Price Check: '08 GX470 Non-Nav 72k miles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks @MaverickFiveO.

I’m definitely planning on getting the copy of the 161pt inspection. From the history, all scheduled maintenance has been done up to the 70k mile mark. The vehicle looks in overall great shape. Also, they didn’t accept to change the timing belt/water pump but I plan to do that at Toyota. How did you discover a broken gear tooth so quickly?

My major annoyance is nobody at Lexus (dealer and corporate) can give me specifics on the 161pt inspection with respect to handling an item that didn’t pass to inform myself of my “rights” as a consumer. Example, if this vehicle met the basic eligibility of L/Certified by being 6 years or newer and less than 70k miles IIRC, their 161pt inspection states that tires need to be at 5/32” or better and brake pads 6mm or more.

Does this apply to other Lexus vehicles as well going through inspection but not for certification? That’s the question I cannot get an answer on. Therefore, I would have to fly out to see vehicle after reserving it.

My experience with Mercedes has been very positive and spoiled in nature so just trying to get expectations in line.

I paid $18,500 for a 104k mile 2009 with Nav. Absolutely everything works, rust-free, up to date on timing belt, water pump, all fluids, new radiator and new brakes in the past 15k. BUT, I had a decent argument with the Lexus dealership when I discovered the rear diff was missing a tooth on the ring after driving it for 200 miles. After a lot of arguing with various managers there, the end result was me retroactively purchasing a warranty from them (which I would not have normally done), but the warranty nearly covered the cost of a new differential to break even, and I had up to 33"s and a 2" inch lift written into the scope of the warranty. So I ended up at about $21k out the door, but I have an unlimited powertrain warranty that allows mods, so...

Now that I finish writing that, I'm not sure it's really a helpful comparison. The lesson is to make sure you get a copy of their "Lexus 161 point inspection" and get an independent inspection and settle any discrepancies. I was told by their service manager "you can't expect us to find everything with just an inspection." Don't trust the dealership further than you can throw them...

My major annoyance is nobody at Lexus (dealer and corporate) can give me specifics on the 161pt inspection with respect to handling an item that didn’t pass to inform myself of my “rights” as a consumer.

This was my frustration with the dealership, as well. The report I read was only that a specific component "passed" the inspection. The salesperson was happy to tell me what "passed" meant, but it turns out he was making it up. The service manager (same person I quoted earlier) said "You have to understand. Salespeople will say whatever they have to to get a sale." This is why I say get an independent inspection, since the dealership may not have standards or be willing to commit to a standard for their inspection. You are correct that without specifics, the Lexus 161pt inspection effectively is meaningless, unfortunately.

How did you discover a broken gear tooth so quickly?

Over 50 mph, it made a pulsing sound coming from the rear. I chalked it up to the older AT tires on the truck during the test drive, and got new tires put on right after purchasing. The sound was still there, so I chased it through the rear end of the drivetrain. The rear tires made a chirping noise intermittently driving around corners, so I opened up the rear diff and the fluid looked like it had confetti in it. When I opened up the case, it was broken.

IMG_6598.JPG
IMG_6599.JPG

Wow. Hopefully I won’t run into something crazy when I fly down. I have been looking at independent shops but hard to find one in Miami close to dealer.

Wow. Hopefully I won’t run into something crazy when I fly down. I have been looking at independent shops but hard to find one in Miami close to dealer.

In my opinion, I would take the 161pt inspection with a grain of salt. Ours was a 1 owner, very clean, almost perfect GX. I wasn't so hung up on the Dealers 161 pt inspection. Mostly because we were going to go through it anyway. I will say, it is my opinion, not much was completed in their inspection and service. The act like they really go through the cars. I would be very surprised if that was the case. If I was to buy another GX from the Lexus dealer, I would bring our mechanic with me.

8" life. People still doubt me when I say when not if.

8" life. People still doubt me when I say when not if.

Two things about this:
1) the service manager didn’t believe me at first because as he said, “I’ve only seen three rear diffs go in 20 years.” To which I replied that I’ve seen three 8” rears go in my family (a LC, a Tacoma, and now this)

2) my wife grew up on a 80-series. When I recounted this story to my father-in-law, he mentioned that had a part’s truck to keep their 80-series going, which he originally bought because the rear diff went. The same rear diff the GX470 still uses. So yeah: not if, but when.

The tower design allows the preload to work loose. It just happens. You can redo the preload on an interval (I would assume 50-70k) but if you build a truck like the GX with an 8", it is a bit small. Add in preload fading over time. It's going to let go eventually. Solid spacers, an ARB carrier, etc help, but it still happens. DD? Eventually. Wheel? soon. Wheel harder? sooner.

So I flew out here to look at the car. Overall it looks nice, stupid paint stripes are painted on the car...

Only major concern is that the radiator seems to have slight wetness/previous leak on the drivers side. Either at some point in time it leaked causing slight corrosion on the bottom radiator support or salt water over time may have caused it...

Now I don't know if I should proceed...

Ask if they are willing to repair the radiator, water pump, and timing belt for free if you get the extended warranty.

At this point, the repairs and maintenance seem normal. It's a matter of money. If you add up all the repairs and purchase price, you might be at $22K. Is that the price that you are willing to pay?

They were not willing to do the timing belt and pump. They did however replace the radiator and saved a $1100 expense. I am now a happy owner of a GX470.

Loving it so far. Thanks all for the guidance. Now onto modding...

Ask if they are willing to repair the radiator, water pump, and timing belt for free if you get the extended warranty.

At this point, the repairs and maintenance seem normal. It's a matter of money. If you add up all the repairs and purchase price, you might be at $22K. Is that the price that you are willing to pay?

Congratulations. The mods is where it might get more expensive! LOL

Congratulations and welcome!

Congrats on the new ride! Price has me back thinking 470, or a 100. I still don't quite know!

If prices keep going up on the gx470, a 100 series may be back in the fray for some people. I thought cost and lower miles on the gx470 were advantages over the 100 series.

Congrats!! I just bought one myself..
2006 with 95K miles everything works and no rust... Only thing I do not like is the Nav unit but at $10,000, I can get past that inconvenience.

Thanks all.

I guess my version of a mild build may be more involved.

• improve sound system
  • better steering wheel
  • 2” lift or so
  • wheel/tire upgrade
  • winch
Congrats!! I just bought one myself..
2006 with 95K miles everything works and no rust... Only thing I do not like is the Nav unit but at $10,000, I can get past that inconvenience.

10k man. That’s a deal.

Mine just has slight corrosion to the Lower frame bar under the radiator and one dent on corner of hood by headlight that I’m comtemplating having PDR then hood re-sprayed due to dent cracking paint.

Hopefully they can just paint that area and feather it out for blending. I’d like the savings for mods ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom