Power Steering Pump Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to replace my leaking power steering pump on my 97 LC and need a quick second set of eyes from someone on here. I've got the stuff seen in the photo below plus the amazing Power Steering Cooler kit from Wits End. Before I pull everything out, am I missing anything? Figuring I've forgotten some gasket, washer, nut or something that'll screw me up. I've got most of the tools I need besides the gear puller. Going to get a loaner from Autozone, and I've got fluid for when it's all done.

PXL_20210424_134019085-XL.jpg

Is that the Gates version of the high pressure hose? If I recall, All the low pressure stuff is included with the WE cooler?

Is that the Gates version of the high pressure hose? If I recall, All the low pressure stuff is included with the WE cooler?
Yes, it's the GATES 365550 ordered from Rock Auto specified for the 97 LC.
Wits End comes with all the low pressure stuff, one of the reasons I ordered that particular kit, aside from it being an upgrade, since everything on that end is included.

Thanks folks, appreciate the second look. I hate getting into a project and finding I forgot something. I have a motorcycle sitting apart in the garage right now waiting on the correct throttle cables to be exchanged since I accidentally selected the incorrect ones from the fiche, ugh. Story of my life. Figure while I wait on those then it's time to look at this pump.

Did you order the gear tool and the emergency plug from Wits End as well?

mines leaking as well but was thinking about just starting with replacing the LP hoses. Is replacing the HP hose & pump recommended “while your at it” given the age of these trucks? ‘97 w/ 180k mi

Did you order the gear tool and the emergency plug from Wits End as well?
Gear tool yes, emergency plug no.

mines leaking as well but was thinking about just starting with replacing the LP hoses. Is replacing the HP hose & pump recommended “while your at it” given the age of these trucks? ‘97 w/ 180k mi
I'm in the middle of this right now. I'll tell you this. My LP hoses were locked onto the bulges at the end of the fittings. This is because after 24 years of Texas heat they are rock hard. They crumbled and when I tried to flex the big one under the reservoir it didn't flex at all, it just snapped in two. So, yes, I'd replace these. If yours are original then their condition is likely the same.

Wits end sells the LP hoses, but once into the cost for those it made sense to get the cooler kit too, but there could be some wait time on that depending on if he has them in stock because he gets them anodized. I waited for a bit for mine since they were out of stock, then had to wait for my schedule to clear up.

Gear tool yes, emergency plug no.

I'm in the middle of this right now. I'll tell you this. My LP hoses were locked onto the bulges at the end of the fittings. This is because after 24 years of Texas heat they are rock hard. They crumbled and when I tried to flex the big one under the reservoir it didn't flex at all, it just snapped in two. So, yes, I'd replace these. If yours are original then their condition is likely the same.

Wits end sells the LP hoses, but once into the cost for those it made sense to get the cooler kit too, but there could be some wait time on that depending on if he has them in stock because he gets them anodized. I waited for a bit for mine since they were out of stock, then had to wait for my schedule to clear up.
Yeah I’ve got the upgraded cooler kit sitting in my wits end wish list along with a dozen other items ha. Guess I’ll go ahead and pull the trigger

Yes, it's the GATES 365550 ordered from Rock Auto specified for the 97 LC.
Wits End comes with all the low pressure stuff, one of the reasons I ordered that particular kit, aside from it being an upgrade, since everything on that end is included.

Thanks folks, appreciate the second look. I hate getting into a project and finding I forgot something. I have a motorcycle sitting apart in the garage right now waiting on the correct throttle cables to be exchanged since I accidentally selected the incorrect ones from the fiche, ugh. Story of my life. Figure while I wait on those then it's time to look at this pump.
That gates hose is like 10% the price of the OEM...seems too good to be true? Or is that oem hose a ripoff???

That gates hose is like 10% the price of the OEM...seems too good to be true? Or is that oem hose a ripoff???
The gist I've gotten is that the OEM hose is very overpriced based on my searching and reading. A small number have had issues with the cheap one, but if you have to go buy a second one then you are still WAY cheaper than OEM, but you have to go in there and replace it....AGAIN. Most don't go OEM for that.

The gist I've gotten is that the OEM hose is very overpriced based on my searching and reading. A small number have had issues with the cheap one, but if you have to go buy a second one then you are still WAY cheaper than OEM, but you have to go in there and replace it....AGAIN. Most don't go OEM for that.
I went OEM because the aftermarket crap that was used by the PO was weeping at the crimps. In my experience, you get what you pay for. Time is money.

The OEM HP hose is definitely pricey but as mentioned above, high quality. Have one sitting on the parts shelf for when I need it.

Story of my life, AutoZone had all their gear pullers checked out. I ordered some next day from Amazon, they aren't that expensive and next time I'll have it and not need it. Then I went to install the Wits End Derale cooler at least to prep the truck and my tap handle is too long for where I need to use it, so I ordered a new one. I knew I'd not get it done in one weekend. The good news is aside from removing the gear, which I've removed the nut (and measured the depth of the gear placement), I'm done struggling with nuts and bolts that have been in the same place for 24 years. Less knuckle busting and struggling going forward. Thank goodness I have a Texas rust free truck, because even though some nuts and bolts were difficult, they certainly could have been worse.

Gear is off. Once it let go it came off in a hurry. Put the gear on the new one, Wits end tool was a treat for getting the nut off, but I kept getting slippage trying to torque the nut, ended up just using wood in the vice, still, money well spent. Hopefully this is close enough, surely it's gotta be within tolerances of my caliper and whatever dust/dirt may have gotten in between.

Old pump:
PXL_20210425_182908845-L.jpg

New pump:
PXL_20210426_224119214-L.jpg

Yes, I measured with the end of the caliper not pictured.

I just replaced a lot of my system. Didn't use the Gates hose, I used the Rein version. I didn't buy the Wit's End cooler kit, but I did convert to a dual pass finned aluminum cooler and AN fittings. Replaced all hoses and the reservoir.

My pump was not leaking or making unusual noises, so didn't rebuild it.

Gear is off. Once it let go it came off in a hurry. Put the gear on the new one, Wits end tool was a treat for getting the nut off, but I kept getting slippage trying to torque the nut, ended up just using wood in the vice, still, money well spent. Hopefully this is close enough, surely it's gotta be within tolerances of my caliper and whatever dust/dirt may have gotten in between.

Old pump:
PXL_20210425_182908845-L.jpg

New pump:
PXL_20210426_224119214-L.jpg

Yes, I measured with the end of the caliper not pictured.

Plenty close enough. FSM doesn't specify a seating depth anyway, just a torque figure for the nut (54 ft. lbs.) Though checking as a redundancy doesn't hurt.

The important thing with these pumps is NOT to damage the gears teeth in any way or you'll end up with a horrendous knocking sound.

Pump Pic18.jpg

Ok, got another quick question for you all.

First, quick update.
My tapping handle came in. Then, because I'm working in the driveway since the garage is for motorcycle stuff, we had rain move in this week and it's been raining all week long. Now, it's the weekend and there's more rain forecasted but I'm working when I can and I got the holes drilled and tapped, the new cooler mounted and am ready to start reassembly and I came to a conundrum.

Now, I thought for sure I read somewhere that when reattaching lines to the power steering gearbox that they were different sized so that you could not possibly screw them up. But this is me and I can screw anything up. Turns out I was wrong and it seems that I can thread the high and low fittings in either hole and I don't remember which hole is which. I thought I'd be able to rely on the FSM but as you can see, the diagrams are not much help here.

PXL_20210501_170824248-XL.jpg

I did find where someone said to remove the side panel for easy access to the high pressure line, which I did but didn't pay attention when removing them and stupidly didn't take pictures for later like I should have. But, based on that comment, my diagram below should be correct, but can someone confirm before I screw this up big time? Also, does that red dot indicate the high pressure side? Seems like that'd make sense.

PXL_20210501_170735457~2-XL.jpg

Correct, high pressure side comes out of the pump and to the port nearest the wheel well (as you have illustrated).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom