Builds PZJ70 build-refurbish!? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ready to start on reassembly now. :)

IMG_4082.JPG

Cheers

Hello,

Looking good.

Like the 1HZ, the 1PZ engine is reliable and repairable with limited means.

Being an LX, does this PZJ70 have the H4 button on the dash? I could not tell from the pictures.

Tinted windshields are a common sight in Central and South America. Probably a shield from the sun, like the sun visors found on Australian Cruisers. That place receives almost as much sunlight as Australia throughout the year.

OEM on that market maybe?

Juan

EDIT: Corrected H4 instead of 4H.

Last edited:
-Oil pan plug is a mess. JB welded up. I will be replacing the oil pan.

I've seen that on quite a few different south/central american trucks (diesel and gas). Any theories as to why this is so common?

I've seen that on quite a few different south/central american trucks (diesel and gas). Any theories as to why this is so common?

Same reason lug nuts are buggered up. Way to much torque. It is that simple.

Cheers

Hello,

Looking good.

Like the 1HZ, the 1PZ engine is reliable and repairable with limited means.

Being an LX, does this PZJ70 have the 4H button on the dash? I could not tell from the pictures.

Tinted windshields are a common sight in Central and South America. Probably a shield from the sun, like the sun visors found on Australian Cruisers. That place receives almost as much sunlight as Australia throughout the year.

OEM on that market maybe?

Yes it has the push button 4H switch and fortunately it works very well.

LX is the highest trim level not just in this market but for all PZJ70's. Searching JP-carparts.com and this became obvious to me. I am only talking about the PZJ70's though. LX trim is carpet, LJ style inner door handles, non-vinyl interior panels, probably a wheel upgrade, full gauge set, cloth seats rather than vinyl, weatherstripping with the chrome inserts, ash trays for back seat, probably a mirror upgrade, power door locks and probably a few other things. I do know on JP-car parts it shows PZJ70's with both a 4spd and a 5spd not sure if that is an LX thing, a HD thing or what. This truck is a 04/1990. PZJ's also came in a heavy duty version which this truck is. FF rear axle, overload springs in the rear and um what else? Clutch booster? I am unsure of all the details but I am learning very quickly. The 70's are really confusing but again, I am learning fast.

Your are right about the sun and heat plus no laws against it down here so it is very common, even on new trucks. But no the dark tint seen on this truck is in no way factory.

Cheers

Last edited:
I decided to hold off on reassembly this afternoon. Reason being, I want to change the seal that is in the timing gear cover in front of the Injection pump. It means I have to pull the crank pulley which I am not to excited about but besides that it is an easy seal to change. It is not leaking per say but looks original and does show 20-something years of weepage. I also need the seal in the top of the timing cover that goes on the cam. Valve cover gasket is also needed along with a few other small parts. So off I go to Toyota tomorrow to order these parts.

As a result, I started tearing into the knuckle rebuilds this afternoon. Really wish I had brought my brass hammer and brass punch set with me along with my nice snap ring pliers but I didn't. Have had good luck buying tools down here so far but am unsure if I can get the brass stuff here. Regardless I will work through it I just have gotten really used to using specific tools for these jobs and am missing some of my tools from up north. I was smart enough to bring my hub socket though! ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
It almost seems like to me if a 70 series cruiser has a full float axles, then most likely will have clutch booster also. That is just my speculation though.

So when you got to def$*kify the last guys work you need to get inventive! To much silicone and a bit of rust, no brass hammer and punches and this job becomes a chore. Helps having a good friend next door to my shop who has about $2-million in machine shop tools!

IMG_4088.JPG

And no I didn't use this home made tool to force off the hub and it's locked up cone washers. I used it to apply a bit of force and help, it did the trick sweet!

With that out of the way, time to move in deeper.

IMG_4087.JPG

Cheers

Last edited:
So when you got to def$*kify the last guys work you need to get inventive! To much silicone and a bit of rust, no brass hammer and punches and this job becomes a chore. Helps having a good friend next door to my shop who has about $2-million in machine shop tools!

Cheers

Hello,

Torque wrenches are almost unknown in that neck of the woods. The tighter the better...

"Put in a piece of pipe in that wrench, tighten it and you are golden. The longer the piece of pipe, the better," an Argentine operations manager instructed me once in the tropics, to assemble a packer. I did not follow the suggestion and opted for tightening with the wrench the service manual indicated. Proper torque, not brute force. No wonder that guy disliked me from that day on.

I think your PZJ70 is becoming a nice project rig. One swears at what POs did, but once everything is repaired and properly assembled, one feels just great. At least that is what happens to me.

Juan

Last edited:
That is true Juan. I did buy two torque wrenches recently down here though, one up to 250ftlbs and one up to 150ftlbs. Having trouble finding one that goes below 20ftlbs though which I would like to have. Seen a number of them that are bigger than these two I bought, probably have to buy one if the crank pulley needs more than 250.

Now how much are they used by local mechanics? Probably not much although I do know of one or two good shops in the town I am in that use them. Tire shops, ya not so much especially the ones on the side of the road.

Wheel bearing nuts have chisel marks on them which I knew I would find, hence why I bought new nuts. Seen that a lot in the USA though too and have had discussions about how a chisel is no good on wheel bearing nuts with the old Nissan Patrol crowds. Some of those folks would swear by them and I was always like ya, guess you don't read a service manual either!

Cheers

A couple more pictures.

Got the CVs all cleaned out, blew them out with compressed air after de-greasing. I would disassemble to do them but am lacking the right tools for that right now and feel this is good enough.

IMG_4098.JPG

Hubs cleaned up as well. All new Toyota lug studs going in on top of all new bearings and seals.

IMG_4099.JPG

The carnage from this job. Dirty dirty job but worth it to re-new the knuckles.

IMG_4100.JPG

Cheers

All you need is a pipe to bust the birfield from the shaft. Or a 2-3lb hammer.

And two 90520-27091 snap rings.

It's simple stuff. I'd recommend swapping the sides if you are serious.

All you need is a pipe to bust the birfield from the shaft. Or a 2-3lb hammer.

And two 90520-27091 snap rings.

It's simple stuff. I'd recommend swapping the sides if you are serious.

And a vise which I don't have.

I prefer using a slide hammer on the cv's. Don't have that either.

Serviced many cv's, I am familiar with the methods.

Thank you for your input!

Cheers

A super old schooler here on Mud who posted over here, New importer of LHD non-US spec Cruisers! which made me feel like I should update the thread since I haven't all week or something like that.

Just for reference to that thread, cause I am kind of feeling sentimental now, I went to Colombia, S.A. in early 2004 on a whim. A Colombian I met on a Nissan Patrol forum invited me down and not knowing much about Colombia or him I just went. I didn't listen to crap on the internet about don't go, like from the State Departments website. I got a bit sick of people saying to me, don't get kidnapped or don't do to much cocaine. Along with more stuff like this from other people over the years as I did much more traveling deep into Latin America it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Any ways, the first trip down to Colombia was a fantastic trip and started me on a long path down this Latin American journey I am on. I been back to Colombia three times since and that guy who first invited me down and I are still great friends, friends for life kind of a thing. In case you don't know, I have driven the Pan-Am HWY from Wyoming to Panama and back as well, three times in Toyotas. Twice in a heavily built up 2004 Tacoma and once in my 2000 UZJ100. I have covered more than 35,000 miles through Latin America by land and spent more than 13 months living on the road in Latin America, from Baja to Panama and much much more. Every country multiple times, with my dog and much of it by myself solo. The first two trips down in my Tacoma I navigated old school style, no GPS only maps. I have even repaired my trucks myself on the road, so ya I been around a bit down here in Latin America. That first trip to Colombia I focused on Patrols, it was why I was there but I also saw a ton of Cruisers, in particular FJ43's. I was looking at starting a business back then importing Patrols but there was little to no interest in the Patrol circles so I reached out here on Mud to the Cruiserheads asking about interest in LHD 43's and 45's which I saw a lot of down there. It is something I explored more over the years but never did take the plunge, until now!

Any ways, on with the refurbish-build thread!

I been chasing parts left and right this week. I sometimes hesitate to share here on Mud for reasons I don't really care to get in to. Basically, I can sum it up by saying, if you are not me, if you are not my boots on the ground I feel like you just don't get it. And I don't want to share sometimes because of this. Ya know, the whole, "you are doing it wrong man" kind of thing or setting myself up for people judging the truck in haste because I share to much.I get real tired of the whole, it is full of bondo, don't get your head chopped off in Mexico kind of mentality I have seen a lot of over the years on forums and social media. Sometimes I bark at people who say this kind of thing and sometimes I just go silent. Getting side tracked so back on track. I have encountered a number of issues with the truck and the areas I am working on, will that make people be suspect of other areas of the truck!? Perhaps but if you know me and my track record on this forum or with trucks I work on-build you know I go all out! Nothing really gets by me and I spend countless hours on stuff nobody cares about but me. It is something I have a reputation for in the Patrol crowds, in particular the non-USA Patrols crowds. It is why I have "OCD" under my name on here, for a sample of my OCD sickness you only need to look here, Nissan - 1964 Nissan Patrol soft top frame off restoration

So the PZJ70, I found the brake caliper bolt holes on the knuckles were buggered up. Two holes, one on each knuckle. Stripped out. One side the bolt was completely missing. It also was missing a cone washer on the steering cap on each side, so only three on each steering cap. Not able to get any of this from Toyota here besides the cone washers I am currently tracking down second hand knuckles. If I can't get good ones here I will deal with this issue in the USA when the truck arrives there. There is a fair amount of this build-refurbish I plan to do up in the states before putting this truck on the market anyways. I have also had to go back to the dealership numerous times to get this or that part like the seals in the timing gear cover. I have spent hours and hours de-greasing the old fashion way because I don't have a parts washer here yet. I have filed and hand sanded imperfections out of bearing race areas and mating surfaces because that is simply how I do things. I did find a soft headed hammer here, not brass or lead but it does work, kind of! ;)

IMG_4101.JPG

I also found a nice bearing-seal driving kit in a second hand store. Real happy about that and have used it a lot on the knuckle assembly. I bought all new wheel lug studs from Toyota and pressed those into the hub this afternoon. I am ready for final assembly on the knuckles but want to verify if I can get good second hand knuckles or not. A guy stopped by the shop the other day and is supposed to have good ones and was supposed to stop by tonight with them so I could inspect but he didn't show up. I also have been chasing other parts, new and used, chasing other Cruisers to buy, chasing down shop tools and shop supplies, checking out 1HZ engines to buy and more. All on foot and all with limited Spanish skills. In addition I have been going through Amayama with many many parts inquires to figure out what I can get for this truck and what I can't. So I haven't been as productive this week as I wanted but that is about to change as parts are showing up tomorrow.

I will have more pictures soon but for now that is it for my update.

Cheers

Oh ya found two G-Wagens for sale recently, a gasser and a diesel. Gasser has f&r diff locks, not sure if the diesel has them. Very very rare here.

And I use this on every truck I look at.

IMG_4125.JPG

Cheers

All the seals needed for the timing gear case, I hope any ways! Bearing for IP gear too if it looks bad.

IMG_4133.JPG

Cone washer for steering arm cap on knuckle I needed.

IMG_4134.JPG

Upper and lower radiator hoses, OEM.

IMG_4132.JPG

Oh ya and I got good second hand knuckles. Stoked!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom