself is damaged and scored. I put in new races and bearings and the scores are so deep they almost get through And that bothers me. Can it be filled with weld or JB-weld?

When disassembling the axle I also noticed that some pistons in the caliper didn’t move so I rebuilded one of them - it seems that the calipers have two different sizes of pistons and I ordered a full rebuild kit for the HJ60 calipers , 43 mm and 34mm and they matched and I could reuse 4 undamaged ones and only replacing the seals for the second caliper.

The rebuild-kit included 2 inner axle oil seal but they had the wrong diameter. So I cant reassemble until I get new ones.

Cheers!
56A0F275-5E53-4707-8F95-1F54E96E4D21.jpeg

This is what the scoring looks like when new bearing races are in place.

Birfieldjoint looked ok.

Now I have a problem because I don’t have any snap rings (only for the CV side) and the French dealer takes 2 weeks to get then:/

My Pzj70 had to hibernate under the snow last winter but this autumn I had time to put it together again. The vibration in the steering-wheel is gone.

-Rebuild brake calipers, new brake line from caliper, and the flexible hose.
-new inner axle seals
-new rotors, inner and outer wheelbearings
-new manual locking hubs
-new steering fluid and the brakes seems much better now.
-2 new 85Ah batteries

I invested in a set of old Mitsubishi L200 Ironman polartrax 235/75R15 for the snow and ice (I have to use spacers for the rims) The car is easier to drive on-road with these smaller wheels for sure.

One question, where can I get a new side flashing light assembly? They are unavailable from Euro4x4 or Partsouq. I’m missing the side flasher because previous owner removed it when adding the snorkel.

B99AF9AB-622C-4381-B67C-93FB774C1D12.jpeg

C6B95A3B-2E3B-4790-A6C7-38173811816F.jpeg

AC6DE7CA-8728-4E49-9F49-0D3DC4B8462D.jpeg

6C0A3947-046A-4959-9C33-AE4773152AED.jpeg

9A65DD1E-EBAB-4A13-BBB7-7EE2E968CA71.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom