Project PHOENIX-Gene's new LV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I stopped by yesterday and am going back today. Here's a quick pic of the interior though it's not all cleaned up yet. Some touch ups, color sanding, and buffing happening now.
IMG_20201130_150230101_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201130_150250500_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201130_150258230_HDR.jpg

I feel like you and I have been going through a lot of the same experience this past year with our cruisers, seeing these photos of that body near completion helps me with my body shop anxiety a bit! Helps remind me that yes, someday I'll be at that same point with the FJ28, and then I get to start putting in all the goodies. Exciting stuff, can't wait for you to fire that thing up and get it on the road! Keep the updates coming Gene!

I'm glad it helps Nathan. I can't wait to see your 28 when it gets to this stage. In fact I'll have to make a trip out to see it.

Last edited:
I can't take credit for that. I saw a 45LV or 28 resto on the net where it was done and I really liked it. Same with the cluster , glove box, etc.

Looking great!

I painted my gauge bezel, glove box door, ashtray etc. white too. Really like that look versus the old pewter color. Looks especially good against my Spring Green, but I'm biased.

Pics please.

Stopped by the shop again today. Wheels painted and front and rear bumpers painted. Tailgate emblem installed. They're repainting the split hood hinges and then painting the tailgate latch gray. Eddie the owner was color sanding when I walked up. He tells me it's coming home Saturday. Here's a few more pics...
IMG_20201202_132957519_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201202_133046153_HDR.jpg

Yeah that looks great. Nice LV! What size tires?

Thanks. You never really know how it's gonna looks until it's already done, but so far I have no regrets. I wasn't entirely sure about painting the interior cargo panels and cluster / glove box door to match the exterior colors but seeing it done I love it. The tailgate I was pretty sure I was gonna love. Honestly I think the the front fender mounted turn signals on the 40 series is a better looking turn signal and the location is better, but there's something really cool about the double sided FJ35 signal even though it looks a little strange. I had the option to take the 4WD pull off the dash and dress it up like the 35, but I really like that feature so I left it.

Over the years I have done a lot of sharing parts with others on the forum, and one of the things given to me by Nathan was a reproduction of the GIFUBODY tailgate emblem. I still have to decide exactly where I'm putting it. Originally I was going to put it where the Land Cruiser emblem is now, but I just couldn't think of a better place for the LC emblem. I haven't held it up to see how it looks yet but I was thinking of maybe putting it above the LC emblem. Any thoughts guys?

I'm not familiar with the Gifu Body emblem, Gene. Can you post a pic? I sure like what you're doing with yours! I got mine as a stalled project. It was painted and shoved in a shipping container back around 2010-2013. It was still mostly apart when I got it. I had to take a few steps backward and correct a couple of things, but mostly it's been a matter of refurbing things and putting them on.

The headliner was completed last month (the SOR headliner is a quality piece!) and I'm trimming it out now. Next up is to redo the upholstery while it's Winter. You'll probably get more done faster than I will though.

We'll cheer each other on. How's that?

Chuck

Last edited:
Sounds good Chuck. Was checking out your wagon again. Really nice LV.

Here's a pic of the GIFU emblem. They were found on the FJ28s.
13636169_285118598520267_1860156103_n.jpg

Last edited:
Studebaker parts on Cruiser......who would of thought.......
Because of the font?

Weren‘t those Gifu tags on the dash in the 28’s? That’s where I’d put it, maybe under the pocket door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom