Pre-purchase rust advice on a 2006 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. I have a deposit on a 2006 with 130k miles. It's 6 hours away so I had an inspection done. Couple minor issues, but the rust concerns me.

Let me know what you think...

1275218096.jpg

xkutwc1b_IMG_20190304_111807.jpg

54c6xfo0_IMG_20190304_111436.jpg

cmhp3d8v_IMG_20190304_111804.jpg

qnu7jrme_IMG_20190304_110644_1.jpg

Here's a few more. It's not outrageous, I don't think, but it's not minor either.

0ritp6h2_IMG_20190304_112051.jpg

e8cbg32t_IMG_20190304_111750.jpg

lzuta1xy_IMG_20190304_111432.jpg

7wig6hfx_IMG_20190304_110714.jpg

qglf063u_IMG_20190304_110600.jpg

What state is it from? Looks about normal for some truck that was winter driven here in Chicago. I imagine trucks in the North East all look like this too if not worse.

I'm usually pretty lenient towards rust, but this is a lot, i'd walk away, can you get the deposit back?

Is it just the lighting or is the passenger side sway bar bracket so rusted that it detached from the axle?

my own opinion is to pass, I grew up in NJ, now living in MT. seeing what we have available out here, I wouldn't consider that unless it was very cheap.
What price are they asking?

Thanks for the replies guys. Truck spent entire life in Pennsylvania according to Carfax. I'm getting it for $16k.

Thanks for the replies guys. Truck spent entire life in Pennsylvania according to Carfax. I'm getting it for $16k.

16k, I'd pass but that is me.
plan on extra time for broken bolts when stuff needs to be replaced, gas tank skid pan/mount is suspect. a guy in PA just had his axle panhard rod mount break.
looks like the exhaust has been replaced, most likely because it rusted thru. we have 150,000 on our 2005 and the exhaust is still the original.

Well, If you actually buy it, and it looks pretty good except underneath, I would get to work protecting it from further demise. I think you are ok, as long as you don't just drive it and forget about it. Other people from the rust belt can give you better advice than I can about caring for your undercarriage, but rust converter used liberally, followed up by some industrial strength paint is the direction I would be going in.

16K is too expensive for that condition, i'd pay 12 at most for that. Check the for sale forum, DO NOT buy a 100 based on the low mileage, get one with less rust but higher mileage, these trucks are tanks and 200K miles is still low mileage.

IMO for 16K you might be able to find a little older one w/o rust. I bought one for 5K from PA 7 months ago and it wasn't as bad as this one but everything I do I spend 3-4 hours on broken bolts. I love the truck and they are so much fun to drive and I am sure you will love this one when you get it but like me maybe you will wish you had bought a rust free one.

Reactions: uHu
I would run away from that. I live in the Midwest and my 2000 LC looks nothing like that underneath it. That looks like a headache down the road.

Oh dang at $16k I’d run away, infact I’d run at $10 k Hopefully you can get your deposit back there are to many with way less rust than that out there. Find a rust free southern truck and buy a plane ticket.. rust is a bad deal

It's fine to buy rust, if it's calculated into the value, but at $16k that's $4-5k over what value is. and as @Runner2aCruiser said looks like there are some other potential issues as well.

Wow. OK the consensus is that it's not worth it. Do you guys think the rear sway bar bracket separated from the axle?

RSB.png

I bought a 2006 with 197K miles for $11.5K over a year ago, rust but less rust than the one here. Parking brake assemblies are usually the first to rust to the point of needing replacement, other than that for the most part it's just a huge pain when working on the car and needing to remove bolts. Not too many components are going to rust to the point of failure in the next 10 years, or even 20. But know that it will only get worse and if you keep 20 years the end might be catastrophic failure with a zero dollar residual value.

My muffler was rusted through and parking brake assembly needed new parts, probably the rust overall was as bad as yours but shady car dealer had sprayed black on frame and brackets. I knew this going in and was OK on the price, but many if not most here on IH8MUD would avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom