Power Steering Install - How to Bleed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I just finsished installing a mini-truck power steering set-up and it runs great. I know I am suppose to bleed it and just want to make sure of the process. With brakes, you can have someone push down on the brakes while you open and close the bleeder valve. I don't see a bleeder valve here.

So, I am thinking I take the return line off the Saginaw pump side and put it in a jug. Turn on the engine and turn the wheel a few times making sure the reservouir doesn't go dry. That's what makes sense to me, thought I would ask before I do it tomorrow. Will any leak back out the Saginaw return input that I have left disconnected?

I took lots of pictures and can post up how I did it.

Took it for a drive and it is sweet, I agree it's the best mod with one exception. When your offroad, a locker is the best investment.

You shouldn't have to disconnect anything. The pump constanly circulates fluid though the system. Turning the wheel lock to lock should take any air out of the system.

AlaskanWheeler is right - no need to bleed, you already have by driving it and turning the wheel. Just check and top up the reservior if necessary after turning lock to lock. Air is bled through the reservior while running.
Check carefully for any sign of leaking anywhere and fix it if needed.

Thanks Guys. All the instructions said were to Bleed the system, so I scratched my head for a bit.

It is easier to bleed if you jack up the front and get the tires off the ground. With the engine off, turn it slowly lock to lock several times. Then do it some more. Start the engine and slowly repeat. If the ps fluid looks milky, turn off the engine and grab a few beers because the whole system is aerated. After the beers, go and repeat the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom