Public Land Status (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is the other reality: sooner or later, a fire (probably started naturally by lightning) is going to come through that part of the forest and cause 1000000x more impact than driving on existing roads in the forest ever could. :hmm:
Irony. A few years ago there was a fire in the south Jemez. This was after the FS started closing roads. The firefighters needed access to fight the fire, so they bladed a closed road. Afterwards, the FS kept the road closed, even after it had been improved. The road? Paliza Canyon.

Keeping more roads open/clear acts as a fire break, and also helps fire fighters access new burns to put out the fires faster. :hmm:
road-width fire breaks are worthless in the conditions that resulted in Cerro Grande, Las Conchas, etc. And if they are washed out, challenging 4x4 roads, fire fighters can't use them to access fires. If they are closed and unused, they will be in far better shape when the FS needs to use the roads for firefighting, logging, whatever the case may be.

Don't get me wrong, I love four wheeling. I've done it since I could drive and on trails more challenging than 99% of anything in the Jemez. But leaving everything open, essentially unmanaged, is not a good strategy. Even 4x4 trails need maintenance. I've see how bad they can get, even when aggressively maintained by 4x4 clubs. Relying on the MVUM to keep honest people honest isn't totally effective, but does greatly reduce the impacts.

We have been spoiled in NM by having such open travel on NFS lands until recently. NFS in other parts of the country was managing travel for decades before TMR was published.

Anyway, Please take the time to make a comment on the BLM Gordy's Hill area. This area deserves your input on its future. This area needs to stay open to motorized travel. Having several areas in NM for this kind of recreation can give off highway vehicle owners a legal place to enjoy their sport. Hopefully, going there instead of driving on closed forest roads.

Update on Gordy's Hill :
Tonight's on line meeting of the NM4W; The club president sent all the NM4Wheeler's GPS trail information to the BLM office, in charge of the Gordy's Hill area. Also the trail ratings for each of the trails in that area. Easy to Extreme.
Also, the names of each of the trails.
He heard back from someone at BLM. They said they were very happy to receive this information and this was the type of information they needed from the public that uses this area.
The BLM plans to do some improvements to this area, in the future. Any more information I hear of, I will pass it along to the NMHDC.

On another related topic. A member of a 4 wheel drive club in Durango, CO joined the NM4W online meeting tonight. He wanted to let NM 4x4 clubs know that there is serious pressure on the BLM, and the Forest service to close some of the popular roads ,to motorized vehicles, in the San Juan mountain areas, specifically , Black Bear pass, Imogene, and others.

I don't know who to tell folks to contact, but if you want to drive these high mountain pass roads, you may want to find out how you can express your opinion about this.

On another related topic. A member of a 4 wheel drive club in Durango, CO joined the NM4W online meeting tonight. He wanted to let NM 4x4 clubs know that there is serious pressure on the BLM, and the Forest service to close some of the popular roads ,to motorized vehicles, in the San Juan mountain areas, specifically , Black Bear pass, Imogene, and others.

I don't know who to tell folks to contact, but if you want to drive these high mountain pass roads, you may want to find out how you can express your opinion about this.
Is he from creepers jeepers?

Utah Grand County commissioners are trying to shut down popular trails in Moab, including Rusty Nail. I find it incredible how hostile they are to motorized vehicles.

Last edited:
Utah Grand County commissioners are trying to shut down popular trails in Moab, including Rusty Nail. I find it incredible how hostile they are to motorized vehicles.
Biting the hand that feeds them.

Biting the hand that feeds them.
No kidding. They also denied the 2021 permit for the Rally on the Rocks UTV event, which has a $2.5-$3 million impact on the local economy. Now Rally on the Rocks will no longer be held in Moab o_O🤯

Last edited:
No kidding. They also denied the 2021 permit for the Rally on the Rocks UTV event, which has a $2.5-$3 million impact on the local economy. Now Rally on the Rocks will no longer be held in Moab o_O🤯
Hopefully another community will appreciate Moab's decision.

I bet St George can handle that event.

If you enjoy trails in Southern Utah area, can give comments to BLM, due Jan 7th.

One more: anyone been to the Sombrillo ACEC near Santa Fe? I've never been there but it looks like a really cool place to explore. The BLM is seeking public comment for route inventory to update the Sombrillo Area Travel Management Plan, due Jan. 1st.

I looked at the preliminary alternatives they proposed and "A" looked the best by far, all the others closed a ton of trails. However, I think at this point they are just trying to get an accurate listing of all the routes.

Last edited:
Cuba and Jemez Ranger District personnel will be closing several forest roads to protect public health and safety, infrastructure, natural resources and wintering wildlife.
Forest Roads (FRs) 144 and 376 on the Jemez District were closed last week after ice and snow stranded six vehicles that required assistance. The following roads will be closed:
• Cuba District: FRs 70, 69, 531, 534 and 93.
• Jemez District: FRs 10, 378, 280, 268 and 289.

Read the full news release at Santa Fe - News & Events - https://go.usa.gov/xtacJ

The Santa Fe National Forest (SFNF) today issued separate closure orders for seasonal road closures on the Española, Cuba and Jemez Ranger Districts to protect public safety during the winter months and to prevent damage to natural resources and infrastructure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom