Problems with Tough Dog Panhard --- What did I do wrong?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok, so if I can sound stupid for a question or 2.... Could it be possible that my front diff is too far forward? and, is there a way for me to move my diff back a little bit?

Im just puzzled, because until I can find the "why" i cant figure out how to fix it. I cant really blame anyone other than myself here because I sourced the parts, and put them in, but I am just not sure why things are so tight up-front and/or where something could be wrong.

Would any sort of misalignment or front end failure cause things to move forward a bit?

The axle end of the panhard mounts to the axle.... So even if the axle moved forward a bit, the panhard would also move forward (of course it would reduce the diff clearance a little due to the chassis end being fixed). Unless the chassis end of the panhard mount is way way in the wrong place (big accident etc - that would show up as a lot of other problems....), I can't see how you can have so little clearance EXCEPT for something being wrong with the TD panhard.

Find another 80 (local/friend/2nd hand lot etc) and compare mount locations and panhard bends OEM to TD to figure out what is going on with your setup.

Of course the BIG question is: Did you have any clearance issues with the OEM panhard?? If the problem only now exists due to the TD installation then draw your own conclusion.... :)

cheers,
george.

Of course the BIG question is: Did you have any clearance issues with the OEM panhard?? If the problem only now exists due to the TD installation then draw your own conclusion.... :)

No problem at all with the stock setup. Problem only existed after taking things apart and installing a 3" OME HD kit with castor kit and this TD panhard.

The thing is, I reached out to both the vendor and the manf and both of them say they have not heard of issues like this. TD did say they would look into it more and contact me back in a few days.

Gonna try to find another 80 in Tulsa to look at, like you recommend.

I'm wondering if this thing was a defect and not bent around the diff as much as it should be.. maybe you can get some measurements on how far that diff bend is from being in line with the rest of the bar and have them compare to others.

Inkpot, I actually sent them a link to this thread and the photo album, they were prompt to reply, and sounded willing to help. They did verify it was the correct LHD part.

Without saying much more, they did say that it is something they havent seen before, bud did say that they fabricate their own parts in Oz and they would have their people look at it on Monday. Perhaps it could be a problem with the bend like bloc suggested.

It sucks not knowing.... ugh!

I'm tempted to buy an ironman or arb panhard bar, but im afraid if I did I might just be in the same situation, only a few hundred poorer. Id like to confirm that the bar is the problem before I scrap it. REALLY wishing I had held onto my stock bar..... we were moving at the time and was told we did not have room for old dirty/rusty parts. HA! lesson learned.

I got a tip that a salvage yard in the area has a fresh 80. Gonna try to go have a look if theyre open tomorrow.

Inkpot, I actually sent them a link to this thread and the photo album, they were prompt to reply, and sounded willing to help. They did verify it was the correct LHD part.

Without saying much more, they did say that it is something they havent seen before, bud did say that they fabricate their own parts in Oz and they would have their people look at it on Monday. Perhaps it could be a problem with the bend like bloc suggested.

It sucks not knowing.... ugh!

I'm tempted to buy an ironman or arb panhard bar, but im afraid if I did I might just be in the same situation, only a few hundred poorer. Id like to confirm that the bar is the problem before I scrap it. REALLY wishing I had held onto my stock bar..... we were moving at the time and was told we did not have room for old dirty/rusty parts. HA! lesson learned.

I got a tip that a salvage yard in the area has a fresh 80. Gonna try to go have a look if theyre open tomorrow.

Given that oz only has RHD vehicles, I'm not sure why you are looking to oz vendors/distributors for something that is non-standard.

Why not Slee or a US based vendor that knows the LHD product a heck of a lot better than an oz company.

Note, I'm an expat from oz... But it does makes sense to purchase products made/engineering locally when they are model/vehicle specific.

Just in case you aren't aware, the oz front panhard is fixed to the US PS side chassis and then connects to the US DS axle - i.e. opposite to our US LHD setup.

cheers,
george.

It might be the photos, but on my rig.... it appears that my panhard is sitting much lower, toward the middle of the pumpkin. Were these taken on a lift? Theres no real in-out adjustment for the panhard, so im guessing its camera angle, but if my panhard were resting up top like that, id have no issue. My panhard is pretty much right across the middle where the pumpkins bulge is the widest.

Nope - the vehicle is sitting on all 4 wheels in my driveway when I took the picture. And yes, yours looks lower and of course also way too close/scraping the front diff.

Note that the axle will move up as the vehicle articulates etc, so you still NEED clearance in front of the diff.

Until proven otherwise I'd suggest the TD panhard is just plain wrong, unless your front end has been in some massive accident that has bent/deformed chassis, arms, axles etc (which seems unlikely...).

cheers,
george.

nope, Aside from some rust on the underside from living in VT for 20 years, and some smelly carpet, the truck has only 130K miles and has never been in an accident and is great.

I went with TD because they had good online reputation, Were a small company, and the price was right (cough) ... I was initially very impressed with the build quality. My thinking is its an Oz (ARB) sus lift anyway.... the ARB panhard was backordered 8 weeks, so I assumed it to be a suitable substitute. (cough) I thought some of the ones being offered stateside were overpriced for what they were (cough) and so now here we are.

On a positive note, it does LOOK nicely made. Hopefully they are on top of it and will make it good. I'm sure if they see this forum, they'll want to guard their reputation.

From what I can see in your pics, it looks to me you have a right hand drive rod. My 80 is right hand drive. You can see in my picture how the diff housing is not a factor. Rod needs no bend to clear the housing.mine was shipped in from Superior.
IMG_0031.JPG

It may be an issue of the bushing sleeve being welded on in the wrong position. If the tube on the axle side were rotated say 30 degrees clockwise it would move the hump away from the diff.

full

I think they forgot the bend for the diff. Look at Grants. He just solved the mystery for you.

From what I can see in your pics, it looks to me you have a right hand drive rod. My 80 is right hand drive. You can see in my picture how the diff housing is not a factor. Rod needs no bend to clear the housing.mine was shipped in from Superior.
View attachment 1132929
Dang, that's show car stuff right there. Beautiful!

Thanks for the pic Grant, and thanks to everyone else for the help. These things get frustrating, and having a place like this to go for help is amazing! Really cool to be able to pick the minds of people from all over the world.

That bend is definitely worth looking into. I will fwd this back to the manf and ask them about it.

Got an affirmative reply back from Tough Dog! I must say, they have been VERY good with communication and follow though so far.
-----

Mr. Knight,

[Our Quality Assurance team has reviewed your photos] The welding jig was found to be a few mm out and when the eyering was welded it was not on the right angle so when the bar is fitted it twists the bar and the bend comes in contact with the diff pumpkin.

Here is what I propose to do.
1: Please send me proof of purchase.
2: Send me a delivery address where I can send the replacement bar.
Once I receive those I will dispatch a bar that has been checked and will fit without contact to any body parts.
I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,
John Agostino
Tough Dog Inc.

-----

I can certainly understand how an eyelet can get welded wrong. I am just very happy that they are standing behind their product. It makes me feel very valued as a customer. I'll set up the new one in and post the results. Thanks everyone... George, Grant, and a special prize to NCFj who hit the nail on the head. I cant wait to be able to drive in a straight line again! Cheers!

At least they are fixing the problem and willing to help. A lot of big companies aren't willing to even bother. Have to give them credit for that.. I've had my share of problems with td components but they always replaced defective components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom