Builds Pro-Mod #247 Build-Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Only the axles' brackets and the upper link bracket were welded on the bench/ table. The axles have some mig welding on them but a mig has yet to touch the chassis itself. That's all TIG right were you see the brackets. Which is me hanging sideways, upside down, and every other way to fit the torch and filler in. You won't believe the number of pounds of filler rods you'd use.

I made the dies and put the them where I need too. They add a nice touch. There is a couple of different styles for various thicknesses working applications.

Nice Dobies!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, I got the rear winch, limiting strap tabs/bungs, and battery mounted, before stopping to add a new lathe to the shop. This was big.

And as of now I'll be trying to everything organized to where I can get back on customers rigs and the buggy.

More pics after I get a new camera.

I'm using a foot pedal control on a Miller Sychro 200 and welding the standard vertical or overhead.

I'm not quite sure what your asking here?

I'm guessing your talking about controling the foot pedal while out of position. That's tricky. I use knee sometimes, I'll place the foot pedal on a stand or stool when I got to weld higher on the chassis. sometimes span a short section of 2x6 across a couple of tubes to elavate the pedal while using my knee. I may have a hand control torch somewhere just don't remember where or like them that much or want to change the head for a couple short sections, personal preference.

This chassis small enough that I don't have to get out of position that often. When your building a chassis or doing tube work work in sections burning the tube in, and not weld your self in to a corner especially with a TIG. That's also a double edge sword because you better have a good print or plan of attack because once you start burning nodes they're pretty much permenant.

John

nice welds. looks awesome

Thanks.

I'm less than a month out before the first comp. So, it's crunch time.

I got the fuel cell built tonight.

I also notice the engine "plug and go" harness has been billed to my card so the harness should be in route to here. I figured my time line was going to be crunched so I elected to buy the harness instead of messing with wires. Wiring is not on the top of my list funn things to do or in the middle for that matter.

These are the only items that haven't been build in house after hours is as follows:

Ramsey Winches
DTS Rear Shafts/gears/lockers/Bearings
QSC Hiems
PitBull Tires
Hubs/Spindles
Shocks/Springs
Axle Shaft Blanks
Junk Yard Housings
Brake System
Wiring/ Battery/ Hoses
Seats/Harnesss

I may have miss somethings but not much.

Think of it like this the body/skins, tranny shifter, t-case, cells, pedal assemblies, links, brackets, chassis, D60 Knuckles, headers, muffler, radiator, lots of brackets and so on and so forth I've already gotten built or need to be finsh on top of the final prep and test. I got my hands full so the progress as the time approaches will become more evident and soon a full vehicle photo.

John

Have you ever used the pitbull rocker before? could you compare it to the irok? ive heard some pretty good things about the rocker.

Oh, ya. I've broken these, the comp buggy's, in on the CJ last week. I like them. The compound is awsome and love the durablity of the side wall. It hooks better than a blue label. It requires less heat to become super sticky. It's a click above the Irok in compound and sidewall strenght. Yes, I've wheeled with quite a few other tires including non DOTs and Iroks in the last couple of years.

Rockers will become a standard for an extreme wheeling tire. They'll do well against the others this season, I'm confident of it.

Last edited:
awesome... i remember seeing woody with a set at the cheesehead invasion a year ago... he said his 36" rockers did better than his 37" IROKs... i wish there was a bigger size than the 39" though

They are a new company with a great product.

A new companies are always releasing new products and old companies always release new product. That's the way things develop, tire or breakfast cereal it all works the same.

I see any no reason why Pitbull won't release new products, as time goes on. They got new sizes coming listed on their webpage for the MadDog (38.5) and Growler (31) lines. Especaily with the compound and sidewalls that they have one would think that the Rockers would develop also in time.

They're new and onto a great start.
Especially

march%2025%202007%20029%20%28Small%29.jpg
march%2025%202007%20030%20%28Small%29.jpg
march%2025%202007%20035%20%28Small%29.jpg

march%2025%202007%20036%20%28Small%29.jpg

Marko, for that radius at the bottom where the link will attach, did you just dimple that, and then cut off the excess? I just picked up a set of dimple dies and I'm still learning how to use them. Thanks, looks awesome!

Marko, for that radius at the bottom where the link will attach, did you just dimple that, and then cut off the excess? I just picked up a set of dimple dies and I'm still learning how to use them. Thanks, looks awesome!

Yep, just leave about .375-.500 around the hole and press the die trim to fit. The radius for the bracket were done on a roll former.

If anyone's wondering these are the coilover rear upper mounts.

march%2028%202007%20002%20%28Small%29.jpg
march%2028%202007%20001%20%28Small%29.jpg

march%2028%202007%20008%20%28Small%29.jpg
march%2028%202007%20007%20%28Small%29.jpg

The rear third is complete and ready to go powder coated on Mon.

Now.............

On to the front for the Ramsey winch mount, orbital valve, steering, radiator, coolers, shocks, and catch cans.

Next..........

On to the Cockpit for the interior pans, short tube, couple of mounts, and a steering wheel.

Then.........

Skins, cowl, and grill mounts.

Last........

Belly skins, lower link tabs gussets............and fully weld what ever has yet to be welded....................then wire brush and scotch-brite everything......................Send off to powder coating on Monday....................

Then, start final assembly on Tues.

-John

Wire brushing and Scotch-brite duties...I got them skillz!:cool:

I wouldn't mind logging a few hours helping you this weekend...maybe hook up with you sometime Sunday if you will be around the shop? I'll track you down this weekend to see if I can help out in some way. Great pictures...it's looking great. Kel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom