Programming LX470 Key Fob (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Both of them would and should. That is NOT diagnostic of a Master Key however.

Do you have a working security light?

View attachment 2599687
Yes I do. I believe it is blinking as it should. For example, once I shut off the car and remove the key from the ignition, the light will blink again. Also, the light will glow solid for a few seconds once I lock the doors from the outside with the key, then blink as normal. Security light is off once engine is started or car is turned to “on” on the ignition.

Yes I do. I believe it is blinking as it should. For example, once I shut off the car and remove the key from the ignition, the light will blink again. Also, the light will glow solid for a few seconds once I lock the doors from the outside with the key, then blink as normal. Security light is off once engine is started or car is turned to “on” on the ignition.

Good....all of that sounds normal. So back to the keys you have.

Run this test. Insert key into ignition (do not turn on).

Master Key.jpg

Good....all of that sounds normal. So back to the keys you have.

Run this test. Insert key into ignition (do not turn on).

View attachment 2599714
Neither the master nor the key valet key does either. I confirmed this when I tried to program a new master key myself.

To confirm, I could start the engine even if my supposedly master or valet key can’t do the above? The new key I tried to program could not start the engine as it should since it’s not programmed.

Neither the master nor the key valet key does either. I confirmed this when I tried to program a new master key myself.

To confirm, I could start the engine even if my supposedly master or valet key can’t do the above? The new key I tried to program could not start the engine as it should since it’s not programmed.

Sounds like you'll need to have your ECU re-flashed then. Have you tried deleting all previous keys?

Sounds like you'll need to have your ECU re-flashed then. Have you tried deleting all previous keys?
I can’t delete keys as that requires going into programming mode which it can’t do because the master doesn’t turn of the security light when inserted.

Looks like a re-flash is the next logical step. I’m hoping that the person that I replied to in this thread that has the same exact problem replies back if they were able to find a solution.

I can’t delete keys as that requires going into programming mode which it can’t do because the master doesn’t turn of the security light when inserted.

Looks like a re-flash is the next logical step. I’m hoping that the person that I replied to in this thread that has the same exact problem replies back if they were able to find a solution.

Good luck with it.

Have you tried using Techstream software? It is the easiest way to program the immobilizer function. If you are getting errors shown in the #26 post, then your key fob chip may be incompatible.
I have tried techstream without success. I was getting the same error message as shown in post #26. Do you know know where I could get the chip by itself. The key is already cut.

Hi, any luck on this issue? I have the same issue. My current master and valet key does not disable the security feature until I turn the ignition to on or start the engine. When I insert the key, but don’t turn it, the security light just blinks, therefore like you, I can’t get it into programming mode. If your driver door is open and you insert the key in the ignition, do you get the key left in ignition beeping? I don’t and I’m wondering if that has something to do with it.

My Indy Toyota shop that I go to could not program me a new key either via software or manually because they too could not get the truck into programming mode. Hoping to have to not go to the dealer to run a full diagnostics.
No I have not been able to resolve the issue. Like you, the local shop was not able to program the key. If the key is inserted with the driver door open it will only beeping if they key is at the ON position. I don't know if thats normal or not. Unlike you, when I first got the car, the key will turn off the security light immediately when it's inserted. I dont know when it's stopped doing that. I even tried to program with techstream without success. The program recognized my key as master and I deleted all other keys besides the one I currently have. But every time i ran the program i got the error message similar to the one on post #26. At this point I don't know what to do anymore.

No I have not been able to resolve the issue. Like you, the local shop was not able to program the key. If the key is inserted with the driver door open it will only beeping if they key is at the ON position. I don't know if thats normal or not. Unlike you, when I first got the car, the key will turn off the security light immediately when it's inserted. I dont know when it's stopped doing that. I even tried to program with techstream without success. The program recognized my key as master and I deleted all other keys besides the one I currently have. But every time i ran the program i got the error message similar to the one on post #26. At this point I don't know what to do anymore.
Thanks for the reply. Yes my truck will beep when the door is open and the key in the “on” position, but not just inserted. It should beep when just inserted by default to remind you that you have the key in the ignition.

At this point it’s seems like a costly visit to the dealer for a diagnostic or ecu re-flash. Sigh...I just want simple keyless entry as I hate having to open and lock the land cruiser via inserting the key into the door.

Are after market keyless entry and alarm systems viable in this case?

Thank you so much. Where can I get them.Do you have the part# ? I can also buy it from you if that's an option.

This is the error I get.

View attachment 2538891

View attachment 2538892

Thanks for the reply. Yes my truck will beep when the door is open and the key in the “on” position, but not just inserted. It should beep when just inserted by default to remind you that you have the key in the ignition.

At this point it’s seems like a costly visit to the dealer for a diagnostic or ecu re-flash. Sigh...I just want simple keyless entry as I hate having to open and lock the land cruiser via inserting the key into the door.

Are after market keyless entry and alarm systems viable in this case?
To me this sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Like there isn't power to the ecu at all until the ignition is switched on.

To me this sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Like there isn't power to the ecu at all until the ignition is switched on.
Is there a way to test it out? Like an external connection to test whether the ECU is getting enough power or not when the ignition is not on.

I did remove the ECU and plugged everything back in to make sure all the connections are tight but same results. Could it be that my battery is weak?

Could well be. 👍 Internal corrosion from a leaky windshield is not unheard of.

Is there a way to test it out?

Yes, the FSM outlines a bunch of ways to test the ECU....but I hope you are a patient person. This would likely take you down a lot of rabbit holes.

I hope it's okay to piggyback on this jam packed key thread, to seek some help?

I have a 1999 Landcruiser VX (UZJ100). I am in Canada, but this is a JDM model. The key is the internally cut type, and matches the long key TOY40, that seems to be widely available, uncut. I'm having trouble finding a place to cut the blanks I sourced, and this is our only key, so you can imagine my concern.

My question is can anyone recommend a viable source of photo cutting, like the excellent ebay seller in the initial thread. That looked to be exactly what I was looking for, except they explicitly state they won't ship to Canada...

Cheers all for the great info in this thread so far.

I hope it's okay to piggyback on this jam packed key thread, to seek some help?

I have a 1999 Landcruiser VX (UZJ100). I am in Canada, but this is a JDM model. The key is the internally cut type, and matches the long key TOY40, that seems to be widely available, uncut. I'm having trouble finding a place to cut the blanks I sourced, and this is our only key, so you can imagine my concern.

My question is can anyone recommend a viable source of photo cutting, like the excellent ebay seller in the initial thread. That looked to be exactly what I was looking for, except they explicitly state they won't ship to Canada...

Cheers all for the great info in this thread so far.

Here where I am locksmiths wanted $35 each just to cut the keys. I have 3 lexus with internal cut keys and didn't want to pay that much. I ended up buying a Defu 368a key machine. It is a simple duplicator, but works good. I have cut quite a few keys for myself and our local club members.

2000 Landcruiser
I just had a situation where the key was known as a master by the truck but the remote would not lock and unlock.
If you held the remote lock button down it would fast flash the light on the key.
While trying to enter programming I had issues because I wasn’t doing it just right. Once it went into programming I held the buttons down on the remote as the instructions and it worked. The key not only was married to the security system but it worked to lock and lock.
Lock and unlock 5 times using the lock at the inside door handle not the power door lock button. Then follow up by hitting the lock on the power door lock button at each 5 lock sequence.

2000 Landcruiser
I just had a situation where the key was known as a master by the truck but the remote would not lock and unlock.
If you held the remote lock button down it would fast flash the light on the key.
While trying to enter programming I had issues because I wasn’t doing it just right. Once it went into programming I held the buttons down on the remote as the instructions and it worked. The key not only was married to the security system but it worked to lock and lock.
Lock and unlock 5 times using the lock at the inside door handle not the power door lock button. Then follow up by hitting the lock on the power door lock button at each 5 lock sequence.

^^^^

Very important. I also found with mine that a 'cadence' (about 1 second between each cycle) was necessary. These things can be quite picky and have you doing the Hokey Pokie in order to get them to work. In the end....I was able to program all of mine.

I recently purchased a 2002 LX 470. It only had one master and one valet key, so I figured it would be a good idea to get some spares. Local locksmiths quoted $160 to cut/program a key. I didn't like that price. Then I saw a post by @katit for photo-cut keys on ebay. It was $35 and they fit perfectly. I used my current master key to program the two new keys following the instructions in this thread (from FAQs). Finally, I needed to program the fobs to lock/unlock the doors. The instructions provided from the ebay purchase did not work. The thread titled "Door locks programming" on FAQs seemed to be just for programing the locks to lock when shifting to park (let me know if I missed something...), not to program the fobs to work. After a lot of experimenting with the instructions I was provided with the keys, with various threads on here, and with youtube videos, I was able to program the fobs. Here is the sequence I used:
  1. Lock all doors
  2. Using driver's door MANUAL lock lever, UNLOCK and OPEN driver's door
  3. Insert key into the ignition (do not turn) and then remove the key
  4. Using driver's door MANUAL lock lever, LOCK and UNLOCK door 5 times
  5. Close the door, then open the door
  6. Using driver's door MANUAL lock lever, LOCK and UNLOCK door 5 times
  7. Insert key into ignition and turn to ON then OFF once, the remove key
  8. The driver's door will now lock and unlock itself 5 times, signaling it is in programming mode.
  9. Simultaneously press and release the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the remote you want to program
  10. Press and hold the LOCK button on the remote you want to program for about 2 seconds until you hear the locks lock and unlock. This is a confirmation that it worked. If it locks and unlocks twice, the programming has failed.
  11. Repeat steps 9-10 for each additional key that you want to program.
  12. Close the driver's door or insert the key into the ignition to exit programming mode

A few notes:
  • I had to do this procedure with my already-programmed key first, and then repeat steps 9-10 with the additional keys after.
  • Some places say you need to perform steps 9-10 outside of the car. That didn't work for me. Inside the car worked.
  • Some places say you need to hold the buttons in step 9 for 1.5 seconds. That didn't work for me. I had to press them once and release, then hold in step 10 for 1-2 seconds until I saw/heard the locks cycle.
  • If you go through steps 1-8 and then mess up step 10, I think it deletes the programming. On one of my earlier attempts I ended up wiping the programming on my initial key. Thankfully I was able to figure out the correct sequence later and restore it.
  • Some places say to go slowly, but I did everything quickly and it was fine.

Attached are photos of the instructions the ebay seller provided me, for reference.

View attachment 2109384

View attachment 2109385

View attachment 2109386
Thank you!!!!! Those instructions disposed of my programmed fob

I recently purchased a 2002 LX 470. It only had one master and one valet key, so I figured it would be a good idea to get some spares. Local locksmiths quoted $160 to cut/program a key. I didn't like that price. Then I saw a post by @katit for photo-cut keys on ebay. It was $35 and they fit perfectly. I used my current master key to program the two new keys following the instructions in this thread (from FAQs). Finally, I needed to program the fobs to lock/unlock the doors. The instructions provided from the ebay purchase did not work. The thread titled "Door locks programming" on FAQs seemed to be just for programing the locks to lock when shifting to park (let me know if I missed something...), not to program the fobs to work. After a lot of experimenting with the instructions I was provided with the keys, with various threads on here, and with youtube videos, I was able to program the fobs. Here is the sequence I used:
  1. Lock all doors
  2. Using driver's door MANUAL lock lever, UNLOCK and OPEN driver's door
  3. Insert key into the ignition (do not turn) and then remove the key
  4. Using driver's door MANUAL lock lever, LOCK and UNLOCK door 5 times
  5. Close the door, then open the door
  6. Using driver's door MANUAL lock lever, LOCK and UNLOCK door 5 times
  7. Insert key into ignition and turn to ON then OFF once, the remove key
  8. The driver's door will now lock and unlock itself 5 times, signaling it is in programming mode.
  9. Simultaneously press and release the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the remote you want to program
  10. Press and hold the LOCK button on the remote you want to program for about 2 seconds until you hear the locks lock and unlock. This is a confirmation that it worked. If it locks and unlocks twice, the programming has failed.
  11. Repeat steps 9-10 for each additional key that you want to program.
  12. Close the driver's door or insert the key into the ignition to exit programming mode

A few notes:
  • I had to do this procedure with my already-programmed key first, and then repeat steps 9-10 with the additional keys after.
  • Some places say you need to perform steps 9-10 outside of the car. That didn't work for me. Inside the car worked.
  • Some places say you need to hold the buttons in step 9 for 1.5 seconds. That didn't work for me. I had to press them once and release, then hold in step 10 for 1-2 seconds until I saw/heard the locks cycle.
  • If you go through steps 1-8 and then mess up step 10, I think it deletes the programming. On one of my earlier attempts I ended up wiping the programming on my initial key. Thankfully I was able to figure out the correct sequence later and restore it.
  • Some places say to go slowly, but I did everything quickly and it was fine.

Attached are photos of the instructions the ebay seller provided me, for reference.

View attachment 2109384

View attachment 2109385

View attachment 2109386
Thanks for sharing this procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom