Programming a Transponder Key for 99 TLC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So these are the keys that came with the LC I bought last week. All of them fit the door and ignition, obviously only the first starts it. Can I just buy something like in the link below and switch the uncut key with my already cut keys, then do the method on the first page and have 3 fully working keys? Anyone have a better method? Thanks.

2 New Uncut Replacement Ignition Key Keyless Remote Fob for HYQ1512V - 4C Chip

28l768k.jpg

Short answer is "yes", assuming the "remotes" in the posted keys are genuine (very low cheap price...). The transponder chip sits in the remote that can easily be moved between different key shells.
I picked up two empty shells on eBay some 5-6 years ago, and just had them cut a few months back. Moved "remote" to new shell and all good.

Of course you also have to reprogram the car to accept the new remotes as well assuming you want to unlock the doors remotely...

And if you cut the keys, make sure you test them "both ways" in a few different locks. One key that was cut for me worked great, the other one would only work one way (and the locksmith admitted he'd screwed up a little bit - but for $4 could not really blame him too much...).

Short answer is "yes", assuming the "remotes" in the posted keys are genuine (very low cheap price...). The transponder chip sits in the remote that can easily be moved between different key shells.
I picked up two empty shells on eBay some 5-6 years ago, and just had them cut a few months back. Moved "remote" to new shell and all good.

Of course you also have to reprogram the car to accept the new remotes as well assuming you want to unlock the doors remotely...

And if you cut the keys, make sure you test them "both ways" in a few different locks. One key that was cut for me worked great, the other one would only work one way (and the locksmith admitted he'd screwed up a little bit - but for $4 could not really blame him too much...).

Thanks. I think for the price I'll take a chance and let everyone know if it works. May end up being a cheap alternative that will help myself and others so I don't mind the gamble.

Just programmed one key and it worked, can't get the lock/unlock features to program though. Something strange I noticed, I don't have a security light on my dash at all, searched the forum and found nothing for 100's. I read about some button under the seat of 80's that has to do with TVSS, going to see if the 100 has this.

It works, just had to do the unlocking/locking manually. So for $35 from the eBay Link above I have 2 new keys that fully work.

Sent from my MotoG3

It works, just had to do the unlocking/locking manually. So for $35 from the eBay Link above I have 2 new keys that fully work.

Sent from my MotoG3

Just to clarify, using those keys from the link, and following the programming procedures, the remote function and the security light behavior is all correct?

So i found out why i couldn't program my new key. The owner before me had stick the transponder of the master key to a coil on the key cylinder (what a stupid idea)! Got it back to key shell and perfectly programmed 2 new keys

So i found out why i couldn't program my new key. The owner before me had stick the transponder of the master key to a coil on the key cylinder (what a stupid idea)! Got it back to key shell and perfectly programmed 2 new keys
Not that uncommon actually, if someone wants to have a remote start working. But glad you managed to find the "problem" and work around it.

if someone wants to have a remote start working.

This could be made in a civilized way. IMHO having transponder in the key coil = help to a car thief.
I believe previous owner did this to make it possible to use folding key shell, such as this:

s-l1600.jpg

They probably had it there so a remote start system would work.

This could be made in a civilized way. IMHO having transponder in the key coil = help to a car thief.
I believe previous owner did this to make it possible to use folding key shell, such as this:
Well, if the "entire" electronics from the LC key is moved over to a key shell like that, the transponder coil follows (hence no need to "tape it" it to he master cylinder).
I agree it is a stupid idea and only helps a car thief, but the cheapest of remote start systems do not have the "coil" to mimic a transponder in a key, and hence hiding the coil is a brute force solution (I did not say redneck...).
My vote is still on a (now removed) remote starter system.
Just glad you got it to work.

So we lost our one and only master key. I'm an idiot and didn't order a spare when I had the chance. Waiting on a quote for a mobile guy to come out and take care of everything, but was wondering about ordering the keys myself and just having him cut and flash.

I see the link above for those ebay keys, but wondering if anyone can attest to the quality or give me an idea for the cost of a quality replacement?

That's good to know. I just called a friend and he's having his guys at his Toyota dealership give me an employee discount. <$200 out the door for new master and flash.

Well it may not have been the owners choice. The alarm i had installed on my LC 99, had remote start and i found out that is exactly what the alarm company did in my situation. And a break in would not allow you to start the vehicle because the alarm also has an immobilizer. I have enjoyed 9 years with my remote start and love it.

Question, didn't read through all the pages but I have an 04 lx. Only came with one key that I assume is master , has Lexus emblem on it. I just bought an aftermarket let on eBay and programming for the doors worked fine. I found programming to start it but unsure if I try and I don't do it correct or it doesn't work, will it mess up the current key I have. Called Sewell and he said it could make where both keys don't work if it's already been programmed. eBay seller had reputable reviews so need advice....should I try it or just use for unlocking if my keys get locked in????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom