Procedure for replacing 100 series(98 and up) starter contacts (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am going to have a shop replace my starter with an oem and address a front water bypass leak with some new gaskets. Is there anything else preventative I should have them do in there while they have the intake off? This procedure is a bit above my pay grade and I have been putting it off for too long.

I am going to have a shop replace my starter with an oem and address a front water bypass leak with some new gaskets. Is there anything else preventative I should have them do in there while they have the intake off? This procedure is a bit above my pay grade and I have been putting it off for too long.
How many miles do you have on it? Any signs of weeping from the valve cover gaskets?
And throw a set of plugs in while you have those off.

Ah, the dominoes start falling.

How many miles do you have on it? Any signs of weeping from the valve cover gaskets?
And throw a set of plugs in while you have those off.

Ah, the dominoes start falling.
the starter is original so about 220k miles. yes maybe a little weeping from valve cover gaskets but i had re torqued a while back and i think it solved that. i've got new plugs and ignition coils. i was thinking about having them replace secondary air pump but will probably just bypass it

For future reference, this connector is not some Toyota only housing. Its manufactured by TE/amp, and can be had almost anywhere, including the ford dealer. Order one early and have it on hand for the starter replacement.

Mouser has it, as does Corsa. Don't pay stupid prices for getting it in a Toyota bag. Toyota took it out of the TE bag, put it in a single serving bag and slapped the sticker on it and a 1000% markup over their cost at least.

Same goes for the starter connector discussed in this thread as well. Just google the part number. Its available in much cheaper form...

For future reference, this connector is not some Toyota only housing. Its manufactured by TE/amp, and can be had almost anywhere, including the ford dealer. Order one early and have it on hand for the starter replacement.

Mouser has it, as does Corsa. Don't pay stupid prices for getting it in a Toyota bag. Toyota took it out of the TE bag, put it in a single serving bag and slapped the sticker on it and a 1000% markup over their cost at least.

Same goes for the starter connector discussed in this thread as well. Just google the part number. Its available in much cheaper form...

These connectors are not anything special... and yeah most people like to get it in the "Special "Red Label" Toyota" bag/box. But a lot of these connectors are generic ones that can be had for a lot less and do the same thing.. Same things for fasteners, clips etc...

The way I look at it is...plan ahead and make sure you have the right parts/connectors/clips before hand and knowing your SUV is 5-20+ years old.. things will break and so you will have the extra parts on hand to get them replaced accordingly.

Also prepare before you replace...should be our calling. :bounce2:

I spend more time cleaning top of engine & gasket surfaces, protecting intake ports form sand/dust falling in and then vacuuming every spec out intake ports before assembly. Then most spend doing the service.

Why! It is a compression killer. I red flag and PPI (pre purchase inspection). When history show any service that requires intake manifold. It is a shame to carelessly, damage the million mile engine.

I can't repeat this enough! Clean, best as you can.

Shortly after I replaced my starter my valve cover gaskets started leaking profusely. I suspect that while wrestling with the starter I leaned on the valve covers too much and broke the seal. They are very lightly torqued to begin with and apparently mine were loose. I would suggest checking the bolts (Torque: 6.0 N·m (60 kgf·cm, 53 in.·lbf) or better yet, replace the valve cover gaskets while you are in there.

Hello. I have rebuild the starter on my 99 about 5 years ago. Now I need to do similar on 04 but there is no rebuild option. I guess the best option is to get reman
28100-50100-84 from Toyota preferably instead of RockAuto. Any suggestions or deals?

Hello. I have rebuild the starter on my 99 about 5 years ago. Now I need to do similar on 04 but there is no rebuild option. I guess the best option is to get reman
28100-50100-84 from Toyota preferably instead of RockAuto. Any suggestions or deals?

What do you mean there is no rebuild option? No more starter kit?

Correct. "Toyota does not sell contacts and plunger for 03+" according to 2001LC and I checked as well.

What do you mean there is no rebuild option? No more starter kit?I have

What do you mean there is no rebuild option? No more starter kit?

I have all the parts to rebuild the starter in my 2000LX, that I never used.

If you're interested in buying the parts, PM me

Correct. "Toyota does not sell contacts and plunger for 03+" according to 2001LC and I checked as well.
Oh I just remembered. The 2001+ have a different starter than the 98-2000 iirc. As the new starter is also connected to the auto self start function of the 2001+ LC/LX's.

So I bet that's why you cannot get the starter kit for it.

Yeah likely you'll need a rebuilt starter or look for Denso ones in their website.

Your in luck, if order by 8/24/23 Toyota sale, 20% off wholesale and free shipping WOW - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/toyota-sale-20-off-wholesale-and-free-shipping-wow.1320195/
You can use a reman Denso. Difference is a Toyota Denso reman has parts that must be replaced. Denso, it's up to rebuilder as to which parts.

Tip: Reset the contacts. If rebuilder didn't get them pressed in, to spec, they'll likely fail.

You can buy the contact/plunger in it's housing. But cost is more than a reman Denso.

Thanks Paul. Interestingly enough the cheapest at this time seems to be from Colorado Springs or Boch :)
I am planning to change manifold gaskets 17171-50020.
What else should one change or get parts?
Having bit of hard time conforming connectors part numbers for 04 LC such as 90980-11400 which I used for 99 LC. If anyone has part numbers for 2004 or compatible years, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Started taking apart last night on 04 with 170k miles. Today plan was to remove the starter. To my surprise it was no painful.
I think the key 14mm long socket.
Got a bonus after removed the starter.
Manifold was removed before since one bolt and one nut was different. If starter was changed, then it is too early to die again especially if it has Toyota label on it.
I am going try bench test it first. If anyone has a pic or quick instructions, I would appreciate. Otherwise I will search. Thanks

IMG_2908.jpeg

IMG_2906.jpeg

IMG_2907.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

IMG_2903.jpeg

Tested - it is not turning.

IMG_2912.jpeg

Completed changing the starter and it still did not start - click no start. After firther research it turned out to be loose positive terminal.
Now the mystery is of started was bad. Bench test show it does not start.
I am planning to take the old one apart. It does not make sense to send it back which will cost $15 to get $30 back.

I just finished replacing the starter on my 99' Lx470 and had a few tips that made it a pretty painless job. I would say that while removing the intake is inconvenient, this job was easier than most other starters located in more traditional locations (mostly due to corrosion and seized bolts or nuts on older vehicles). I didn't time myself, but I would say it took a couple of hours.
Tools: ratchet, long and short extensions, swivel extension, magnet, tape (for holding nuts in place during installation), 10/12/14mm sockets.
1. The two 14mm bolts were pretty easy to reach. I used a swivel adapter and a shorty 14mm socket to reach the bolt on the drivers side.
2. I think what really made this easier for me was getting my body positioned in a way to reach what I needed to reach. I used some thick pieces of foam that allowed me to lay on top of the engine as needed while I worked. I also used a small foot stool.
3. Probably didn't save loads of time, but I left the high pressure fuel line attached and gently laid the intake towards the driver side of the car supported with foam.

socketextension.jpg

14mm bolt.jpg

foam.jpg

I just finished replacing the starter on my 99' Lx470 and had a few tips that made it a pretty painless job. I would say that while removing the intake is inconvenient, this job was easier than most other starters located in more traditional locations (mostly due to corrosion and seized bolts or nuts on older vehicles). I didn't time myself, but I would say it took a couple of hours.
Tools: ratchet, long and short extensions, swivel extension, magnet, tape (for holding nuts in place during installation), 10/12/14mm sockets.
1. The two 14mm bolts were pretty easy to reach. I used a swivel adapter and a shorty 14mm socket to reach the bolt on the drivers side.
2. I think what really made this easier for me was getting my body positioned in a way to reach what I needed to reach. I used some thick pieces of foam that allowed me to lay on top of the engine as needed while I worked. I also used a small foot stool.
3. Probably didn't save loads of time, but I left the high pressure fuel line attached and gently laid the intake towards the driver side of the car supported with foam.

View attachment 3536745

View attachment 3536747

View attachment 3536751
No big deal. But you may see, a bit of smoke for awhile. Due to oil traps spillage into venture tubes, by propping up intake manifold on its side like that.
01 LX470 day 11 intake manifold 028.JPG

01 LX470 day 11 intake manifold 027.JPG

Cleaning gasket sealing surface is a must, and vacuum out lent free shop towels is best practice.
CLN & Vac (1).JPG

Vacuuming, every speck of dust out of ports. Is also best practice!
CLN & Vac (2).JPG

Gaskets white tip up.
Z 01 LX470 day Starter, wire splice & intake installed 3-22-16 028.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom