PTO questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A buddy found a PTO for $550 complete in as new condition. Is this a fair price? I am not building a rock crawler (FYI, no shot against em, just not my thing). My FJ40 is going to be towed on a flatbed trailer behind an RV and a weekend warrior.

It is a 1974 FJ40, stock 2F with header(does this rule out a PTO), I also have mintruck PS, front disk setup from a 1978 FJ55. This truck sports to the best of my knowledge all stock tranny, t-case. The truck was made in late 1973. It shows the stock 4 speed as stock on the dash plate. I think the F was stock but was replaced with a 2F. I had 100% new exhaist installed this last summer.

I read once that the header made the PTO too tough to make work. Is this true and is it worth it?

Thanks

Aaron Riddle

The MAF header will not work with PTO. IIRC, Specter's two piece does. Don't know about TPI.
That is a good price.

Well if you opt not to go with the PTO, I'd like to know your source. I would pay it for a PTO in a heartbeat, just cause I like hard to come by stuff and the originality of it. Especially if it is complete and as you say like new. Most of the ones I've seen would need extensive reconditioning and are missing lots of parts.

It is my understanding that the headers will conflict with fitment of the power shaft from the drivers side of the t-case.

My first PTO set up I purchased back in '91 was for 500.00us complete, so I do not think that it is all that out of line. MAKE SURE that the housings have not been welded back together, as I have seen many Toyota PTO winches that have been welded back together, from some front impact situation..

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=10046;start=msg89322#msg89322 date=1073964572]
The MAF header will not work with PTO. IIRC, Specter's two piece does. Don't know about TPI.
That is a good price.
[/quote]

Actually, just the opposite. The MAF 6>1 header WILL work with the pto winch, and the specter 2-piece will not. (Owned/s both). The TPI will not fit. (Checked) I have the MAF on my rig with the driveshaft and drive all up and working. Fair price IF it is really all there. Does that include winch, driveshaft/pillow and PTO drive, gear linkage and shifter?

You should have no problem putting it on a 74. If you don't want a winch bad enough to rearrange your header, well, I am just up the road a piece from Boise. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I do think that I have the TPI header at least I think I do. I can't remember for sure. They are the cheapest and sold by CCOT flyer comes in a black and white sheet? What could I do other than a new MAF header to make it fit? Can it be heated and bent to fit?

here is a direct quote from what he told me

"I will send you pics via email in the next day or two.
It is in mint mechanical condition and in excellent
cosmetic condition. It will bolt right up to your
4speed if you modify the long driveshaft about 3
inches. A metal shop can do this for pretty low price
if welding isn't your thing. It is totally complete
with shift lever, OEM shift knob, OEM saftey latch,
all driveshafts and yokes, gearbox (with re-useable
gasket), spool, mounting frame, cable, chain, hook,
and roller fairlead in awesome shape."

What do you make of this guys? I wouldn't know a complete PTO from a box of spare parts unless I was told which was which.

Looks like the PTO from an FJ55 (they have the longer driveshaft.) Sounds like you have a good deal, and I'd go for it. You have plenty left over to buy new headers if that's the way you want to go, but I don't think the CCOT or the TPI headers will work. The lower end of the header (where it mates with the header/exhaust pipe) will be inside the space for the driveshaft.

Jump on it.

Many complete set ups do not have the things that this one is talking about...

I would get it.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thought of something else here...

I thought I remember someone saying that the pillow blocks are different, and the length of the shaft that passes through it, connecting it to the winch are different between 40's and 55's....

May end up needing to fab something for a mount up front, but I would go for it, should not be that big of a deal..

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can get there with cash first. It is a long drive. if I decide against it I will post the information for everyone who wants it. I figure even if I need to change headers I still save tons over the Warn 8274 setup. Maybe I am wrong on that?

Do I need a different bumper or anything else for this PTO? I know you all can't see it but as far as you can tell is there something I am missing?

I would not compare a 8274 to a PTO. Two different animals, both have good and bad points...to some.

What front bumper do you have?

It sounds to me like everything is there, do you have a pic out here of your truck?

-Steve

Stock front bumper. here is a photo. First try posting a pic. This was about two years ago before any changes began.

looks like it is a stock front bumper.

Try a search out here on other PTO threads, there was some pics of other peoples stuff, and the little tapered spacers that are needed for mounting.

Do not see anything here that is throwing up a red flag, you should be good to go.

My only day to get there was friday of this week.

That PTO is now available.

FYI- contact Eric Steinhilb at esteinfamily@yahoo.com. Located in Yakima, WA.

There have been absolutely no re-welds on the spool or
mounting frame. It was never in a wreck or even a
fender bender. It has only been used 5 or 6 times
since it was bought by a Toyota dealership in the
early 70's.

THe one I
am selling was in dry storage for 30 years. I bought
it from a man that was the first Toyota dealership
owner in Yakima. He started selling Land Cruisers
back in the very early 1960's. The dealership bought
this PTO as an option. It was installed on a FJ40 in
the early 70's, bought was returned and removed a week
later. The dealership owner held onto the winch over
the last 3 decades and sold it to me about 2 yeras
ago. He helped install it on my FJ40. I used it 4
times before I removed to make room for a V8, auto
trans. conversion. It has been sitting in my garage
since its removal in the fall of 2002.

Any dirt or grease on the gearbox or driveshafts is
superficial and from its short time of being intalled
on my rig. A toothbrush and steel wool will make it
shine. There are no leaks in the gearbox. Some of
the grime you see is buildup from a bad rear main
engine seal that I had on my F engine. There are two
other people interested in the winch. You were first
and if you want it, its yours. I will send more pics.
There has been no re-welds on the gerabox. It is
solid and the whole thing may have some oil/dust build
up but has only been used a few times in its
existence. I would say 5 or 6 tiems. Ever.

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=10046;start=msg89333#msg89333 date=1073965175]
Actually, just the opposite. The MAF 6>1 header WILL work with the pto winch, and the specter 2-piece will not. (Owned/s both). The TPI will not fit. (Checked) I have the MAF on my rig with the driveshaft and drive all up and working. Fair price IF it is really all there. Does that include winch, driveshaft/pillow and PTO drive, gear linkage and shifter?
[/quote]
:slap: Brain fart, too many exams. My bad.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=10046;start=msg90540#msg90540 date=1074122033]
:slap: Brain fart, too many exams. My bad.
[/quote]

Just wait! It's not going to get any better for you! 8)

Does anyone know if this would fit a split case transfer case? Obviously the drive shaft lengths will need to be modified but is the PTO compatible with the drive gear in the split case. I'm thinking of putting it on the '82 BJ60.

[quote author=cruiser_guy link=board=1;threadid=10046;start=msg90648#msg90648 date=1074132470]
Does anyone know if this would fit a split case transfer case? Obviously the drive shaft lengths will need to be modified but is the PTO compatible with the drive gear in the split case. I'm thinking of putting it on the '82 BJ60.
[/quote]

The PTO for a split case is not the same as one for a single piece case.

I am sure that someone has a PTO box here in the US for a split case.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom