Programming a Transponder Key for 99 TLC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just purchased an uncut transponder key for my 99 Land Cruiser ($21.00 as opposed to ~$50.00 from the dealer). The individual that I bought the key from recommended a reputable key cutter cut the key. When researching how to program the key I came up with the following information:

Add Duplicate Key
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into ignition.
3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and remove key.
5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time.
7. After 80 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off.
8. Remove new key and depress and release brake pedal 1 time.

Does anyone have any experience with programming a transducer key and if so, are these steps legit? Appreciate any insight/experience with this process.
Just used this on a key from remotesremotes.com (Amazon) and it worked. The dealership wouldn’t cut the key so batteries plus did it for $10. 99 TLC

I'm wondering if we (as a group) are absolutely certain that a 'master' key will turn off the little red car icon security thing within a milisecond and the the 'valet' key takes a second or two to turn off?

I bought a 2000 LC and it had a non-OEM key with no buttons. The seller said he had the original button fob in a drawer somewhere as it had fallen apart. He mailed it to me, I bought a battery and shell case from Amazon, put it all together and it works... but the little flashing red car security alert thing still doesn't immediately turn off.

The lady at my local Toyota dealer said that has nothing to do with whether it is a master or not.

I bought and cut a couple more button fobs from Amazon, and got them cut (for free at Fleet Farm), but I'm concerned that I might go through all programming steps right and it still not work because it isn't a master, and I won;t know that, I'll just assume I screwed up a step.... The gal at the dealership said there is no way for me to know... they would have to open it up (again.. I JUST got the thing together!!) and they can tell if it's a master.

So, there has to be a way I can tell... in my driveway... if this is a master and I can move forward with the door lock/unlock dance and program my other fobs.

Can I somehow just start the process... like 'get it into programming mode' and know that I did?

I'm wondering if we (as a group) are absolutely certain that a 'master' key will turn off the little red car icon security thing within a milisecond and the the 'valet' key takes a second or two to turn off?

I bought a 2000 LC and it had a non-OEM key with no buttons. The seller said he had the original button fob in a drawer somewhere as it had fallen apart. He mailed it to me, I bought a battery and shell case from Amazon, put it all together and it works... but the little flashing red car security alert thing still doesn't immediately turn off.

The lady at my local Toyota dealer said that has nothing to do with whether it is a master or not.

I bought and cut a couple more button fobs from Amazon, and got them cut (for free at Fleet Farm), but I'm concerned that I might go through all programming steps right and it still not work because it isn't a master, and I won;t know that, I'll just assume I screwed up a step.... The gal at the dealership said there is no way for me to know... they would have to open it up (again.. I JUST got the thing together!!) and they can tell if it's a master.

So, there has to be a way I can tell... in my driveway... if this is a master and I can move forward with the door lock/unlock dance and program my other fobs.

Can I somehow just start the process... like 'get it into programming mode' and know that I did?

In my opinion the lady at the dealer is wrong and has no idea what she is talking about.

I will say that 100% of the hundreds of these I have dealt with if the light goes out right away it is a master, if not it is a valet.

You can also check the status of the key in the ignition with Techstream.

1998-2003 use the same chip for master and valet, no way to tell by looking at it how it is added to the ecu.

In my opinion the lady at the dealer is wrong and has no idea what she is talking about.

I will say that 100% of the hundreds of these I have dealt with if the light goes out right away it is a master, if not it is a valet.

You can also check the status of the key in the ignition with Techstream.

1998-2003 use the same chip for master and valet, no way to tell by looking at it how it is added to the ecu.
Can it be used to program any functions on a new fob?

You should be able to program the remotes for the door lock.
Well... maybe that's what I'll plan. I'll the valet key in the car, and have some remote door unlock fobs as back ups...

Or pay the $205 the dealer quoted to get 2 masters and one valet, and use one of THOSE masters to make some backups... I had an appointment and cancelled it when the seller found the parts to the original fob... I thought I could do it myself. I'm really struggling with this silly decision...

I need a cupcake...

Well... maybe that's what I'll plan. I'll the valet key in the car, and have some remote door unlock fobs as back ups...

Or pay the $205 the dealer quoted to get 2 masters and one valet, and use one of THOSE masters to make some backups... I had an appointment and cancelled it when the seller found the parts to the original fob... I thought I could do it myself. I'm really struggling with this silly decision...

I need a cupcake...

If all you have is a valet, the only ways to add a master is to flash your ecu, or buy a new one.

If you can remove and replace a small surface mounted eeprom I am happy to send you one for free. It will come with the virgin code written to it.

If all you have is a valet, the only ways to add a master is to flash your ecu, or buy a new one.

If you can remove and replace a small surface mounted eeprom I am happy to send you one for free. It will come with the virgin code written to it.
I.... do not understand what you just said. Sorry.

Can you speak slowly and use small words?

Haha. Check this out.

Send me a message if you have more questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom