Project IRON MOOSE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RLMS

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.redlinelandcruisers.com
Well, this will be our first build up in the pig section. We are excited to see what you guys think of her during the process, and we wanted to show everyone our latest piggy project for a great customer.

First we must say, the truck is a 79 and it's in great condition. I know most of you cringe when a very clean pig that does not need much in the lines of body work or any work for that matter, goes under a knife, I do to but this pig is a great start for a daily mild, camping wheeler.

So on the list for the build will include the following:

5.3l with 4l60e
orion
twin sticks
arb's front and rear
4:88's
chromoly shafts front and rear
FJ-60 front axle swap
FF F-j-60 rear with disc brake conversion
Custom Red Line SOA conversion
Power steering conversion
A/C conversion
Front custom Red Line bumper
Rear custom Red Line bumper and tire carrier
Custom sliders
Full mandril bent stainless steel custom exhaust

We can always assume that during builds like these things will/ might change for whatever reason. So we shall see what changes happen

Hopefully everyone will enjoy this one!!

Justin

Cool Justin.......looking forward to it and the pics:cheers:

Some pics of her before she gets the knife!!!!

Justin
iron moose trailer pic.jpg
FILE0006.jpg
FILE0009.jpg

"daily mild, and camping wheeler" with THOSE mods?

Sounds like a full blown build. Can't wait to watch it transpire.

Cool. I'm currently in the process of doing much of the same conversion. I'm just now working on the 5.3/4l60e mounting. I should have some pictures by this weekend if my time in the garage is productive.

Last week I picked up some 60 axles for SOA. We can share notes.

Forgot to mention, the spring over means you can use the stock truck oil pan also:cheers: Deeper pan = more oil = cooler engine.

Speaking of cooler engine, what are your cooling plans? I LOVE the Griffin in my FJ55.

We are going to do a custom rad, probably a dual pass aluminum rad, with dual spall 11" fans. This will also have a spall dual fan controller running the fans!

This will ensure a nice cool running motor. Just the way we like it!

Justin

Cool. I'm currently in the process of doing much of the same conversion. I'm just now working on the 5.3/4l60e mounting. I should have some pictures by this weekend if my time in the garage is productive.

Last week I picked up some 60 axles for SOA. We can share notes.

Sounds a little like my build... just smaller;):lol: Mine is 6.0L to NV4500 to NP203 to split case(well, almost there currently using one piece case) with Dana 60s, 4.88s and 35" tires.

You might consider a split case unless you are doing a HD input and output main shaft on the orion... even then I'd be a little leary on the nose cone:eek:

What size tire are you going to run? If it is 35s, I'll tell you right now that 4.88s are WAY too deep. I wish I would have gone 4.56s for my 35s (6.0L Vortec and NV4500) but that "I might goto 37s" kept me at 4.88s.

Also, keep in mind that the FJ55 has a much shorter front driveshaft than an FJ40 (stock to stock comparison) so keep an eye on your drivetrain bias... ESPECIALLY with the spring over. You might consider going NP203 to splitcase over an orion... equal length driveshafts (this is what my setup is)

Also, don't let anyone talk you away from the truck intake. It'll fit perfectly under the later model "hump" hood of an FJ55. It squeaked in on my early hood.

For PS, I would HIGHLY recommend a scout or FJ60 style outside the frame type setup.

Otherwise, looks like it should be a nice build up:cheers:

We will be running at least 37" tires!!

Dana's need at least 37" tires IMHO due to G/C. But non the less it. Sounds like you will have a good looking beast Lil John!!!! With the manual and the tons you should be good!!!:steer:

We will be keeping the truck pan and intake, as for the 203....stuff ...The orion will be just fine for this truck due to the auto sucking up the hard driveline jerks!!

Justin

Ok, so we are still waiting on our backordered Orion and adapter to the 4l60e, so we have striped the engine bay, cleaned it ect.. We have also gotten the fj-60 rear FF axle ready and rebuilt with the ARB. Until we get these parts we won't set the suspension, so we built some custom sliders for the old girl!!

We still have to do a final clean and polish and gusset's. We won't paint them until the truck is close to being finished!

made of 2x3 and 120 wall DOM for 5500 lbs of oink meat!!

Justin
FILE0003.jpg

Thanks Dave, Come by anytime!!

So for process on the armor we have been building some parts for the front bumper. The idea is for the bumpier to have a simple, classic feel with a slight modern stinger and rad hoop protection. This will also have a winch plate and 1" d-ring mounts!

Main rail is 2x4x.188 way req. tubing, we pie cut the ends and did draw backs on the ends.

Justin
FILE0004.jpg
FILE0009.jpg

why didn't you run the d-ring mounts through the bumper to mount to the frame? Would be a stronger attachment, no?

They are weld on mounts and we bevel them for a nice seat. I have never had one even think about coming off. Also we have tested these mounts on our 55 bumper on the War Pig for years, and she has been many places, many times that she should not have been. They have done just fine!

very cool!!

Justin, those rock sliders look awesome. Great work with those!

The bumper is looking good as well, can't wait to see that take shape.

Thanks for the pics and updates.

Update, we are waiting for our winch plate to be cut on the front bumper so, we are in the process of using one of our 60 series solid rock bumpers for the rear of the 55. With some mods she should turn out real nice!!

Justin

We have gotten the main structure on and welded the frame mounts to it. the main mounts are 3/4 in laser cut plates with d ring mounts. These bolt on the rear frame horns with grade 8 7/16 and 1/2 bolts. We actually cut the rear body mount rivets out and threw in the 7/16 bolts in those holes! Not that we have it fully done yet..

Then we needed some 1/4 protection, so we cut some 1/4 plate to match the ends. we will have a top cap that flows with the radius of the rear corners and we are thinking we will have some tube come off of the top plate and the vertical plate with a fish mouth cut to protect the upper portion of the rear 1/4's

for our swing out we are going with a drivers pivot and full swing arm for the centered tire and high lift mount.

Justin
FILE0012.jpg
FILE0014.jpg
FILE0015.jpg

Hey Justin. Nice quality work and looking good! :clap:

I like the fact that you are keeping it simple and not too bulky. I also like how it wraps around the lower quarter panel for protection and if I understand correctly, you will be adding some tubing around the quarters as well. I personally like that.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom