Project PHOENIX-Gene's new LV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
Project PHOENIX-Gene's new LV-July12-13

Hey all! Haven’t had any time to log on since I got back from Moab, so there’ll be plenty to catch up on….later. Not gonna even bother with my PMs for now. Just call the shop and leave a message if you really need something. I’ll prolly be running in this mode til Rubithon. My apologies for any inconvenience.

Had a nice long talk with Gene today and got a few more thoughts organized, so I thought I’d try and get something down in writing to keep things moving along.

First off, I’ve picked a weekend that I’d like to see this project come together on. Weekend of July 12th and 13th. I have spoken with Gene, and he agreed that this would be the best weekend for him in the near future.I don’t think we can get all the logistics on the tub and the parts together much faster, and I will be busy from that point on til the beginning of August. I hope those dates work for y’all.

I would like to get a total of 12 volunteers, excluding Gene and myself, to be split in to four work parties of 3 each, one for the motor and trans, one for the axles and springs, one for the steering and one for the hydraulics. I will try to handle the electrical and have Gene focus on the body. I think with a crew of 12 we can ‘build’ this truck to turn-key condition in 2 days. At the end of Day 2 we should be able to start the LV, though we will have to await installation to measure and have driveshafts made.

It sounds like Georg has a pretty good handle on getting the larger pieces of the puzzle together, so I will continue to confer with him on that front. As time permits, I will try and focus on the smaller parts that it will take to make this happen and post up ‘want’ needs to finish. I will start a separate thread for the the parts, and keep this one for the actual workparty where you can post up if you can make it and what you can bring.

On behalf of myself I'd like to say y'all are awesome and inspiring!

Last edited:
Mark,
I'll be there. I'll bring the LV too as a referance guide for reassembly.

Doesn't work for me, my sister gets married that weekend.

I had a good talk with Gene today about the build and the crash. I have known Gene for at least 35 years and have enjoyed his company on several desert trips. He is a top notch guy. If anyone I know is worthy of this help it is Gene. He has been through a lot in the last several years and he always puts his wife and kids first. If not for your help Gene would probably never be able to build a project LV on his own. He was truly humbled by the generous contributions and help. God bless you all.

Genes Land Rover buddy:)

What's the actual location? and I pm'd Georg to se what I can haul down.

What's the actual location? and I pm'd Georg to se what I can haul down.

My shop.

I spoke with my next door neighbor on Friday [owner of a BIG parking lot]about using it for the weekend for off-street parking. I asked landcrusher909 to help me investigate the possibility of bringing an enclosed trailer onsite to use for overnight camping. I will look into renting a porta-john if this works out. Gene said he had a friend from work that would like to come out and do a BBQ for us as well.

;)

Hey guys,
Been dismantling and baggin' and taggin' the LV the last couple of days. Pretty much just the drivetrain and steering left on a twisted shell. Had to cut the driver "B" pillar out tonight to remove the front seat. Looks like the gas tank might still be good. I'll have to get it checked for leaks.

If the work party goes down on July 12/13, my buddy from work will only be able to cook for us on Sunday since his wifes birthday is Saturday. I'm checking to see if a couple of friends with motor homes might be willing to let us use them to sleep in as well.

As I told Eric (Goebeler) in a PM tonight, as I stared at my LV tonight and looked at this gutted and twisted piece of metal that once was my pride and joy I thought, "Man would I be in a different place mentally if it wasn't for the guys on the Board". Just having a hope to be back in one has made all the difference. Thanks again everyone.

For those who need to know, Burbank is the Closest airport. Not sure what it's called today. It's gone through several names in the last 20 years.

If I understand correctly, here's a list of who's coming, so far:

LCJ
me

orange45
landcrusher909-maybe bringing a sleeping trailer?
calico kid
kellyo
D'animal
Wasabi
66lv
DanS HJ-45
dhondagod
temecula tim-bringing an RV
colangut-

Last edited:
Mark,

Put me down as a very strong maybe. If my wife is not out of town that weekend with the "kids", I would like to come and help out.

Tim:steer:

Unfortunately, I can't make the build -day :(

BUT I can get you some parts.

What other LV stuff is needed for this awesome beer/build party?

I can ship stuff ALL over the country for cheap.....just ask Merbesfield!

Let me know how I can help!!

Jeff
720-320-8207

Tub pickup scheduled for the 1st or so :D

Pick Up

Tub pickup scheduled for the 1st or so :D
Mace give me a call anytime next week What day will work for you ? My Daughter live out there so I might leave a day early. :cheers:

Mace give me a call anytime next week What day will work for you ? My Daughter live out there so I might leave a day early. :cheers:

I'll be in Denver till the 3rd of June. Do you want me to call before I get back?

Mace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom