Project Blueberry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm back with an old to me/new to me cruiser. I never properly introduced this cruiser to ONSC as far as I remember and a quick history search did not show anything so let me explain.
My ex-wife and I bought a 2000 LC with 69,000 miles on it in 9/2006. By 12/06 I had replaced the starter (what a nightmare) and a couple of ignition coils. It developed the well documented manifold tick after some time so I installed a set of Doug Thorley headers (even worse nightmare) and a cat back system, I can't remember the brand but it sounds GREAT. I painted the wheels to match the trim and from there just maintained it.

In 2016 my wife and I decided to divorce (we are still friendly) and she kept the 100.
She is not much of a car person but she loves the 100 and was good about oil changes and timing belt replacements. She would call from time to time asking for advice on some issue with the 100. With over 200K miles those calls became more frequent.
About six months ago she called and said it was leaking antifreeze. She sent me a video and it turned out to be the heater T-fittings in the back of the engine bay. So I bought the fittings and replaced them for her. I noticed at the time that it was getting long in the tooth, it had about 250K miles at that point.
Fast forward to one month ago she calls again and says the rear driver door won't latch. I go over with a come along strap and cinch the door closed to get her home. Then the next day she calls again saying the engine is smoking and is overheating. I thought the worst. I went over with some antifreeze to check it out. Turns out it was just a leaking radiator and she had pulled over immediately so no further damage was done.
I called her and said that she needed a radiator, a door latch, four tires, and who knows what else. I made an offer to buy it from her so that she could use that as a downpayment on something new/different, knowing that trade-in would be worthless or impossible in its current state. So three weeks ago the 40 got kicked out of the garage and an old to me/new to me 100 series took its place.

Don't get your hopes up to high, my projects are more of the refurbishment/maintenance variety than off-road build and this thing needs a fair amount of both. I replaced the radiator and hoses, degreased the engine, replaced the hood struts, replaced the door latch, replaced the rear quarter trim moulding, and replaced the passenger side mirror. With the new radiator I could drive it around the hood, no tag yet, and realized the brakes pulsated, bad. So today I finished the front brakes including new rotors.
While I was waiting for parts I removed all of the wood grain trim due to how aged it was, I'm not sure who makes the double sided tape for that wood grain but you could build a house with it. After 21 years that stuff was still stuck.
I also noticed that the wheels I painted years ago were starting to chip. Tire guys zinging the lugs nuts off and exterior wheel weights did a number on them. I just so happened to have some of the original paint left over and touched them up as well.

This is how it looked when I brought it home three weeks ago.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg

New hood struts, radiator, hoses, and engine degrease
6.jpeg

Wood grain trim removed
7.jpeg

Passenger front rotor. The pads were fairly new so obviously someone just installed pads and didn't touch the rotors.
8.jpeg

New pads and rotors. The CV's are leaking and the grease destroyed the sway bar bushings, so the fun is not over yet.
9.jpeg

Knowing you, that thing is going to look like new , in no time.

Nice work, Brad!

Please share your thoughts on Partsouq, Hendrick, and other supply sites. I know you've done a fair bit of comparison shopping.

Nice work, Brad!

Please share your thoughts on Partsouq, Hendrick, and other supply sites. I know you've done a fair bit of comparison shopping.
Partsouq seems to have less parts available than Hendrick, ie- radiators & windshields, but they are cheaper on some parts and if you can find enough of those cheaper parts to make the shipping worth it then its a good deal. Also they shipped me parts from Dubai in less than a week.
Hendrick of Concord ONLINE has reasonable prices. I called the parts department and asked for a price on a radiator they quoted me $545ish. I went to their online parts portal and the price was $345ish. I have ordered three times from Hendrick so far and they have a two day turn around.
Also, If you pick up in store, you don't pay for shipping.
Basically my first order was from Partsouq because I had decent sized list and the parts were slightly cheaper from them. Ordering 12 parts of minimal weight didn't affected the shipping cost that much. Once you start talking about radiators and rotors shipping becomes more of an issue.

I noticed that a lot of other Toyota dealers around the country use the same portal as Hendrick. I just goggled Toyota parts and there were a couple of dealers in the mid west that had similar prices but the shipping was going to be expensive.

Blueberry was the name of slee's sas'd 100 back in the day. Can't wait to see what you do with this truck.

I just installed a Slee Blueberry bumper on a buddy’s LX about a month ago! Sharp looking bumper. Me thinks Brad’s Blueberry needs a proper Blueberry bumper!
360F5ED9-D92D-43F7-91EC-8A68230D31B9.jpeg

Blueberry was the name of slee's sas'd 100 back in the day. Can't wait to see what you do with this truck.

Yeah for a second Brad may have bought it. Tge buyer never resurfaced on Mud

I never knew Slee used the name Blueberry, or maybe I forgot. Either way this Blueberry will never fill those shoes and the name was not meant to be an homage to his 100. I was never a big fan of the color of this cruiser but when we were searching this one was the best we could find in our price range. The color always struck me as a blueberry.

I have never been one to name vehicles but now that I own two it makes it easier to differentiate between the two for those who don't know what a 40 or 100 means. Of course I pick the name of a famous cruiser.:doh:

More progress albeit slow progress. I have very little time for a project like this and the list of issues were too long and/or too involved for me to tackle in a timely manner so I took it in to the dealership for service. I did a fair amount of negotiating and if you buy the parts online they will offer you a 20% service discount.

The completed list includes:
-90K service, to include new timing belt, water pump, thermostat, drive belt (after I replaced the radiator I was still losing coolant slowly, the thermostat housing and water pump were weeping and it was about time for the 90K service anyway)
-four new shocks
-two new CV shafts (one was aftermarket and all four boots were leaking)
-new coolant, brake fluid, & power steering fluid
-new steering shaft (rack is good, no more wandering)
-alignment

Next up is new tires, driver seat leather repair/replace, new radio
I'll update a year from now when I get all this done. :hillbilly:

You guys remember that movie The Money Pit with Tom Hanks? That's how this 100 is feeling right about now.
That one part where he is stuck in the floor for hours so he starts singing the name game song, ironically one of the names he sings is Brad.

Looking good. I thought Fred Anderson Parts were the least expensive especially since you can pick them up and avoid the shipping charge.

What was bad about the DT headers? I have had them for years and no issues after the first batch of crap metal ones were replaced? 100 drives so much better with dt headers and ems exhaust.

As far as tires, I added 265/75 R 16 BFG AT KO2's to my daughters 1999 Blue (bird) 100 and it drives incredible. They do not fill up the wheel well like the 285s but look good, costs less, and provide better mileage than the 285s based on being a little taller and a little more narrow than the odd ball 275/70 R 16 original equipment tires. I really like the navy blue on the 100s and they are rare to see.

I know your spending a fortune but at least 100s are appreciating and well worth it.

What was your method for wood grain removal? I have some really stubborn pieces on other daughters 2000 100.

Keep the pictures and updates coming.

Last edited:
@uzj100

I used Hendrick of Concord for service. They are right around the corner and seem to have decent pricing.

The DT headers are awesome, one of the best and only mods I have made to the 100. The nightmare part was the installation. This was my ex's daily at the time and I'm in the garage with the engine hoist lifting the engine a few inches to get clearance for installation. Stacking as many extensions and swivels as I can to get bolts off and back on. I remember it taking days.

You make a good case for the 265's. I can't get the factory 275's in the Michelin LTX that I prefer, they are on BO. I have been considering the 285's since that opens up a lot of options including the LTX and I like the look, plus, since the 100 isn't a daily anymore mileage isn't as critical.

For the wood grain removal I just used my daughters hair dryer and a plastic trim removal tool. It takes some effort but they eventually came off very clean. Those plastic trim removal tools are awesome. I picked up a set from Harbor Freight and wish I had them years ago.

Not much to see with the latest round of maintenance but I will keep the pics coming when I have something worth documenting.

While baselining a vehicle that has a good bit of deferred maintenance may be frustrating in the moment…. It ends up being quite soothing and satisfying with each little improvement! I am going to enjoy this thread.

So it’s nice and black under the wood? I always thought people had to wrap the wood or underneath…. Kinda ingenious to skip that step if unnecessary!

Btw quick tip, that u probably know already…. I’ve had awesome luck with restoring faded exterior plastic with a oil paint product intended to remove brush marks…. Called Penetrol Flood, can be bought at the big box stores for like $7 and lasts a good bit of time longer than the other auto specific products…. The heep guys use it on their fenders and hard tops.

@uzj100
That as the kit I bought. Works well.

@joyRidaz
We spoke about that product at the meeting but I am just now getting around to looking it up. That looks interesting. Something I need for the old plastic trim on the Taco for sure.

Small update...
The keys for a 100 series are terribly designed, at least the '98-'04ish keys. A big bulky plastic fob with very little metal for structure results in twisting the key out of the plastic shell after a number of times starting the 100. I remember back around '06-'08 trying to superglue the original shells back together which didn't work and then buying blank keys with new shells. When I got the 100 back I had two keys that were missing shells and a new blank with attached empty shells. I got the new blank cut and have been using it for about a month and I could already feel the new key I was using had too much flex and would not last long.
Looking around MUD I came across YoyaMD's 100 series key fob.
YMD1 - Titanium Reinforced Toyota/Lexus Key Kit - https://www.yotamd.com/collections/frontpage/products/titanium-toyota-lexus-key-kit-black
I decided to give it shot and ordered 2 fobs. They are not cheap but I can tell a huge difference in the rigidity of the new shells and it will be nice not to have to worry about this issue again for the foreseeable future.
tempImageRPtbS0.jpg

Thats all for now. I have a couple of other things in the works and will update when there is progress.

Ole Blueberry is in dire need of new tires.
Apparently the stock size is not popular anymore and the tire selection is slim. I prefer the Michelin LTX's but they are on backorder until the first of the year and I need tires yesterday. After a lot of internal debate and searching on MUD regarding tire size, type, and brand I decided on the BFG AT's in the stock size.
After deciding on tires I had to decide what to do about the wheels. I purchased an extra set of wheels years ago and painted them a dark metallic grey to match the trim, then stored the original wheels. They looked good for a number of years but now have chips in the paint from air guns and tire changers. I dusted off and washed the original set of wheels to get a good look at them and remembered why I wanted new wheels years ago. The factory paint has started to wear off and they didn't look the best. So I called a local powder coater and we discussed what I wanted. We talked for about 45 min and that afternoon I dropped the wheels off. They called me back within 24 hours and said I could pick them up. The pricing and turn around time was excellent.
The color match between the center caps and the wheels is not great but I kind of like the contrast.
Here is a pic of the wheels after powder coating. I failed to take a before picture.
I have an appointment to install the new tires on Saturday and will follow up with a picture of them installed.
IMG_9666.jpeg

I was finally able to get the new tires mounted on the new wheels. There is a noticeable difference between the way it drives now vs when I first got it.
I also removed the running boards, been wanting to do that for years. Took my daughter several days to get used to. :)
I also bead blasted and painted the windshield wipers, no pics.
Before and after pics...

1639852371867.png
IMG_0097.jpeg

Next on the list, in no particular order...
-front windshield
-front seat leather replacement
-powder coat roof rack
-new radio

Looks awesome. What size did you decide on? My oldest has a 1999 navy blue with black wheels and 265/75 R 16s - BFG AT KO2s. Those look like 265s.

The 265s drive really good. I am not sure if it is the weight of tire or width or a little bit of both.

I went with 275/70. The ride is great but I noticed a slight decrease in acceleration.
The BFGs are a little heavier than the LTXs that were on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom