Price Check-1997 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
Hey Guys,

Thinking about the next family hauler and I found a nice LX450 in the area.

Lockers
OME suspension
XM radio

Other than that it is stock and in average to good condition.

I got the lockers to lock in and then the front would not unlock. I dicked with it cycling it back and forth and it finally went off.

Tried to recycle and neither would lock. Common? How hard to fix that?

Anyway, what is the price range on these things. Ebay search tells me nothing and a LX470 search says don't give too much.

Those of you that know me know that this is not a real wheeler, maybe a Moab trip and a day during the roundup at katemcy so other than straight price, unless I can get this truck for a sweet price I am stepping up to a 100 series.

Lemme know what you boys think.......

Nolan,
Typical on that would be from $12K to $16K depending on condition. I paid $13.5K for mine. Its a 97 with lockers and had 98K miles. Gary Cobberly and Jim Reiss were helpful in looking at rigs for me. You might check with them as well. Lockers are nice to have. It made going up the waterfall at Kane Creek an breeze. while a forerrunner had to be winched up.

If your looking, I'd wait for one with lockers. It doesn't seem to make a difference on price in the resale market.

Saw this one on eBay: It has more miles.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6443&item=4550696469&rd=1

Ken

I think Junk and Romer about right with the price estimate. It varies from region to region, but I'd say anywhere between $12k and $14k is about right for an 80 (whether it's a LX or LC).

As for the lockers, if they haven't been used -- and it's typically the case with mall crusiers, this is fairly normal and should clear up with a bit of "exercise" -- they seem to lock up much faster when they're engaged on a regular basis.

wngrog said:
I said 12K and I think he thought I was kidding.

That is what I thought.....

Well, 80 owners are just like everyone else. They think they'll get their money out of it when they sell it.

There is no reason to pay more than 12k - especially with the rash of folks dumper gas guzzling bigger trucks like the 80.

Prices vary according to geography, but sounds like the seller was smoking crack with his wheaties.

wngrog said:
Tried to recycle and neither would lock. Common? How hard to fix that?

The lockers engage/disengate with a combo of an electric motor and a spring. They won't disengage immediately if under stress. They won't engage immediately in high traction situations and until the cogs aligns in the locking mechanism. The rears have bigger cogs and can take a little more time to align. Always test in low traction; gravel, dirt, sand, etc.

There is a detailed post somewhere in the 80 section that lists the differences between the LC and the LX if you are interested. There are quite a few items; none are deal breakers.

That '97 LX could be a $9k or a $14k truck. Pricing should be a range and the range varies on area, condition, and maintenance documentation.

-B-

12K sounds right and simple service should bring the lockers right around.

Alot of owners think there truck is worth more than the market .....

Hell just look at me....

I asked this same question about 3 months ago, and the best advice I got was that price definetly varies depending on where you are, and that the truck is worth whatever you are willing to pay. I bought a 97 LX450 w/ lockers, about 80k miles, and very well taken care of for $16,500. Some may say I paid too much, but in the end the truck was beautiful, exactly what we wanted, and within our budget.

andy

I think some of the prices given here reflect what a "good price" would be and not what is commonly asked for.

In my area that vehicle would fetch 13,500-14,000 and wouldn't last long (if not rusty and in good shape).

Definitely, it depends on region. Pristine one's around here are still selling for $18-19K.

Im in NY and i just bought a 1997 TLC for $17,500, No locks but 38k on the clock and in absolute mint condition. The guy was asking 18K and he could have got more but he fell to my bid, thats what happens when you have cash in hand.

In the Pacific Northwest 80's and LX450's are going for astronomical prices. A 96' or 97' could be anywhere from $19k to $16k, especially in the winter months. I found a 77k 80 in Moonglow color, grey interior in Oregon (1 owner) and paid $17.5k.

In other words check your local listings and get an idea of what the trend is in your area and go from there.

Good Luck,

Russell

wngrog said:
Thinking about the next family hauler and I found a nice LX450 in the area.Anyway, what is the price range on these things. Ebay search tells me nothing and a LX470 search says don't give too much.

$12k IMO, maybe $12.5 max. Once it hits 100k miles it will drop again, so I'd stay closer to $12k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom