Premium unleaded only? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ809496TLC

80 series addict
Threads
Is it true that you can only use premium unleaded in the FJ? :confused:

Why is that? Compression numbers?

Just look at the pics from the greenville event.

normal_FJC-2005GreenvilleSC-133.jpg

Hopefully that picture is from a preproduction model or one equiped with an SC. The 4Runner with the 4.0L V6 uses regular. AFAIK, the FJ will use the same engine. Toyota would surely lose sales if the FJ required premium.

inquiring minds want to know....

No way the production vehicles will require premium. It would be a major downer :eek:

Edmunds article says Premium is reccommended.

It will run on anything u put in it; prem is best, but reg will work; according to the tests; just like an FZJ80.

Terrax said:
What is the current 4runner use? It should be the same motor.
I got this info from my 05 4runner owners manual. Select octane rating 87 (research octane number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 (research octane number 96) or higher is recommended. :)

If you listen closely in the Edmunds video, about have way through they mention that premium is recommended but that regular should be fine.

Premium to get published engine specs. It will retard timing based on octane level I imagine.

Trollhole said:
Just look at the pics from the greenville event.

normal_FJC-2005GreenvilleSC-133.jpg
They need to change that sticker out, that will scare a lot of people. :D

Last edited:
Just like my 100, same sticker, but the manual says you can use 87 (regular around here), just may not be at peak performance.

I own a '93 Taurus SHO that has premium as the recommended fuel, but will run just fine on regular. I lose a slight bit of power below 3500 rpm, but above that HP numbers are exactly the same. Below 3500 rpm computer has to back the timing off to prevent detonation. FJ Cruiser is prolly the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom