Pulling to the left upon braking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While driving last night, my 60 developed a sudden pull to the left when braking--if I took my hands off the wheel, it would go almost a quarter turn to the left when hitting the brakes.

The odd thing is, there were NO problems until last night---right after I had the truck on a lift and we had jacked up the rear axle and messed with the rear drive shaft.

Pads look good, fluid looks good, doesn't look like we crimped any brake lines while working on the truck. There is a *slight* possibility I got some rust converter on the right front disk (but I really, really doubt I did)--if my right disk brake was slipping, would it make it pull to the left?

Is it possible that all the "ups and downs" with the suspension freed up one of my front shackles while the other remains frozen, causing it to react funny to the weight shift of braking?

What are the factors that would make it pull to the left???? ???

Probably a leech or two from the 2 ft water hole on your disk pad. Ha ha ha.

No, really, was it after the hole?

[quote author=Jukelemon link=board=1;threadid=12768;start=msg117360#msg117360 date=1078777856]
Probably a leech or two from the 2 ft water hole on your disk pad. Ha ha ha.

No, really, was it after the hole?
[/quote]

Heh heh, you've got the wrong guy! My deep water crossing was last summer, TonkaC is the guy who just went through 2' of mud.

Don't you know? IH8MUD!!!! (I must, I just got a couple of stickers that say so!!! Thanks, Woody!)

This happened to me after a bath on my 40, but it dried up and went away after driving a little bit. I would say it is something in the brake pads.

Oh, my bad. I hate when smart a-- comments go to the wrong fellow.

I bet you did hit a brake line. Just a crack will rid the pressue enough to cause that type of issue. Ask me how I know. Especially, if the brakes were working perfectly before the rear axle work. Just my experience, disk brakes are pretty telling when something is wrong i.e. a hard jerk to the right or left means there is a significant issue with the caliper(s) like not enough pressue to one side or rusting of the cylinders. Just my .02.

[quote author=Jman link=board=1;threadid=12768;start=msg117348#msg117348 date=1078776872]

What are the factors that would make it pull to the left?
[/quote]

If one front caliper is not doing the same amount of braking work as the other side, from not getting fluid, or something on the rotor causing the pads to not function, or frozen pistons, it will make the vehicle pull to the side with more braking force.

Also, if the rear braking system is not working evenly, it can cause this similar issue. If you have one rear brake shoe set up very close, and the other is not, (as could be the case if you use the parking brake, and have a siezed adjuster on one side) the unequall braking can cause the vehicle to dive to one side or the other, depending on the side that is not working properly..

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=12768;start=msg117492#msg117492 date=1078792469]
If one front caliper is not doing the same amount of braking work as the other side, from not getting fluid, or something on the rotor causing the pads to not function, or frozen pistons, it will make the vehicle pull to the side with more braking force.

Also, if the rear braking system is not working evenly, it can cause this similar issue. If you have one rear brake shoe set up very close, and the other is not, (as could be the case if you use the parking brake, and have a siezed adjuster on one side) the unequall braking can cause the vehicle to dive to one side or the other, depending on the side that is not working properly..

Good luck!

-Steve

[/quote]

The 60 parking brake is self-adjusting, and I use it regularly, and the few times I have had a frozen side, I've been able to unstick it with some WD-40 applied liberally to the adjuster, so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

Hmmm, I guess I'll be looking at the front calipers this weekend!

[quote author=Jman link=board=1;threadid=12768;start=msg117371#msg117371 date=1078778673]
Heh heh, you've got the wrong guy! My deep water crossing was last summer, TonkaC is the guy who just went through 2' of mud.
[/quote]

Wish I had done that, my engine is on an engine stand waiting to go in. Give me a month or two I'll I try that out again :flipoff2:

[quote author=TonkaC link=board=1;threadid=12768;start=msg117549#msg117549 date=1078798679]
Wish I had done that, my engine is on an engine stand waiting to go in. Give me a month or two I'll I try that out again :flipoff2:
[/quote]

Who said you were in a truck? I heard you stripped down to your skivvies and dove right in! :flipoff2:

Heh heh, my bad this time, it was Don in Va who got stalled, TonkaC just answered his question. . . . :doh:

And just like that, it's gone.

Over the past couple of days, the braking improved to the point that the steering wheel doesn't move, so I must have gotten some sort of schmutz on the on the rotor/pads, probably on the inside of the rotor or the inside pad where I couldn't see.

Who knows, maybe Junk booger-flicked some moly grease in there when I wasn't looking! :flipoff2: (Just kidding, I know nobody would fawk with someone's brakes!) Or maybe a rust flake got in there after I installed my aftermarket A/C kit. . . . .

Or perhaps you just do not know what you are talking about... ;)

You have one of those 'self-repairing' Land Crusiers...HANG ON TO THAT!!

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=12768;start=msg118772#msg118772 date=1078957027]

You have one of those 'self-repairing' Land Crusiers...HANG ON TO THAT!!

Good luck!

-Steve
[/quote]

It's funny, you don't know how right your are (on the second half, that is :flipoff2: ). I have little time and virtually no workspace for doing repairs, and often I find that "sudden problems" that seem to indicate the need for repairs will go away before I have a chance to work on them. Considering my skill level, that's probably a good thing! :p

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=12768;start=msg118772#msg118772 date=1078957027]
-Steve
[/quote]

And damn, speaking of talking, how come you joined IH8MUD seven months after I did but have over twice as many posts? :eek: Don't you ever shut up? Or is it you just don't have any friends? :flipoff2: :D

Just what I am luckey enough to do, when I am at 'work'... ;)

Oh,

And I can count my 'freinds' on one hand....I am fine with that...

I enjoy sharing and learning information from others that have these trucks, and an interest in 4WD and wrenching in general..

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom