Public Land Status (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mauser

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Bitch. Makes no sense.

I'm surprised that NP's haven't closed yet.. I anticipate they will as well.
I read someplace, I think on one of the park Facebook pages, that they were planning on staying open.

Well thank goodness! I was worried about the population disbursing. Make sure you stock up on toilet paper! 🙄

I read someplace, I think on one of the park Facebook pages, that they were planning on staying open.
I hope so ,we have a group site booked at Chaco canyon for the home school kids in April. The wilderness is the only sensible place to be right now if you ask me .

I went to the water store this morning to get my usual 5 gallons. I have never seen a long line at the store before. Nobody, except me, was buying less than 20 gallons. The wall of jugs for sale was empty.

Took me awhile to read all that. Plus, I was at the store dealing with that stupidity. One observation I made at the store was echoed in your copy. The corona-preppers were stocking up, side by next in the aisles, and lined up in the checkout lines. Had I known it was that bad I would have picked a better time to go. I should have just left and came back.

Do not go en masse to make stocks in supermarkets: it is the worst thing because you concentrate and the risk of contacts with infected people who do not know they are infected.

So, my thoughts. Both of those are editorials and lack much science. Lots of feeling, though.

Keeping kids home from school will accomplish little. What are they going to do in the next three weeks? Do you really think mom and dad are going to sequester all that energy? Nope. They will go to the movies, to the mall, to Chunky Cheese, and associate with their friends, who associate with adults. The only, ONLY, rational argument I've seen is to "flatten the curve." That is coming from the folks that are rational enough to realize the virus is going to hit everybody, and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. "Flatten the curve" refers to spreading out the infection rate so we don't overwhelm the medical system. That I understand. But I think some of the measures are a bit over the top, including shutting down schools. There was a lady on the local news lately hysterical that COVID-19 was going to kill her kid and she was going to pull them from school. That was a reaction based on hypersensitive media, and not science.

Also, what happens in three weeks. Will the virus just magically go away? Nope. It will continue to spread.

As far as Italy, ya, sucks over there. They shut down, how did that work for them? 15,113 cases, 1016 deaths (6.7%), with only 1,045 recovered. I'm not going to deny this virus is serious stuff. But, I'm not naïve enough to think it won't impact everybody in spite of our best efforts. Plus, I accept there is probably not much we can do about it.

And, don't start me on the stupidity of testing. What is that going to do? Make you a statistic? Ostracize you from your friends? Give you some sympathy points? Put a huge "C" bullseye on your back? What it is NOT going to do is provide direction to the medical staff on how to cure you. There is no cure. I think the medical pros are very aware of what is going on right now, and symptoms alone will guide treatment. Not some test.

Right now the best way to deal with COVID-19 is at the personal level. Wash your damn hands, avoid public areas if you can, and stay home if you get sick. But, I'm not going to shut my life down for an undefined period of time.

On a brighter note, if you want Corona cerveza, there is plenty on the shelves. Other brands? Not so much.

20200313_123319-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Traven talked to the folks at White Sands. As of this morning they are staying open and planning to stay open unless direction comes down upon high differently. We're planning to get out of town and visit the dunes on Sunday.

No comment.

california state parks.jpg

Should I keep going?

AZ State Parks.jpg

WA State Parks.jpg

National Forests are still open

Took me awhile to read all that. Plus, I was at the store dealing with that stupidity. One observation I made at the store was echoed in your copy. The corona-preppers were stocking up, side by next in the aisles, and lined up in the checkout lines. Had I known it was that bad I would have picked a better time to go. I should have just left and came back.

So, my thoughts. Both of those are editorials and lack much science. Lots of feeling, though.

Keeping kids home from school will accomplish little. What are they going to do in the next three weeks? Do you really think mom and dad are going to sequester all that energy? Nope. They will go to the movies, to the mall, to Chunky Cheese, and associate with their friends, who associate with adults. The only, ONLY, rational argument I've seen is to "flatten the curve." That is coming from the folks that are rational enough to realize the virus is going to hit everybody, and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. "Flatten the curve" refers to spreading out the infection rate so we don't overwhelm the medical system. That I understand. But I think some of the measures are a bit over the top, including shutting down schools. There was a lady on the local news lately hysterical that COVID-19 was going to kill her kid and she was going to pull them from school. That was a reaction based on hypersensitive media, and not science.

Also, what happens in three weeks. Will the virus just magically go away? Nope. It will continue to spread.

As far as Italy, ya, sucks over there. They shut down, how did that work for them? 15,113 cases, 1016 deaths (6.7%), with only 1,045 recovered. I'm not going to deny this virus is serious stuff. But, I'm not naïve enough to think it won't impact everybody in spite of our best efforts. Plus, I accept there is probably not much we can do about it.

And, don't start me on the stupidity of testing. What is that going to do? Make you a statistic? Ostracize you from your friends? Give you some sympathy points? Put a huge "C" bullseye on your back? What it is NOT going to do is provide direction to the medical staff on how to cure you. There is no cure. I think the medical pros are very aware of what is going on right now, and symptoms alone will guide treatment. Not some test.

Right now the best way to deal with COVID-19 is at the personal level. Wash your damn hands, avoid public areas if you can, and stay home if you get sick. But, I'm not going to shut my life down for an undefined period of time.

On a brighter note, if you want Corona cerveza, there is plenty on the shelves. Other brands? Not so much.

View attachment 2237669
Thanks for your reply, Jon.
Publically calling the governor a bitch when she's faced with decisions the difficulty of which you have no idea struck me as juvenile and inappropriate.

Decisions that now are being implemented nationally and globally, by the way.

Who here on Mud is an epidemiologist and can comment with any authority? Certainly not me. But being married to a Forest Service officer, responsible for the health and safety of the public and her employees, has been an education. She's been on conference calls, working from home, literally all day Friday and this afternoon, Sunday, working with teams from Washington DC all the way down to her District.... making difficult decisions based on sketchy and changing information.

All any of us can do is rely on the professionals who have some experience and who have devoted their careers to this stuff.

And what they are saying is that we just might have to make some compromises. For the greater good.

In that light here is an excellent summary:

"A COVID-19 coronavirus update from concerned physicians:"

All any of us can do is rely on the professionals who have some experience and who have devoted their careers to this stuff.
I agree that we need to rely on the professionals. But, I think our governor failed here, big time. Sorry, I'm not a MLG fanboy. Ya, she only closed them to camping, but with the way our State Parks are spread out that has effectively closed our parks. I can't say there was anything rational with that decision. Look at what other states are doing. They are keeping their outdoor spaces open, and closing their visitor centers and museums. That is a rational course of action.

We are all in uncharted territory....

We are all in uncharted territory....
Mostly yes, not entirely. I think history repeats itself. I think some of our medical leaders are using the H1N1 playbook. I suspect there is a lot to be learned from the Swine Flu pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom