Power Steering Pump Tapping sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had my power steering pump replaced and it had a tapping sound that wasnt there before the leaky one was replaced. The mechanic said it was because I used an aftermarket pump so I paid the big bucks and purchased an OEM power steering pump and now I have the same annoying tapping noise. What can be done to fix this? 1996 Landcruiser, gas 360k miles.

Probably a chipped tooth on the pump drive gear.
would this be in the pump itself? It is making the same sound with 2 new pumps. Never made this sound prior to replacement of the pump itself

would this be in the pump itself? It is making the same sound with 2 new pumps. Never made this sound prior to replacement of the pump itself

It’s making the same sound because you haven’t eliminated the likely culprit or chipped gear tooth. It’s crazy how much noise it’ll produce from just a tiny nick from careless treatment of said gear.

I believe it’s 13522-66030.

Last edited:
Concur with the above.

Could be a damaged tooth on the gear
(That’s pressed into pump shaft)

Or gear may not be fully seated. It’s a very narrow tolerance of gear spacing off pump face.

you probably need a new gear for the pump. Correct p/n: 44316-60020 Sounds like your mechanic damaged it upon removal.

Did you re-use the drive gear on the old pump?
If it's a new gear on the new pump, take a careful look at the teeth.

As above, they are easily damaged. A small distortion of a single tooth will create a knock every rotation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom