PTO set-up? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@beno... I was asking your thoughts on the availability of PTO winches on HZJ75s... and/or what a PTO gearbox would be used for on an HZJ75 otherwise.

There were HZJ75 trucks with the mechanical PTO accessory. What it would be used for? IDK. Anything that can be driven off the PTO... winch, water wheel, another machine, etc.

Confirming what Beno said above, I have personally seen several 75 series trucks, BJ and HZJ, both troopies and pickups, with factory PTO--some with winch, some without. Mine (BJ75) came with the PTO, but no winch. Hope to find one and get it installed someday.

@beno... I was asking your thoughts on the availability of PTO winches on HZJ75s... and/or what a PTO gearbox would be used for on an HZJ75 otherwise.

PTO winches were quite common on JDM 60/73/74 series trucks, we got plenty here in NZ. The shipping would likely be $$$ though.

With the shear pin upgraded they're a great winch.

Cheers
Clint

I had been thinking of running the PTO winch on my HZJ77, but wasn't able to track down the gearbox and lever. Then came my reluctance to cut the transmission tunnel for the lever, and all for the sake of fitting a winch that doesn't work with the majority of aftermarket bumpers. I've still got the 70 series PTO winch and roller fairlead/crossmember collecting dust.

I'm switching out my PTO for 24volt electric....Will work better for my needs. I already sold all my PTO parts though....I found the PTO to be very powerful but I often winch loads solo and prefer to be outside of the truck and not in the drivers seat......

Interesting turbo article

hello. My 1992 HZJ75 has the factory Toyota PTO winch... I'll post pictures of it later. I ask if anyone has a repair manual as it has an oil leak. thanks

PTO winches were quite common on JDM 60/73/74 series trucks, we got plenty here in NZ. The shipping would likely be $$$ though.

With the shear pin upgraded they're a great winch.

Cheers
Clint

Yup, 15yrs ago I got three PTO boxes and winches for Nissan Patrol/Safari out of NZ.

I fit one to my 83 Patrol rock crawler. Built a custom winch cage and modified the front crossmember and shafts to suck the winch all the way back. Worked excellent and no longer was the PTO winch sitting way out in front. The awesome thing about the Patrol PTO winch is it used a f/w hub for the freespool. So if you ever bust a hub in the field you got a spare on the winch. In addition to this it was set up, by Nissan mind you, so that you could put a big wrench on the winch and spoil it in by hand, or if you are totally screwed you could winch the truck by hand as well.

Great thing about a PTO winch is you can run it all day long and it will never get hot.

Here is a pic or two of it modified and set up on the Patrol. Sorry not the best pics but you can see the winch is sucked all the way back to the grill. I actually deleted the valance panel to get it all the way back.

5C595DFC-C046-408F-BA55-4E64962C27EC.jpeg
87A678BA-4F69-4501-81A2-C5FF18B2EC7C.jpeg

Cheers

Yup, 15yrs ago I got three PTO boxes and winches for Nissan Patrol/Safari out of NZ.

I fit one to my 83 Patrol rock crawler. Built a custom winch cage and modified the front crossmember and shafts to suck the winch all the way back. Worked excellent and no longer was the PTO winch sitting way out in front. The awesome thing about the Patrol PTO winch is it used a f/w hub for the freespool. So if you ever bust a hub in the field you got a spare on the winch. In addition to this it was set up, by Nissan mind you, so that you could put a big wrench on the winch and spoil it in by hand, or if you are totally screwed you could winch the truck by hand as well.

Great thing about a PTO winch is you can run it all day long and it will never get hot.

Here is a pic or two of it modified and set up on the Patrol. Sorry not the best pics but you can see the winch is sucked all the way back to the grill. I actually deleted the valance panel to get it all the way back.

View attachment 2080076View attachment 2080077

Cheers

Nice setup! My LJ71 also has the PTO winch tucked in fairly well- With the LJ & KZJ chassis being made for a 4cyl engine, the radiator & front crossmember are a long way back, so a custom mount & trimming the sheetmetal under the grill can make for a really low profile install. We did have to notch a bit out of the radiator bottom tank to get it sitting at the best height. Plenty of pics in my build thread.

A cool mod on the Nissan winches that we did on a mate's competition truck was to replace the plain bearing around the free wheeling hub with a big roller bearing, It took a little fab work but removed a massive amount of friction & a wear prone part.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Build Thread

Had a pto on my old bj40, loved it until I broke the yoke fiddlin around. Strong as the engine itself, pretty cool. Tended to rattle around a bit tho. Heard stories of cow cockies rolling down hills attaching the pto to a slasher. as long as your long ranger fuel tank is not in the way. Couldn't imagine putting one on my hj75 tho. If it came stock it is quite a bonus. Have to use them regularly like the front wheel drive, shaft slops out if not used.

Had a pto on my old bj40, loved it until I broke the yoke fiddlin around. Strong as the engine itself, pretty cool. Tended to rattle around a bit tho. Heard stories of cow cockies rolling down hills attaching the pto to a slasher. as long as your long ranger fuel tank is not in the way. Couldn't imagine putting one on my hj75 tho. If it came stock it is quite a bonus. Have to use them regularly like the front wheel drive, shaft slops out if not used.

Here it is.. my HZJ75 with factory winch..
20190910_173531.jpg
20190910_173506.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom