Builds Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I may put the hard top back on the 40 this coming winter for cold weather drivability and to shake things up a little. While thinking through some fine tuning and gradual restoration on the original top (I’d still like to find a pristine roof cap but that will come later), I came across a very clean set of ambulance doors with zero rust and original mustard paint underneath the silver.

This is one of the cleanest sets of rear doors I’ve seen in a long time. You may recall that the ones that came with this rig had sat in Mississippi mud for years and were badly rusted.

Any thoughts on the best way to strip the silver paint off? Citrustrip? Paint thinner? Fine grit sandpaper?
64B2F0E0-DF65-4C24-937A-88CA4436B48C.jpeg
5323A304-38D9-4283-869D-96B9CF4421A2.jpeg
27431995-E227-4EAE-B103-E4F5419F4A27.jpeg

The guy I bought them from, John, used to own a cruiser shop in Fort Collins called Coyote Off-Road if I recall correctly. He has retired from the business, but still has a late-sixties FJ40 and an ‘82 as well. He had saved this set of doors for a later project, but finally decided to let them go. It was fun meeting him and talking cruisers before I had to head back south towards Divide.

One of the CottonLand guys stripped rattlecan off a blue/white Pig and had success with Easyoff Oven cleaner.

He has a long thread on the paint removal project…used a variety of chemicals to varying degrees of success. I’ll see if I can find and link…

One of the CottonLand guys stripped rattlecan off a blue/white Pig and had success with Easyoff Oven cleaner.

He has a long thread on the paint removal project…used a variety of chemicals to varying degrees of success. I’ll see if I can find and link…

Easy Off will work but it's far more aggressive than Citri Strip.

I’ve had good luck with Graffiti Remover as well.

I dug around for the thread on the FJ-55…couldn’t find it.

Maybe @wngrog remembers who removed an entire rattle can paint job off a beautifully patina’s blue/white FJ-55?

So I may put the hard top back on the 40 this coming winter for cold weather drivability and to shake things up a little. While thinking through some fine tuning and gradual restoration on the original top (I’d still like to find a pristine roof cap but that will come later), I came across a very clean set of ambulance doors with zero rust and original mustard paint underneath the silver.

This is one of the cleanest sets of rear doors I’ve seen in a long time. You may recall that the ones that came with this rig had sat in Mississippi mud for years and were badly rusted.

Any thoughts on the best way to strip the silver paint off? Citrustrip? Paint thinner? Fine grit sandpaper?
View attachment 3082788View attachment 3082789View attachment 3082795
The guy I bought them from, John, used to own a cruiser shop in Fort Collins called Coyote Off-Road if I recall correctly. He has retired from the business, but still has a late-sixties FJ40 and an ‘82 as well. He had saved this set of doors for a later project, but finally decided to let them go. It was fun meeting him and talking cruisers before I had to head back south towards Divide.

Coyote Cruisers
Very cool how is John doing? John let me put my rolled FJ55 there for a few days until I could get it. I also bought an FJ55 from him he had on consignment.

Talked with him and was at his store many times.

Those were the days…

FE06026B-701A-4DD0-9217-C55C38C2EB3E.jpeg

I got some old paint off using graffiti remover and some other paint stripper but I need to look back. It was going to be a ton of work as it was many paint jobs. I’ll see what I can find.

Coyote Cruisers
Very cool how is John doing? John let me put my rolled FJ55 there for a few days until I could get it. I also bought an FJ55 from him he had on consignment.

Talked with him and was at his store many times.

Those were the days…

View attachment 3083856

I got some old paint off using graffiti remover and some other paint stripper but I need to look back. It was going to be a ton of work as it was many paint jobs. I’ll see what I can find.
That is awesome, @FJBen. He seems to be doing well. He was putting the cover on his boat when I pulled up. Also had a really nice side by side in the garage, so it would appear he's got things to keep him busy. Really nice guy. Said he had owned something like 45 Land Cruisers over the years.

That is awesome, @FJBen. He seems to be doing well. He was putting the cover on his boat when I pulled up. Also had a really nice side by side in the garage, so it would appear he's got things to keep him busy. Really nice guy. Said he had owned something like 45 Land Cruisers over the years.

I’ve only owned 15, I’m slacking!

Good to hear, John is a nice guy. Man I need a 40 again

Some solid axle tech here…

Took my son camping this weekend in the ‘96. This is my locked FZJ80 that was my dad’s before he passed. It was in poor shape and sat in storage 9 months out of the year at our old place in Montana before I acquired it. I’ve done lots of work to this one and should probably start a thread for it one of these days. My Dad loved this rig and would be proud to see it cruising Colorado back roads with me and my boy.
9477515C-982B-4102-A468-65F73FF74C8D.png

Anyway, we had a great time. Campfire steaks, drank creek water through a filter, saw shooting stars, and other cool stuff.

Wrapped up the trip with lunch at a favorite little Mexican spot in Buena Vista.
91F470F3-56A8-437A-A3DE-07B8A9032EA5.jpeg

View attachment 3082788View attachment 3082789View attachment 3082795
Laquer thinner worked great, as well as "Goof Off" not to be confused with "Goo Gone". The latter doesn't work. The thinner left the original finish intact because it is so dry and hard after all the years. The Goof Off worked well too but actually dulled the original finish a bit. It polishes back up nice though.

fj55 2.jpg

The PO took a big ol' sander to the truck before spray bombing it, but it still looks really cool with the added character.

Spent a few minutes on the doors today. I did not have any luck using Graffiti Remover, but @dogfishlake 's recommendation to use Goof Off is gonna be the ticket. Gonna be slooooow going, but it absolutely eats the old paint off and seems to leave the factory paint intact.

I feel like the answer will be a slightly more abrasive rag to burn more into the silver paint, then fine tune with a softer cloth.
IMG_0692.jpeg
IMG_0693.jpeg

Try out xylene - I had great luck with it when stripping oil based and adhesive from the interior of my last 40. Didn't affect the paint, but I'd always spot check before going nuts with it. After I was happy with it not damaging the paint, i put in a spray bottle and let it soak in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom