Preparing for a major 4x4 trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm pretty excited I got my 80 back in October and have wheeled it pretty hard with a few over nighters in the mix. I am always reading about all these adventures you guys are taking and wishing I didn't work six days a week.... This weekend we are going on a 3 day trip starting in the Mountains of Mazatlan Mexico and crossing into the Mountains of Durango Mexico. The trail sounds like it will be challenging--it is going to take us 3 full days---most of my buddies run heep rubicons. I have got my truck pretty well set up for adventures like this: 315's, 4.88's, extended diff breathers, ARB, sliders, snorkel(lots of water crossings), extended ss brake lines, lots of light, etc. I have done all the standard pm rebuilding birfs, wheel bearings, bought a new radiator from Dan along with all the other componets of the cooling system, changed the belts, wires, plugs, fuel filter and air filter. Tomorrow I will be changing the front and rear diff oil for the 3rd time---along with the motor oil also may change out 5 quarts of the ATF. I carry a ton of spares on the trail such as belts, oil filter, all the hose sizes, hose clamps, BFH, tools, straps, hi-lift. My cruiser has 142,000 miles---got at 130k was a mall cruiser with full records. Any other suggestions of things I should do before leaving and/or stuff I should take on the trail?

Last edited:
headlamp and hida key. Oh yes food and beer or better yet Tobala.

Fly Rod said:
headlamp and hida key. Oh yes food and beer or better yet Tobala.

Gracias amigo--got the head lamp, no need for hida key--sleep in my truck and never bother locking anything(we are far away from civilization), also take out my husky mat in back and use tie downs to hold everything. I have one of those neat norstar coleman lanterns--looking forward to all of this--I used to live closer to you in Washington---spent every weekend camping in the cascades--one of my favorite spots is above salmon la sac--there is a lake about 10 miles above off a gravel road--snow clears by July..... It sounds like tequila lake--but it has a different spelling--is outside of the town of Cle Elum. Another cool spot to check out is the East side of highway 2 a little ways past stevens pass--some awesome camping spots--lots of rivers spots.... By the way have lots of sandwiches (tortas) and muco tecate y modelo--here we drink them with chile--micholada :)

SR.GRINGO said:
Any other suggestions of things I should do before leaving and/or stuff I should take on the trail?

Duct tape, RTV,grease, rags, and blue paper towels.

BTW, a fine splined birfield from a 40/mini will work in your 80. Your ABS won't work because of the lack of the reluctor ring but it will get you home.

Sounds like a good trip. Enjoy! :beer:

Capt. Jim said:
Duct tape, RTV,grease, rags, and blue paper towels.

BTW, a fine splined birfield from a 40/mini will work in your 80. Your ABS won't work because of the lack of the reluctor ring but it will get you home.

Sounds like a good trip. Enjoy! :beer:

Thanks Jim,

More stuff for the list--I need to purchase a spare birf--toyota was established in Mexico about 2 years ago so finding old parts doesn't happen. When the lift was installed my abs quit working--still have not figured out the reason.....

Beno--I'm not playing for the other team amigo :flipoff2:

I haven't got the oba set up yet but some of the other guys run outbacks and I do have a plug/patch kit.

Driving rough roads means things are gonna take a pounding/vibrating fest. Double check the battery tie downs, all fluid container tie downs underhood, maybe check that major engine harness bundle that comes out above the valve cover to the black plastic thing on the engine bay - its been blamed for some fuel injector issues from wear/vibration causing shorts in the bundle.

Spare bulb or two. One of the most priceless items on dusty trips for me is a jumbo box of baby wipes. A tarp to bungee across the grill for deep water crossings (and shade if you're wrenching), spray a dry lube like graphite onto your door to body seals so you won't hear the squeaky, squeaky all the time. Learn to use the built in alarm clock in your dash (fun to have the 80 wake you). If you don't need the passenger space, take out the center row as well and it totally transforms the truck into a two person expedition layout. You can easily access gear from the side doors without the folded seat in the way, for instance. And sleeping is VASTLY improved.

I toss a half used bottle of Windex and a lint free rag in since squeaky clean windows add so much to the enjoyment of such a trip. This after carefully cleaning all the windows inside and out. I clean them each morning to start the day fresh - a little thing but significant.

DougM

SR.GRINGO said:
Gracias amigo--got the head lamp, no need for hida key--sleep in my truck and never bother locking anything(we are far away from civilization),

The key is not as much for theft as having a spare key in the truck. Never know when you are going loose it and then you are stuck.

IdahoDoug said:
Learn to use the built in alarm clock in your dash (fun to have the 80 wake you).

Sorry for the thread hijack - but where is the alarm clock in the 80?

lots of film and/or digital camera because if you don't post pics where are going to hunt you down :D

You'll need the original and three (3) copies of the following for your Temporal Importacion de Vehiculos (Temporary Vehicle Import Permit):

1. Title to the vehicle.
2. Registration;
3. Tourist permit (you can get this at immigration at the border $20 each person);
4. Driver's License;
5. Passport;

All the paperwork is done a the Banjercito Office at the Border. Only major border crossings are open on the weekends. Supposedly you can do most of the paperwork on the internet, but when I did this the Banjercito clerk looked at the preregistration printout like it was a math problem, and I had to go through the whole thing again... :rolleyes:

The fee is about $30.00 US, and the Bond is about $300-$400 for a car your year. The easiest way is to have a credit card for all this...You'll cancel the Import permit when you leave Mexico.

I took a ton of spares, and have been lucky not to have to use any of them...

-H-

BTW, have fun, Mexico is awesome, and the people are great!

Ummmm - H - he's in Mexico already dude. hehehe

Hltoppr said:
You'll need the original and three (3) copies of the following for your Temporal Importacion de Vehiculos (Temporary Vehicle Import Permit):

1. Title to the vehicle.
2. Registration;
3. Tourist permit (you can get this at immigration at the border $20 each person);
4. Driver's License;
5. Passport;

All the paperwork is done a the Banjercito Office at the Border. Only major border crossings are open on the weekends. Supposedly you can do most of the paperwork on the internet, but when I did this the Banjercito clerk looked at the preregistration printout like it was a math problem, and I had to go through the whole thing again... :rolleyes:

The fee is about $30.00 US, and the Bond is about $300-$400 for a car your year. The easiest way is to have a credit card for all this...You'll cancel the Import permit when you leave Mexico.

I took a ton of spares, and have been lucky not to have to use any of them...

-H-

BTW, have fun, Mexico is awesome, and the people are great!

I don't think he needs to worry about the border, he lives there!

Yo Sr.:
can't believe all you did on your truck already. Puts me to shame...
don't you have to work or something?
Sounds like a fun trip.
Been a while since I've been in Mazatlan. Mostly Baja for me recently and didn't do the ferry bit in a while. But hope to do it soon.
Have a great time!
Eric

Thanks Doug—you always have great ideas

Battery—I do need to fix the tie downs
Fuel filter—noticed nothing is holding it in place……
Have spare bulbs
Will get baby wipes and windex—clean windows are a nice touch
Good idea on the tarp
Will check wire harness
The dry lube I will have to purchase next time I’m in the states—can’t find it here
Both rows of seats are already out—I am 6’4”
Bought tie down straps after reading about your brother-in-laws toolbox
Looking forward to having the cruiser wake me up :)

Fly rod/ Christo

Point is well taken—I stashed a spare key

Junk—the camera is a must have—usually somebody does something worth a few pics—some of the guys are pretty macho and have to one up everybody else…..

Hltoppr—one good word of advice is always make sure they give you an exit paper for your truck—otherwise if you try to enter with a different vehicle they won’t let you pass—found out the hard way…..

Eric,

Thanks—I work six days a week usually for 12+ hours a day except Saturdays—but today I’m at work wrenching on the cruiser :D —except now it is crazy hot :cool: ---thinking about opening the drain plug on the block when it cools off tonight… A cold cerveza sounds good right now--too bad I'm at work :doh:

SR.GRINGO said:
snip

Eric,

Thanks—I work six days a week usually for 12+ hours a day except Saturdays—but today I’m at work wrenching on the cruiser :D —except now it is crazy hot :cool: ---thinking about opening the drain plug on the block when it cools off tonight… A cold cerveza sounds good right now--too bad I'm at work :doh:

hmmm..... Pacifico instead of coolant in the block so if you are lost someplace you can still have a good brew?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom