Pulling a camper trailer

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by toddfj62, Aug 6, 2005.

1. toddfj62

toddfj62

Wife and I are talking about geting a camper, big one 30-35'. I have an 88 FJ62 whcih I realize can't pull it as is. Any recomendations on what, IF ANYTHING, I can do to the truck (ie- engine, tranny swap) to make it able to do the job? I am considering buying a used something but would much rather dump a bunch of $$ into the Cruiser and keep her if possible. Thanks

2. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    A motor/tranny swap at least. I pulled my little pop-up camper with my 62 some years ago on level roads and it kicked it's ass.

3. chief

chief

A big trailer in the 30-35 foot range takes a big tow vehicle. You could modify the 62 to tow it but you would never be happy. A v-8 conversion and a matching heavy duty transmission as well as extra cooling wouild help but you would still have a trailer / tow combination that could go but would lack the stability to make for a comfortable trip. A relatively short tow vehicle with a large trailer makes for a scary ride especially in the wind. That size trailer needs at least a 3/4 ton tow vehicle or preferably a 1 ton.

4. Tinker

Tinker

At least 5.7 Vortec & built 4L60E or preferrably 4L80E; FF rear axle with springs to match; big brakes; anti-sway hitch; avoid Wyoming & anywhere else jackrabbits fly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.