Project '84 FJ60: aka Mr. Hanky (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all I want to say I truly dig ih8mud.com and enjoy reading about everyone's trucks and some of the wild buildups out there. I'm "gnx7" as I built up a few Buick Grand National powered RX-7's as my first introduction to wrenching/fabrication.

I thought I would start a thread about the buildup of my truck which is an '84 FJ60 with 134K miles on it now. I purchased it for $3K with a rusty roof/hood in mid 2005, stock suspension, fugly old school Centerline rims/31x10.5" tires, and a pretty clean interior. I like the classic round headlight look, tons of room, good highway ride, manual transmission and out of the box good wheeler. A friend has one also and helped get me into them. I've always been into mechanical things and have built 2 different Buick Grand National powered RX-7's, and 1 LS1/T56 powered RX-7.

First thing to do was to replace the very bouncy stock and tired suspension with an OME 2.5" lift kit and 15x8 powdercoated steelies with 33x12.5" ProComp A/T tires. The truck rode so much better it wasn't even funny. I retained the stock 3:70 gears which are bearable... it either needs more power or deeper gears now.

Next on the list as I live 1 block from the beach in San Francisco (Ocean Beach) was to tackle the rust and restore the exterior. I drove the truck down to SoCal to a friend's bodyshop where I was hoping to get a good job done on the cheap. ha ha ha. Well after seeing the rust he said he would take care of it... but it ended up costing more than I wanted to spend ($3500 which was a "bro" deal), but I'm sure it would've cost more if I got it painted here in the SF Bay Area. The roof was pretty bad and had barnacles and some small holes starting to appear. I knew it wasn't pretty. Well after 10 weeks I went and picked it up and it looks better than factory. Factory rootbeer brown with some pearl in it. aka "Mr. Hanky"

So I have been noticing that I get a lovely 12-13mpg going an indicated 55-60mph on my speedo (about 65mph) and the engine also is consuming about 1 pint of coolant every 500 miles. I assume either the head gasket is beginning to fail or the head is cracked. I'm doing a leakdown test this weekend to get a better indication.

Like all vehicles I've owned I need more power. Next on the list is either an LS1 ('99 Camaro donor) with a TH700R4 or a 5.3 ('99+ truck) motor. I purchased Waggoner's TH700R4 he had behind his LT1 with AA kit to mate up to the stock FJ60 Tcase (he went 502 Mercruiser/4L80E). I'm going to try to do the conversion as cheaply as possible. (we'll see)

Next part of the buildup will be pulling the 2F engine/transmission and dropping in the LSx style engine and TH700R4 in about 1-2 months when the weather gets a little better. I'm hoping for about 350hp/400ft/lbs tq (bigger cam/ported heads/Camaro headers) and 15-16mpg on the highway. The LS1 is all aluminum and weighs about 220lbs less than the 2F and will have 2x the torque and nearly 3x the horsepower.

So is a before pic of where I was at. The "after" pics are too big to host them here. Can someone host about 4 pics that are 1MB each?

Any website suggestions where to host some pics for free? Putfile?
MrHankyprelift.JPG

MrHankyprelift.jpg

Hankyroof1.jpg

Hankyhood.jpg

HankyfrontOB.jpg

Last edited:
That finished pic looks awesome!

Thank you very much for hosting those Doc. One of the few sunny days in SF at the beach :crybaby: . It can get foggy/overcast for weeks at times.

Forgot to mention I had the holes filled in the rocker panels and removed the chrome roof trim and added CoolCruisers FJ-62 style mirrors/ new Toyota emblems on rear 1/4's. The mirrors shake a bit on the highway but I have 4x the visibility over the sad and small stock FJ-60 mirrors... so for $100 it is a good tradeoff.

Last edited:
Looks good man! I remember talking with you a little b/f you are making me look bad :)

Again great job!!!

Please do a thread on the swap and take plenty of pics. And do a write-up. If you buy a star you can psot as many pics as you want. (I need to, just been slack.

Picturetrail.com

lets you post up 40 or so photos for free, then it's $20 or so for a bigger "album"

looking good

i got my fj62 from your neighborhood, the salt air didn't do it any favors in the rust department. not as bad as the rustbelt trucks though

what did you do with the old rims?

That root beer looking color is really sharp. It turned out real well.

Great idea adding pearl to the basic color! Mind if I copy?

I have 2 rootbeers: stock '83 & '84 with 5.7 Vortec/4L60E. Don't think you can go wrong with the LS1, but how do you account for the non-controllability of the 700R4 assuming you're keeping the stock engine management of the LS1?

I was visiting my seester in SF over fleet weekend & saw 2 60s: 1st one dropping off inventory at the pier by the
Slanted Door, & 2nd one poking down highway 1.

Last edited:
"So I have been noticing that I get a lovely 12-13mpg going an indicated 55-60mph on my speedo (about 65mph) and the engine also is consuming about 1 pint of coolant every 500 miles. I assume either the head gasket is beginning to fail or the head is cracked. I'm doing a leakdown test this weekend to get a better indication."

I once had a phantom leak as well.It was on 90's chevy pickup.It would use about a half gallon of water every 5 or 6 hundred miles.I thought it was a head but didn't smoke white,get hot or anything.Just didn't add up.Turned out to be a leaky frost plug.It took me forever to track it down.I guess it only leaked under pressure while driving then it then would evaporate off the side of the engine.It finally got bad enough to where it would leak when it was cold,thats how I found it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom