PS Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nuclearbeef

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm contemplating assembling the parts for a power steering install.

My main question is this: It seems like everyone has a different shock tower installed, but it also seems like everyone who has added PS has a SOA lift or some other large lift. I only have @ 3" of lift. Will I need a Ford shock tower or a hoop? Why or why not?

Second, does anyone sell a "kit" that has everything for the swap for a reasonable price?

Any other conversions besides Scout, 60, mini truck, and Astro van? Anybody used an 80 box?

I'll be using the pig as a DD. Any wheeling will likely be in gumbo swamp mud, not rock climbing.

Also gotta figure out how to put a PS pump on a 3b with A/C.

I'm spring under with a small lift. Used the ford towers, but haven't bought the shocks yet. I have 60 axles with the lower shock mount on the bottom, makes for a long shock. I won't need all that travel.

My main question is this: It seems like everyone has a different shock tower installed, but it also seems like everyone who has added PS has a SOA lift or some other large lift. I only have @ 3" of lift. Will I need a Ford shock tower or a hoop? Why or why not?

Correct me if im wrong, but i think the only reason people get Ford towers or shock hoops is because of the placement of the PS boxes. Its needed for clearance i believe.

Yeah, that's what I really want to know. If I do the conversion, will I HAVE to change shock towers? To clear the box?

I don't have a 55 to look at currently, but I thought the driver side upper shock mount is incorporated into the steering box mount. so when you remove the box and mount you'll need to replace it with something else.

http://www.jtoutfitters.com/toyota-...p-2698.html?osCsid=ld960h2mu8ib7hhvvi0rhj2l93

I got this part and used an old mini truck ps box and a chevy ps pump. all for less than $400 total. No welding. I only have a 4 inch lift with 33s and it works great. Can turn the wheels with my pinky at a standstill. Not sure if they actually still have any of those brackets left at JT, but it's one of the best things I've done to the pig.

Yes its incorperated with the box mount so you'll need a new shock tower

IMAG0337_zps53150dfd.jpg

What if you just delete that box and mount a 60 series box further forward? Do you NEED to change shock tower?

I suppose you could, but it would require you to modify your pitman arm in conjunction with the shift (the new one you get for the swap) I think typically places like 4x4labs have a set length they send you for the swap. (dont hold me to that, its an assumption)

Pablo, heres a picture of lil'johns, seems to me you could probably clear without the new shock tower...again assumption again as i cant just go test fit one to the side of my pig.

attachment.php

you would need to modify the stock mount as it sits across the frame and you would need to run the new steering shaft thru it

Great info!

So, I guess the take-away is that; while it may be possible to do the conversion without changing shock towers, it's probably easier just to change it.

(Assuming I don't want to go with the mini-truck.)

the real reason is because thats what everyone else does,,, the reason it all started was to run longer shocks, longer shocks for more travel (droop). if your not interested in that keep the stock towers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom