Pressure Cookers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We got a Fagor pressure cooker for Christmas and today seems like a great day to fire it up for the first time. Anyone have any suggestions for meals that come out exceptionally good when you use a pressure cooker? Never used one before so I am not really sure what to expect.

I've got a new one also. I will be watching, as I don't know how to use it either. Do they blow up?

I picked up a microwave version a while back. Haven't played with it yet. From what I've read, they'll make most any slow cooker recipe in about 10% of the time.

The hard part for me is that I usually cook by taste. Can't really do that with a pressure cooker. I'll have to learn to follow recipes.

I picked up a microwave version a while back. Haven't played with it yet. From what I've read, they'll make most any slow cooker recipe in about 10% of the time.

The hard part for me is that I usually cook by taste. Can't really do that with a pressure cooker. I'll have to learn to follow recipes.

I did some searching around the web and found a collection of recipes that look pretty good, hopefully the link works:

pressure cooker | Williams-Sonoma

I am going to give one a try tonight as yesterday we ran out of time.

I failed at taking a pre cooked shot but 50 minutes to go and I will post a pic of the finished product. Hopefully it is 3lbs of amazingness, might be a huge bust too.

20160117_173126.jpg

Nothing in the same league for making meat/foul stocks. Gets all the goodness out of the bones++ and quickly!

Nice. How many pounds, what was your cooking time?

We have been cooking a couple of meals a week in our stove top pressure cooker lately. Last week I did some country style pork ribs. Just threw the in with enough water to partially cover then cooked for 20 min after it came to pressure. I let it cool enough to open then drained, shredded the pork and added BBQ sauce. Made some pretty good samwiches.

Beef stew; cubed chuck, taters, carrots, celery, a can of diced tomatoes, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Dredge the meat in flour (S&P) and brown in a little oil. Do this right in the pot. Throw everything else in plus enough stock to cover, loosen the brown bits off the botom. Cook for 20 minutes. The trick to stews is the size of the ingredients, make them proportional to cooking times ie: make tater chunks bigger than carrot chunks.

Nice. How many pounds, what was your cooking time?

It was a 3 lb boneless shoulder cut and wrapped up with herbs and prosciutto. I added 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 cup of white wine as well and cooked it for 55 minutes. It was very tasty but I need to work on the cooking times, parts of it were tender and other parts were a little tough. It tempted out good, but I probably cooked it a little too long I think. The wife is working on some chicken right now in the pot.

It was a 3 lb boneless shoulder cut and wrapped up with herbs and prosciutto. I added 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 cup of white wine as well and cooked it for 55 minutes. It was very tasty but I need to work on the cooking times, parts of it were tender and other parts were a little tough. It tempted out good, but I probably cooked it a little too long I think. The wife is working on some chicken right now in the pot.

The microwave version says ten minutes per pound. I'm not sure I buy that but it stays under pressure for a while, so it'll keep cooking. I would think if you cooked it too long it would be more tender rather than less.

How did you let it finish? I've found if you let it loose pressure naturally the cooking evens out as opposed to releasing pressure or running cool water over the cooker.

Well I did kind of a half and half as I wasn't sure exactly how this machine worked. I let it sit for a few, then purged a small amount out of the valve, and then let it sit some more. Next time I will just let it sit. Last night the chicken was not cooked enough so we put it back in and for another 5 minutes but then it was overdone. The cooking chart that came with this thing is pretty vague as it doesn't specify any weights of the food. One other thing that I noticed is that all of the recipes I am finding have cooking time differences depending on if it is an electric, stovetop, or microwave cooker. Off to Amazon to find some cook books.

Looks tasty! Going to try something new this weekend, not sure what yet.

Sure other's have different experience but the best and only way I'm happy with all things bean cooking is slow and low in a ceramic crock pot.

Sure other's have different experience but the best and only way I'm happy with all things bean cooking is slow and low in a ceramic crock pot.
Same here, the pressure cooker will cook beans fast but something is lost in the process.
Indulge me in a semi random memory.
My Dad told me of a summer spent as a cook in a logging camp on Grand Mesa in Colorado. The only way he could cook beans at that altitude was in a pressure cooker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom