1980 FJ45 in Dubai - Saved From the Sands (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally have my 1980 Fj45 pickup imported from Saudi Arabia, so the slow process of getting it where I want it to be is going to begin. I am by no means mechanically inclined, and unfortunately don't have the time or the space to do the restoration myself so I have found a garage in Dubai that does good work, and am trusting that with the right guidance they will be able to get it looking like it did/or slightly better than when it first came off the line.

To start out with, a brief rundown of the condition that it came in:
Overall I am happy, with a solid body apart from rusted drivers side floor panel, a few bends here and there, and some significant rust in the pickup bed. The PO worked the truck hard and it shows. That beind said, the engine seems strong and all I see is potential.
IMG_0829.jpg
IMG_0830.jpg
IMG_1067.jpg
IMG_3358.jpg
IMG_3360.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing that I now have it, I went out and bought all the parts I could find that I will be needing to get it back to factory. As you can imagine this involves a lot of rubber, as rubber doesn't hold up to the climate on our side of the world. I apologize for the photo dump, but I thought everyone might enjoy seeing factory spares that aren't that easy to get in most places.

Dashboard, interior door panels, turn signals, sun visors

IMG_5466.jpg

IMG_5468.jpg

IMG_5470.jpg

IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5476.jpg

Last edited:
dome light, turn signals, front license plate holder

IMG_5477.jpg

IMG_5478.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_5482.jpg

Last edited:
dome light, gas tank cap, gas tank cap seal, window handles

IMG_5484.jpg

IMG_5485.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg

IMG_5489.jpg

IMG_5490.jpg

Last edited:
sweet ... nice foundation and nice project ...

I've never seen a 45 in the flesh, but there are some here, mostly Western Canada from the ads I've seen ... rust is a big issue ...

That interior! :beer:

Nice rig! Congrats! You hit the mother lode with the parts availability.

Johnny,

I believe you are correct on the seat trim code for the Middle Eastern FJ45 pickup trucks.....PC11 for the plaid vinyl. It's very tough, but eventually cracks from the extreme heat over the years.

I also have seen the same upholstery code stamped as LL11 on a late FJ43 from the same import area. I believe the 43 was not altered with non-original seats; so possibly the 11 designates the plaid vinyl and the PC and the LL designate some other part of the interior specifications?. I have nothing else of that vintage to compare, such as the trim code for the US spec trucks.

-------------

Max,

The ID plate SHOULD be pop-riveted to the right side/passenger side firewall in the engine compartment. It will also list your serial number which should match your frame number, and some other interesting data. How about sharing a photo of that plate?

BTW, beautiful new parts--makes reassembling so much more satisfying !

1980 was a watershed year for the Land Cruisers. Major changes occurred as of August 1980. We can tell you the date of original manufacture if you list your serial number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom