Builds Project Bluebird and the tale of an engine rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started the east end of the Georgia Traverse this weekend. Huge thanks to @wngrog for posting his trip there a few years ago. Friday night we made it in at dusk and camped a few miles in. We barely had time set up before the rains came.
BDCA61EA-CBE4-49F8-BF79-1E5CF5C22E88.jpeg

Also a sneak of my pork belly dish for the swine soirée this year. Unless I make something else...
3E6AB731-D629-442D-92B4-BB057C8778E6.jpeg

The next morning we took a few pics of the campsite and picked up some trash. It’s sad how trashy some people leave these sites. We could fit it all but took what we could. We then headed out. First way point for the cemetery we drove close to but the last section looked a little too intense for my lack of real off-road experience and it being early morning. Got back on the traverse and had a blast on the roads Made it forty miles at lunchtime and went into Clayton for lunch. I highly suggest the Rusty Bike. They have the best onion rings I’ve had in my life. My buddy both had burgers which were great also.
D16D2C6C-78E6-4FC2-AD0D-D0A285E2AB72.jpeg

Passed a waterfall and scenic outlook after lunch.
DB62630B-ABD9-4589-BDC2-A0086161F707.jpeg
188A6FEE-DA3E-4EF0-92E6-C4EBA5E98EBD.jpeg

All in all, it was a great start to the day.

The afternoon was certainly the time I gained some off-roading experience. Not too far in we were back in the forest. We found ourselves behind a line of Toyota’s led by a 62. There was also a Tacoma and a 200 series with a temp tag. They pulled over to check a side road and we drove on. Shorty thereafter the need for 4low was apparent. Maybe not for everyone but we took it slow and steady. The trail was fun, not too technical and not too plain. Then on a long steep grade up
I tore the driver motor mount. Not a big deal but boy did the fan make a loud racket. I don’t have a ton of pictures because I started playing with the GoPro 360 and my buddy his drone. There were a couple small water crossings and the traverse followed the Tallulah River for a while. Then came the big water crossing for the river. We initially missed the entrance and turned around. Then the series of events that led to my mistake occurred. There were quite a few rigs around and we pulled over to watch a Rubicon go across. He made it with ease. Seeing his ease I backed up and drove in. Fun fact the left side was quite the drop. Front end did fine but my rear slammed down hard. I was already in the water and it was still running so we didn’t stop. After we crossed the truck seemed louder and the it tried to die, flashing a check engine light. Immediate inspection showed that the exhaust had been crushed flat. We used some pliers and hammers to open as best we could.
BA721752-7DAB-415A-A2DC-30EC62071578.jpeg

Feeling that this was enough “off-road” experience for the day we talked to a great guy in a 4Runner trd-pro who confirmed there was a nearby campsite. We pressed on through traffic and made without issue. The campsite was gorgeous and next to the river.
4BD87BAD-0928-48FE-8CA9-C534D98B27A4.jpeg

We could see the trail and watched the rigs go by into the evening. We saw the previous group of Toyotas go past and several 80s and Rubicons among others. The highlight was definitely the two VW’s come roaring by. I believe they were Touaregs. Who knew those things were that capable? We had just finished setting up camp when a rotten tree fell across the entrance. Luckily my buddy had brought his electric chainsaw. We cut and moved the tree without much fuss. The evening concluded with a couple steaks by the creek. The trip home was long hot and loud. My previously slow ac leak(one can a season) had let all the refrigerant out and the rain had gone so it was sunny and hot. We drove on and the it got loud, really loud. The exhaust had torn the top off the catalytic converted flange when it got crushed. 90db per an Apple Watch. Ear plugs helped but we ended up moving an exhaust clamp to somewhat hold the exhaust in place for the rest of the ride home. All in all fun time and a great ride. We can’t wait to go back to work on finishing the Georgia Traverse. This week has been spa week for Bluebird. I detailed the inside. Ordered some parts. Today I’ve been replacing ac orings. Looking forward to the next adventure already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom