pulling the diffs... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's the scoop on pulling the 3rd member or I guess the pumpkin out of an FJ40 axle? I've got front and rear ARBs and the local 4x4 shop said if I can pull just the differential it would save me $ on the install of the ARBs. I've been looking for write ups on it but to no avail...Advice...is it too technical? Never tried it before... ???

Rear is a breeze. Drain. Remove cover. Remove crosspin bolt, crosspin, block, and c-clips. Pull axles outward to clear third member. Remove third member.
Front a bit more involved. Drain. Remove hub lock, hub, and spindle. Pull axle outward. Remove third member.

Check the instructions for EZ-Lock installs in rear axles and for knuckle rebuilds on the fronts. Pretty much sums up the process.

Saves you a pile of $$$ since the chunks are removable and the shop doesn't need to do all the "piddly" work dropping everything out.

You'll need 4 jackstands to hold up yer rig...good ones too, not those useless 1-ton POS thingies (I have 4, they are useless)

Sometimes you will need to provide a good amount of persuasion. There are several ways to do this.

Use a jack and lift the pinion slightly. Be careful not to put too much pressure thoug.

I use the screw driver/chistle to try to pry them apart.

One thing to keep in mind. They are very heavy if you are laying under them. ;) IIRC about 75 lbs.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=5346;start=msg42042#msg42042 date=1063799489]
You'll need 4 jackstands to hold up yer rig...good ones too, not those useless 1-ton POS thingies (I have 4, they are useless)
[/quote]

no they're not...they're great for holding up empty axle housings.

tool tips re diff pull

A hub socket is a good thing
Replacing axle seals not a bad idea
Pliers to get that darn ring clip out ( I had to grind some to get the points
small enough)
Diff gaskets are nice, but black rtv will work.
Those pumpkins are VERY heavy and often seem welded to the axle.
I used a slight lift from wood block placed on a floor jack. Be very
careful.
Be careful on the re-install. The ARB can get cracked while you
struggle with a HEAVY pumpkin you are trying to re-install in close spaces.
Pack the birfields while out of the axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom