Fresh engine rebuild, oil pan gasket slightly wet, will cork swell? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took the old girl for a ride yesterday, and after I got back I was checking for leaks and noticed the back of the oil pan where the curved part sits on the last main bearing cap was wet, and there may have been one drip. I wiped it dry and this morning there doesn’t appear to be any fresh drips.

I used a Toyota OEM oil pan gasket with Toyota black sealant on both sides.

What are my chances the cork swells a bit and this leak stops? I really don’t want to take this pan back off :)

IMG_0160.jpeg

are you 1000% sure both surfaces were clean to the metal? I only ask that because when I got my cruiser and the pan gasket was leaking, I found the previous person neglected to dig out the half moon section of the old gasket and the new gasket was sitting right on top of it. In my cruiser's case, I can't imagine that ever sealed correctly in the first place.

It could just be residual, when I'm investigating leaks, I always spray with some iso alcohol and then wipe it clean. Other than that, I'd say re-torque the pan nuts/bolts and keep an eye on it. Fingers crossed for you.

are you 1000% sure both surfaces were clean to the metal? I only ask that because when I got my cruiser and the pan gasket was leaking, I found the previous person neglected to dig out the half moon section of the old gasket and the new gasket was sitting right on top of it. In my cruiser's case, I can't imagine that ever sealed correctly in the first place.

It could just be residual, when I'm investigating leaks, I always spray with some iso alcohol and then wipe it clean. Other than that, I'd say re-torque the pan nuts/bolts and keep an eye on it. Fingers crossed for you.
Yes, I had the blocked hot tanked and cleaned at the machine shop. The oil pan had been leaking since I bought it and I cleaned all of the surfaces thoroughly. I also wire wheeled the oil pan flange itself to remove all of the old cork.

I let it run for a while today, and so far no drips. Fingers crossed here!

I noticed similar when I did the gasket on my FJ62, it was a bit wet for a few days and might have left 2 or 3 drips on the driveway. Hasn't leaked a drop since

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom