Pressure Cookers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I heard pressure cookers are a great way to cook beans. Any truth to that? Dammit! Now I want a big plate of Cuban black beans and fried plantains.

One of the recipes for mine suggests that you can cook dried beans in 30-40 minutes without soaking. Beans are cheap, it's on my list of things to try.

I think the only thing I use a pressure cooker for is ham and beans...and I'm only allowed to have them while by myself at the cabin.

Yes, beans do not cook at the elevation I'm at very well unless under pressure. It only takes one hour in a pressure cooker or close to 10 in a regular bean pot.

One of the recipes for mine suggests that you can cook dried beans in 30-40 minutes without soaking. Beans are cheap, it's on my list of things to try.

I think the only thing I use a pressure cooker for is ham and beans...and I'm only allowed to have them while by myself at the cabin.

Yes, beans do not cook at the elevation I'm at very well unless under pressure. It only takes one hour in a pressure cooker or close to 10 in a regular bean pot.

According to the interwebs soaking will reduce the complex sugar that causes gas, most of it is supposedly removed with the soak water.
What I have noticed is that since I increased to amount of naturally fermented foods I eat (Kraut, kimchee, kifer etc.) I don't get gassy from beans.

Dear Rusty,
I'm so sorry to hear about your affliction.
FLATU8ER

Please tell all your friends and family to , "Just Say NO" , when it concerns BEANO.
This chemical has ruined thousands, Nay Millions, of laughs, giggles, snickers, and quick exits from public places.
Please tell two friends, and they can tell two friends, and so forth. They can Pass it on.
We can come out with special ribbon, that you can where with honor: Just Pull My Finger Instead to keep a Happier World.

20160122_165322.jpg

According to the interwebs soaking will reduce the complex sugar that causes gas, most of it is supposedly removed with the soak water.
What I have noticed is that since I increased to amount of naturally fermented foods I eat (Kraut, kimchee, kifer etc.) I don't get gassy from beans.

The recipe I read says cook for 15, drain, rinse, cook for another 15. The first part is likely an accelerated soak. If that doesn't work, an overnight soak will be necessary.

If you feed everyone beans, no one can accuse you of being the farter.

Beans beans the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot. The more you toot the better you feel, beans beans for every meal. This is an old Pensylvania rhyme. Don't know where it originated.

Dam this thread took a quick dive.

On a side note, I can't wait until my Grand daughter is old enough to perform the arm pit fart. I'm sure she will find it hilarious, and it will be partial payback to my son when she does it at preschool.

And people wonder about my on line name.
Rusty, the payback that you are expecting will be sweet, waiting is frustrating, but just think of the payoff.
Keep coaching, this is what Grandpas are for - my young jedi

She is a pistol, there will be parent teacher conferences in her future I can see that right now.

Blazing Saddles, epic movie!

Have not messed with the cooker lately but will again soon. Ham and beens sounds good.

Cooked some country style pork ribs tonight. Just a little water salt and pepper. Added a layer of pesto just before serving. Not bad. I love the convenience of throwing the meat in the pressure cooker and not worrying that it will get overcooked and dry. Well it may get overcooked but never dry.

We have been pressure cooking meals for probably thirty years. Sunday pot roast in an hour. Fantastic pork chops in sauerkraut and apples. Started with our 22 quart canning cooker and graduated to a 6 qt. Now we have an 8 qt we can actually pressure fry chicken in, like tavern style broasted stuff. We can speed release it to add ingredients, it's pretty cool. We really love it. Usually use beer for liquid, or beef stock for pot roasts. For roasts I like to brown them really well and then put a layer of onions under it to help keep it from burning. Just don't drown it or let it run dry. My friend that I turned on to pressure cooking swears it's the best way to cook artichokes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom