Pulling a camper trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wife and I are talking about geting a camper, big one 30-35'. I have an 88 FJ62 whcih I realize can't pull it as is. Any recomendations on what, IF ANYTHING, I can do to the truck (ie- engine, tranny swap) to make it able to do the job? I am considering buying a used something but would much rather dump a bunch of $$ into the Cruiser and keep her if possible. Thanks

A big trailer in the 30-35 foot range takes a big tow vehicle. You could modify the 62 to tow it but you would never be happy. A v-8 conversion and a matching heavy duty transmission as well as extra cooling wouild help but you would still have a trailer / tow combination that could go but would lack the stability to make for a comfortable trip. A relatively short tow vehicle with a large trailer makes for a scary ride especially in the wind. That size trailer needs at least a 3/4 ton tow vehicle or preferably a 1 ton.

At least 5.7 Vortec & built 4L60E or preferrably 4L80E; FF rear axle with springs to match; big brakes; anti-sway hitch; avoid Wyoming & anywhere else jackrabbits fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom