Predicament....keep, fix, sell, trade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, headgasket on my 1992 FJ80 is gone, I still seem to have an electrical gremlin that causes the truck to randomly hesitate (although this could be HG related), even when it's running great I have no power. The interior isn't in good shape, but I do have a decent stereo in it. All the expensive mods I have completed are bolt-on except for the sliders which were only $300. I don't have a whole bunch of money to work with, and I hadn't planned on dealing with this so soon, but the headgasket has thrown me a curve.

I want an 80, I know that for a fact. I would like more power, nicer interior, and a 'fresh slate' to do a couple of things differently. The problem is time and money. I need to either fix or replace my 80 in a timely manner, I.E. less than 3 weeks w/o a cruiser, and I don't have but about a grand to spend right now. I've seen a few 93's+ for between 4-5k, I'm thinking I could get 2.5-3k out of mine if I bought the newer, swapped all my suspension and transferable parts and basically returned mine to stock.

I need help making a decision here. Fix the headgasket and drive it until I graduate and get a new primary vehicle, or replace now and be out of more cash yet have a more powerful/nicer vehicle.

Fix it and get it cleaned. Don't be lazy. Someone will fix this and make it road worthy again, why not you? $1000 will get you your fix (I think) if you DIY. If you don't have the skills, try to recruit a fellow mudder and barter or go into favor debt with them.

The list of good is a million miles long, but the headliner and driver's seat/floorboard and engine are the bad.

I have the skills to do the HG, it's just not convenient while in school. If I knew the motor would last until Thanksgiving, I would do the HG then and it not be a problem at all. I just have my doubts that I can drive on a blown HG that long, and with my luck I would get stranded halfway between school and home.

I had planned on doing some engine work while I did the HG, but it has worsened drastically and I dont have the money to do what I had planned right now.

Logan, you missed the meeting again.

I told you we would take care of you if you need help. We have plenty of Toyota-competent mechanics in the club and I'm sure we could get you patched up if you buy the parts.

BTW, the pickup is in town now. :D

If you mean trade in, I personally never do it.

It depends on your financial situation after graduation. (college loans etc...) Are you getting a phy's ed degree or an engineering degree? If the only major thing wrong is the HG, just get it fixed and wait until after college to get a newer vehicle.

IMO switching vehicles, no matter how you justify it to yourself or family, costs more money than fixing most reasonable repairs. A $1000.00 HG repair is still cheaper than vehicle replacement, no matter how you try to convince yourself differently.

If the LC isn't presentable for the ladies or your embarrassed of its condition, then that would be the only factor I may weigh in.

In retrospect, some of the best advice I've ever received is from those with experience. My father impressed on me early about how dumb it is to switch vehicles frequently or unnecessarily. You have to decide if it is necessary right now, or just something you want to do.

with friends like that its a no brainer. fix the hg and wheel on.
I wish I had some local mud friends like that (teering up and holding my teddy)

Logan, you missed the meeting again.

I told you we would take care of you if you need help. We have plenty of Toyota-competent mechanics in the club and I'm sure we could get you patched up if you buy the parts.

BTW, the pickup is in town now. :D

Arya, you're right...I did miss the meeting. Had too many papers due. I didn't know that the rest of the club was into doing this for/with me, and if someone had tools for me to borrow (I only have basic wrenches and sockets). If you think the club can help me get this done in 2 weekends, then that sounds like the best plan yet.

id put a ford big block in it :D sux to hear logan, good luck w/ whichever direction you go in.

Fix it for sure.

Gonna be a tough decision, because even if you fix it you still have the wrong vehicle for your usage (large and underpowered as a platform for hardcore wheeling). If you don't fix it, then it's worth its parts and you don't have a ride.

What I'd do is map out your long term invesment to get your 80 where you want it, including the repair. The entire build process to set up an FJ80 for hardcore wheeling. Then compare the time, effort, and cost to your options.

From what I've been able to glean, you want a much more powerful engine, crawler gears to support >38" tires, axles that can handle that new engine, gears, and tire size, and a redesigned suspension.

Including fixing the headgasket, if you have to do that now, you probably have a couple hundred hours of your time yet to invest in this thing plus in excess of $15K in cost to set it up right (could be done for less if you set up your own replacement axles). Given that time is money, this is easily a $20K-$25K project to end up with a trail biased rig that is still huge and heavy that will be worth a lot less than that when you go to sell it.

This is why I say the 80 platform makes absolutely no sense once you get out of the box and start replacing major drivetrain parts.

Having said that, if you can do the HG work, fix it so you have wheels again. I don't see how you have any option if you need the 80 for transportation as it's pretty much worthless except as a parts vehicle right now.

If you don't need wheels, this is your chance to stop throwing good money after bad in an investment that makes no sense. Sorry to hear about the predictament, it's hard to let go of a baby and tough to justify the time and expense to keep the dream alive. Best thing is to let it go and start with a better platform if you can afford it now. Every grand you sink will make that ultimate decision all the more difficult and all the more necessary.

Are you serious?

Yeah those darn IRON heads!

Happens all the time, and when they go you HAVE to get the head redone!

Sucks when you get all those trouble free miles.....(makes you lazy)......and then something happens!

80 = can not be replaced (IMHO)

fix it! It's not a hard of job as you make it sound.

And get some gears!!!! 1Fz's suck with stock gears and 38's!

The devil you know is always easier to contend with. I say fix what you have and wait it out til you can go hard.

Karl

Where is this 1000 dollars for the repair coming from? its a 3fe. If ya dont have the money for a valve job dont do it.

Fix the gasket.

Don't whine about being in school and it being hard to work on. I logged in 360 miles a week for the last 3 years on my cruiser going to school full time and working full time. Early this year I did a frame swap in 5 days by myself on spring break with no garage...If there is a will there is a way.

I still can't believe you blew a HG on that 3fe....you have been hanging around 80s tech too much ;)

The 1000 is what I have to spend, be it on repairs, mods, or upgrading. I was surprised it was a headgasket myself, you don't hear about this on the 3FE....I guess those 1FZ guys are trying to spread their bad luck.

Spend $800 or so on a beater honda. It will get 30mpg or more, and will start saving you money extremely quick. Get a part-time job and slowly fix the 80 over winter with the help of the club.

Or get your parents to co-sign a loan, put something fun under the hood and build your credit over the next 4 years in college so when you graduate you can get a loan with decent interest rate to buy a real DD or a house eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom