Builds Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tightened everything up, cleaned the carburetor, topped off gear oil, vacuumed out some red dirt, gassed up, put the soft top back on and headed for a drive to the lake. My son was glad to have "his" Land Cruiser back.
IMG_2293.JPG

that picture is going to be looked at decades from now with fond memories...... you are a cool dad.

I hope to one day get out west and cross paths with you on an adventure. keep those amazing pics coming. the desert adventure ones make killer backgrounds on my computer. I actually have one from your trip last year taken from a drone i think of mustard, blue two reds and a modern lc lined up and a drop off the blue one is about to go down as my background on my work computer

that picture is going to be looked at decades from now with fond memories...... you are a cool dad.

I hope to one day get out west and cross paths with you on an adventure. keep those amazing pics coming. the desert adventure ones make killer backgrounds on my computer. I actually have one from your trip last year taken from a drone i think of mustard, blue two reds and a modern lc lined up and a drop off the blue one is about to go down as my background on my work computer
Thanks!

That is awesome about the backgrounds. I think you are referring to the drone pic from Big Bend last May. That cliff is very close to the border with Mexico and is a great vantage point.

Let me know if you are ever over this way and we'll talk Cruisers and have a beer.

Many more good times to be had.

I just finished catching up on your thread. Love those video's. Brings back memories of trips through some of Eastern Oregon. Where I've been in Oregon there aren't places like the rocks of Southeastern Utah, but many of the other pics are similar to what can be found in Oregon.

Don

Did some work today on the original shoulder belts. They've been sitting in my parts pile and I wasn't sure if they could be salvaged. I took them apart today and gave them a good cleaning. They spool in and out nicely after some TLC. I'd like to mount these to the rollbar and run them instead of the lap belts that are currently in there.

These were really crusty.
IMG_2331.JPG
IMG_2332.JPG
IMG_2335.JPG

I also pulled out the FSM and learned how to adjust my rebuilt steering box. Damn, I wish I'd done this a year ago. Took 15 minutes and my steering is absolutely and completely tight as factory spec. Steering wheel has about 1" to 1.5" of play.

I also pulled out the FSM and learned how to adjust my rebuilt steering box. Damn, I wish I'd done this a year ago. Took 15 minutes and my steering is absolutely and completely tight as factory spec. Steering wheel has about 1" to 1.5" of play.

Share please.

Started by reading this thread, then fine tuned it with the FSM:

Steering box adjustment

I think the big takeaway is that the steering box needs to be ready for adjustment (i.e., rebuilt or in good working order). Tightening the adjustment screw on a worn out steering box can cause problems. Mine was rebuilt with new OEM bearings last year.

Side story here in 40 tech, but my old childhood friend and I used to cruise around in and hunt out of this old 1978 CJ-5. It has been parked in his barn for years, long ago replaced by the convenience of modern side-by-side ATVs.

So, a few of us decided to bring it back to life this past weekend. Lots of spider webs and dust removal was involved, but we had the old 304 V8 coughing back to life after some tinkering. We nervously drove it about 7 miles to the nearest gas station, praying that nothing will fling off and send us inverted into a ditch. The old girl did really well though.

It was a lot of fun comparing the manners of an FJ40 to a Jeep of the same era, as it had been a while since I'd driven a CJ. Golden Eagle package with original paint and gold wheels. Dry-rotted Co-Op Mudders. Gobs of power. Total deathmobile. The old AMC engine ran amazingly well.

It is strange that Toyota offered a 4-speed transmission prior to Jeep.

For my old school decals admirers:
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG

I've always noticed some pretty strong gas fumes when the tank is completely full, so I decided to take the fuel separator/evap system back to stock. I had the whole shebang in my @Drewk parts pile, so I put a coat of paint on the cover and put it all back together.
IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG

I also needed to run my '76 since it has been dormant for a month or so. Our little morning mission was to head to a historic bridge with a shady past, called the Old Alton Road bridge, or "Goatman's Bridge". There are a couple of documentaries about it, but we didn't see any spirits at 10 AM on a Sunday.
IMG_0569.JPG
IMG_0575.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom