Public Land Status (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wouldn't you wanna go south, like the Gila for instance, so that there is less snow and warmer overnight temps? Unless cold temp camping is your thing!
I am really not familiar with the Gila but i want to explore the area more this year. Since this is the first camping of the season, would prefer to go somewhere we kinda know much better. The cold will probably suck but a good fire should help that, and am sleeping in the back of the truck for this trip.

Please goggle; New Mexico's Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan Virtual Town Hall. There you can register to participate in an online town hall to discuss outdoor activities in NM. Existing opportunities and new ideas for the next 5 years. . Speak up, let you voice be heard.

Quality 4WD opportunities are limited , especially near the Albuquerque area. This is your chance to have input on motorized vehicle recreation on state lands, here in NM. Let the state know that this is important to you. Also, you can let them know other areas you may feel needs to be addressed. The online meeting is 3-25-2021, Thursday, from 5-6:30 pm.
Jeff, bummed I just saw this, thank you for bringing this up
I found this
and this
Which points at this

I'll make an effort to go through all this and get involved.
I gotta think there are undiscovered opportunities on state land

Heading up to Jemez tomorrow (Friday), will post any relevant updates on FS roads and conditions etc.

Others might wanna join you if you post up, assuming you want company! Have a great time.

Others might wanna join you if you post up, assuming you want company! Have a great time.
That means I would have to trust my buddies to behave, and I am not sure that is possible. :)

BTW, Forest Roads 376, 10 and 289 are now open for camping and other recreational use.

The following forest roads within the Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Ranger District, are now open effective Monday, April 5, 2021 for camping and other recreational use …FR10, FR376 and FR 289 (Dome Road). Forest Roads 144 and 378 (Barley Canyon) remain closed until the roads dry out.

So the dirt portion of 126 was getting pretty torn up with mud and getting rutty (had a buddy with 2 WD pickup) so we decided to skip it and camp behind that observatory above Fenton Lake. Just a couple of random snow spots, otherwise really dry. FS 376 was open all the way through but just that road, none of the side roads you could take off of it. Anything gated was still gated off along 376.

Fenton Lake looked like salmon snagging from shore at Navajo Lake. Beyond stupid how many people were there practically shoulder to shoulder.

Hoping our state starts to get some rain, I could see fire ban happening fairly soon.

So the dirt portion of 126 was getting pretty torn up with mud and getting rutty (had a buddy with 2 WD pickup) so we decided to skip it and camp behind that observatory above Fenton Lake. Just a couple of random snow spots, otherwise really dry. FS 376 was open all the way through but just that road, none of the side roads you could take off of it. Anything gated was still gated off along 376.

Fenton Lake looked like salmon snagging from shore at Navajo Lake. Beyond stupid how many people were there practically shoulder to shoulder.

Hoping our state starts to get some rain, I could see fire ban happening fairly soon.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Didn't take but a couple lol

IMG_20210411_132724_683.jpg

PXL_20210410_001829845.jpg

Last edited:
A short, 2 minute video from the FS on Stage 1 fire restrictions.

We went there few weeks back and it was still closed. Looking forward to camping up top of the mountain then heading into town for some ice cream and strolling around. Cool little town. Going into town via the normal pavement way isn't good for a large/wide trailer due to the tight turns and super narrow (due to winter damage/no guard rails) in some spots. A sign says no trailer, even though I took mine. Thankfully mine isn't wider than the vehicle so it wasn't an issue. FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom