problematic main relay - 95'? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm seriously considering a 95' which I inspected myself yesterday and found this on the web:

..."Common problems on this vehicle are failures of the Oxygen Sensor and the Main Relay due to an undersized Wire Harness. Failure of the Wire Harness will prevent the vehicle from starting.The cost to repair the Oxygen Sensor is estimated at $140.00 for parts and $65.00 for labor.The cost to repair the Main Relay is estimated at $15.00 for parts and $26.00 for labor.The cost to repair the Wire Harness is estimated at $15.00 for parts and $65.00 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax. "

Where is this main relay located? is it a DIY job? reason I ask is because I checked out a local TLC, jumped in it and turned the key- but it wouldn't start; didn't even click. Owner got in, turned the key and it fired right up; I didn't understand what he did to make it start; if it was just a fluke that it didn't start when I got in it or what. I drove it around on the hwy and it rode comfortably like my 96' LX. After my little joy ride, I shut the truck off, and started it myself again and it fired up normally.

Could this possibly be related to the "main relay?"

-b

Both of those issues are on previous model years. '91/'92 for the EFI relay wiring, and '93/'94 for the 02 sensors. I don't know of any issues with the '95 model year.

bdac,

>> Could this possibly be related to the "main relay?" <<

As cruiserman said, the main relay issues were specific to the 91-92 models.

If the '95 you looked at has around 90k miles then the "usual suspects" are the starter contacts for the symptoms as you described. No big deal.

-B-

The 1995 model year started in January 1995. If you have airbags it's a 95 up, if you don't it's a 94 back. The transmission changed at the same time.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom