Pre 03 Factory NAV to Double Din, Climate Knobs Conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, we had all three types of setups out and comparing them today, it looks like the LX with buttons and no nav is compatible with the LC with knobs. The connectors are the same. We did not try this because nobody wanted to find out what would start smoking first, but we did confirm the connectors are the same.

As for the 02. Nothing seems to be compatible other than the radio harness. Everything else is completely different and less/more pin numbers. Part numbers vary slightly at the end for each layout.

Here are some pictures. First set of pictures show the Dash layouts we compared today.

1) 2002 LC
2) 2001 LX
3) 2000 LC
DSC_0641.jpg
DSC_0644.jpg
DSC_0645.jpg

Next set shows the connectors and backs of the setups. Note how similar the LC and LX are. Toyota really did go all out on screwing all Nav owners that want to revert to a different style dash layout.

Here is a 2000 LC's non-nav radio and AC controls in the back.
DSC_0647.jpg
DSC_0653.jpg
DSC_0681.jpg

2001 LX (we did not pull the LX headunit, so that is still unknown). LX is on the left in the shot with both units side by side.

Pictures didn't quite come out as well as a had hoped, I think i had my camera on night mode :rolleyes:
DSC_0676.jpg
DSC_0672.jpg
DSC_0693.jpg

Controller and Junction Intrument are the same on all 3 vehicles with a part number of: 82791-60041. Same location with same connectors.

Nav unit # was 84010-60230
(bottom number) 110900-0460

Non- Nav units:

2000 LC W/ 3 Knobs=
84010-60172
110900-0340

The other smaller sticker on the connector sockets read

LC non nav = 177300-4700

LX non nav = 177300-4710

didn't get a picture of the 02 with Nav.

While Paul hung his head in disappointment with Toyota and finding that his quest for a non-nav 02 was going to be much harder than he thought, I did get a Blitz iPod adapter so I can finally listen to my iPhone on road trips. It sounds 10000X's better than my crappy tape deck.

Blitz ipod adapters apparently don't work on nav'd rigs, they charge, that is it though.

Great pics Nick. We learned a lot today. I am going to have to go into Super Geek mode if I want to see this thing through. Before I take out a classified ad for an engineering student at Georgia Tech (best of breed geeks), I'd like to see if any of our buddies across the pond have anything that would be compatible with an 02 harness.

What the next phase needs to be is comparing actual wires... wire for wire. If it's really all the same wires back there then it's a matter of sourcing connectors and building wiring adapters. Fun Fun Fun.

Yeah. I just downloaded the EWD for 00 LC, 02 LX NAV, 02 LX non-NAV, 02 LC NAV. Going to start the wire to wire thing this week.

Only a partial hijack :D:

I noticed ddub's '07 105's center console. Rotary knobs #1 (on an '07LC!) and the temp adjuster is on the right not the left as '98-'00 NA LC.

Toyota sure kept themselves busy changing everything...
07 LC105 Center Dash.jpg

What the next phase needs to be is comparing actual wires... wire for wire. If it's really all the same wires back there then it's a matter of sourcing connectors and building wiring adapters. Fun Fun Fun.

Are there any indications of manufacturer on the connectors? I've been poking around looking for these.

Any updates?

Only a partial hijack :D:

I noticed ddub's '07 105's center console. Rotary knobs #1 (on an '07LC!) and the temp adjuster is on the right not the left as '98-'00 NA LC.

Toyota sure kept themselves busy changing everything...

I think Ddub is from the philippines IIRC, we are behind there about 5 years in terms of trucks! haha the 1992 80 series did not arrive there til about 97-98

Curious if there has been any progress on this project? I have the 98 LC, non-NAV with (3) rotary dial knobs and would LOVE to put in the stock Navi setup IF possible. Heck, even the digital climate control from an LX would suit me better.

Ya, it's totally possible to swap non-nav climate controls. The two types are 3-dial climate control and automatic climate control (these are the non-nav LX and LC climates).

I've been running with the 3 dial LC climate in my LX470 for about 3 months now. No issues whatsoever after the conversion.

If anyone is interested in purchasing used equipment for their own swap. PM me and let me know. I've got the full controls and fascia for the LX470 automatic climate control (the non-navi). And some odds and ends: a full right side air vent for either LX or LC that mounts behind the fascia, the LC 3-dial fascia with darker wood (used), and brand news dials for the 3 dial set up.

I think we need someone to try this conversion on the 03-07 LX and LC. And also try this on the Navi system of the 98-02

lexi4darin said:
I think we need someone to try this conversion on the 03-07 LX and LC. And also try this on the Navi system of the 98-02

Harnesses are totally different. You would have to redesign the entire dash wiring.

Harnesses are totally different. You would have to redesign the entire dash wiring.

Which harness are you talking about? For 98-02 navi systems or the 03-07 systems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom