power steering problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My power steering doesn't seem to work! I have replaced the pump and it still doesn't steer. I have checked fluid,cycled with and without engine running to bleed the system but it still doesn't work. Anyone else have problems with their ps on the 97 models? Any help

Are there any other mods done to your truck that might affect the steering? Oversize tyres, suspension lift, steering damper, lockers?

Did the ps stop working all of a sudden or just after you worked on the system?

The pump problem started with and off road trip, there have been no mods to the cruiser. The oil pressure is good although the low level sending unit is broken.
After seeing the short coming of the 4/AWD system I am going for front and rear lockers after I get thru this problem.

The PS pump is gear driven from the crank through the gear for the oil pump. So since we have oil pressure there is probably drive at the PS pump.

With the engine idling have you looked inside the PS reservoir to see if fluid is circulating?

It has some movement, I don't know if there is a way to check pressure or not. If you crack open the lines at the gear box fluid is coming from both sides.

If you diconnect the draglink and jack both front wheels in the air can you move the wheels side to side freely. It could be damaged steering knuckle bearings. The tie rod could also be rubbing on the diff. Another thing to check is the steering damper, it might have a slight bend in it. It could be any number of things stiffening up the steering giving the impression that the ps isn't working. I'd try these couple of checks just to eliminate what the problem is not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom