Prinsu Design 100 Series Full Roof Rack System (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ordered, CBI said it’s just over a week out.

Gamiviti towers sold to a fellow muddier. Sooooo glad I didn’t start on my rack build yet.
When you recieve it, post some pictures of the mounting slots up top.

Do you have to remove one end of the crossbar to insert the t-nuts/anchor points?

It looks like it in the pictures on their website of their other models.

I had one on a 4runner I bought
Stick with the Gamiviti
It’s much stronger
The Prinsu is a lego type rack
They don’t even make the crossbars they are made by 80:20 inc
If your running a roof top tent be careful as all that is holding it up are small screws -mine bent then stripped out
Want to run a tent and an awning at the same time you cannot use their awning mounts as the mounts stick up to clear the rail and will hit the tent

I’m sure some will have good luck and yes they look Good but the Gamiviti rack and others
Front Runner, Rhino, Baja etc... are designed and tested

I don’t usually say anything negative about products but IMHO for strength and durability There are better choices
Guess I have some gamiviti towers to sell. Prinsu is the only rack I have ever been willing to spend 1k on.

I actually agree with you, I can see the gamiviti being stronger overall. Mild steel vs aluminum.

There are a few factors beyond just the looks of the rack for me.

Weight, low profile, the 80/20 with channels for fasteners gives me a lot of options. There are a few LEGO racks out there. Gamiviti stuff is nice, obviously they were my first choice for mounts.

Last edited:
Do you have to remove one end of the crossbar to insert the t-nuts/anchor points?

It looks like it in the pictures on their website of their other models.
No, there are openings to insert t-nuts, no removal needed. It is a really user friendly design.

I took the plunge and bought/installed the rack and load panels. I got free shipping, which helped keep costs down. Sealed it with butyl tape and urethane gasket maker. Install took me less than 2 hours (removal, installation).

At first i was a unimpressed by how flimsy the side rails were. Once the 80/20 bars are on, it was rock solid. It is slightly noisier than the stock rack, especially on the front corners.

Landcruiser100Prinsu.jpg

Well, got it finally, two weeks ago. I like it, but the fitment on the vehicle was a little tricky.

I guess I’ll make this a mini review.

First off, its packaging left something to be desired. The box was partly opened and had a bit of tape wrapped around the end, not enough to seal it, you could reach a hand in there.

No directions. Not really an issue though, it was pretty straight forward, I just looked at the directions for other models anyway and It went together as I thought.

Finish of the rack, pretty good. There are parts if it that look as though they should have been hit with a grinder or sanding sponge before being coated. I would say these definitely went straight from cutting to coating.

Hardware is good. I liked seeing regular bolts instead of hex cap. They may not look as clean, but it’s harder to strip them as opposed to hex cap. They are hidden anyway.

Finally, overall fitment. Initially I wasn’t loving it. I put the rails on the car first, just to make sure they were right, and the rail was all crooked. Makes sense being a flat piece of aluminum, since it has some flex, but it made me wary of attaching all the crossbars with it on the vehicle like other instructions indicated. I didn’t want to struggle lining the cross bars up while standing on a ladder. Also, was worried they may not pull the rails straight, or that I might strip the threads in the 80/20.

When putting it on the truck assembled, it was a beeiotch. Took me a while to even get the rear bolts to start. I had everything else loosened but just couldn’t quite get it. Finally got them, and the rack was a hair crooked and didn’t look like the mounts were sitting flush on the spacers. Left it and came back a couple days later, loosened everything, nudged it square with a rubber mallet and snugged everything again, and it’s perfect now.

This is my third rack install. First was ARB load bars on my 4runner, which I built a simple square frame rack for. ARB can go to hell for their blue locktite they put on their bolts that made it impossible to screw in. Broke one off and lost my freaking mind.

Second were the Gamiviti towers. Super easy install, plenty of access and sat flush with the OEM rubber gaskets. Very easy to adjust with the top piece of the towers.

Overall, I was a little disappointed at first, but since loosening all bolts and using a rubber mallet to square everything up, I’m pretty happy with it.

I think it looks great, plenty of mounting option so I don’t have to weld onto a rack to add stuff. Sunroof still opens and tilts. I think the supplied spacers could be an 1/8th inch or more shorter to keep an even lower profile, but I’m not taking it off the cut them down or anything.

Feel very solid. I had doubts at first, but I’m loving it. I don’t know if I have the confidence to walk on it, like I did with my home built 1/2 inch square tubing rack, but it looks great and I’m ready to start mounting accessories.

Pics to follow. Don’t have the truck with me right now.

But I have purchased an Harbor freight Apache long case that I’m going to fab some mounting points to do it can be removed easily. Depending on how it works, will probably buy a second case.

My side rails were a bit crooked until I threw on the 80/20 (partially because it was floppy). I left the side rails a little loose while I bolted up the 80/20, then shifted it till I got it where I wanted and tightened the feet. The install was easy for one person to do, which I appreciate.

As for shorter feet - I agree. The spacers could be a tad bit shorter to lower the profile.

Definitely interested in pictures. I was close to ordering the Gamiviti this weekend, and then once again started going in circles with all the options. I like the look of the Prinsu (and Gamiviti). Looks like Prinsu would be about $500 less expensive with shipping. I like the aluminum/rust benefit on Prinsu. Primary use will be a big RTT so could be carrying a fair amount of weight. I'm not an engineer, but it looks like the Gamiviti brackets and rack would put the weight more directly into the roof vs the Prinsu brackets carrying alot of the weight-- if that makes sense. Is that logic legitimate?

@Brentok the side rails on the Prinsu are one single long piece, that hangs slightly to the outter edge of your roof.

The weak spot for the prinsu would be bolts that mount the 80/20 to the side rails. I attached some photos showing how it bends off the side rails and mount. The other modular racks I have seen use L brackets that bolt to the side rail then to the car. The Prinsu rack eliminates that. Note that I am running the Prinsu load panels, take up two of the long slots. Also note the finishing. I do wish they hit it with a grinder before coating (although that would have increased costs).

Pinsu1.jpg

Prinsu2.jpg

Prinsu3.jpg

Thanks @Lugee that helps. I was looking at the install guide on Prinsu for an FJ and it showed a bolt on bracket for the rear mount so I just assumed they all did. It seems that as long as the bolts are kept tight into the 8020 crossbar it would be fine on strength for most uses. I can see how if things started getting loose that wouldn't be good.

So other than the finish could have been better, are you happy with it?

I have a Prinsu Rack on a 4Runner. I think it held up completely fine to having a CVT Mt Rainier mounted on and off multiple times. I really loved the modularity of being able to easily add additional 80/20 bars - I had a set that I left on the tent and then just dropped it into place.

I really liked it, but at this point I will be giving my money to Tim at Gamiviti when/if ever I decide to add a rack to my 100. He's been a pretty cool supporter of the 100 series community so I'd like to do my small part to pay him back whenever the time comes.

@Brentok Right now I am satisfied, but time will tell. I love the look and the clean lines. I just got back from a five day trip and it performed well. My shortlist before the Prinsu was Dissent and Gamiviti. It's been a while since I did the math, but the only reason I went with Prinsu was price - it was powder coated, and shipping was free (at the time i ordered it), which helped keep the costs lower.

Issues I have noticed thus far:
- Because of the finishing issues, grabbing it to pull yourself up to access the top can be cumbersome. There are solutions to building grab handles.
- The finish on my rack was somewhat marred due to shipping. They shipped it with paper between the pieces and I have a mark on my front fairing that I can't clean off.
- I have noticed that I need all the 80/20 bars that were shipped with my rack to make it rigid. I think the load panels helped with the strength. I don't know if this is an issue with the other modular designs.
- The awning brackets are not as low profile as the others out there, but seem very robust. Right now I am using the Yakima brackets, which allow me to remove my awning quickly.

Pros:
- Modular - configuration has been limitless. I think I spent 3 days trying different set ups before I settled on my current set up.
- Available accessories - Off the bat I was able to order matching brackets, load panels, etc. The Tacoma and 4runner has had these racks and i think most of the accessories and mods can carry over.
- Ease of installation and light. I did the install myself and was able to get it put together pretty quickly. The adjustments took a bit of time but it was pretty straight forward.

Wanted to share this as I had been looking for the right retailer to buy extra bars and hardware at a reasonable price. Very affordable here and exactly what you need! It’s the 10 series extrusions.

Anyone have this on an LX470? Interestingly when I contacted them, they say they have not fit to an LX and can't guarantee the fit. Since every other aftermarket rack is sold as 100/LX470, I can't imagine it doesn't fit.

Anyone have this on an LX470? Interestingly when I contacted them, they say they have not fit to an LX and can't guarantee the fit. Since every other aftermarket rack is sold as 100/LX470, I can't imagine it doesn't fit.

I do, you'll need to make some modifications, the LC have 3 mounting points per side and LX has 2, so you'll need to remove the gutter guard piece to expose the 3rd mounting part near the front. I drilled a few holes in the gutter piece and kept it on there instead of removing it, a lot of work but aesthetically pleasing.

48910827883_be5e6ef3ec_h.jpg

I do, you'll need to make some modifications, the LC have 3 mounting points per side and LX has 2, so you'll need to remove the gutter guard piece to expose the 3rd mounting part near the front. I drilled a few holes in the gutter piece and kept it on there instead of removing it, a lot of work but aesthetically pleasing.

48910827883_be5e6ef3ec_h.jpg

My god, that's beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom