Power Steering Gear Box 105 Series Sector Shaft/Pitman Arm Upgrade (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If anyone is looking to upgrade to this, don't be in a rush for it. From speaking with Cdan the other day, they're out of the pitman arm until at least the end of the month. Mine was lost in the mail (thanks UPS! :cheers: ) and the replacement is coming from Japan.

Any update on the rebuild?

Nothing yet.

Truck is down for about the next 2.5 months as I get her prepared for another wheeling season. Lots to do before I get to the steering system.

The box will go out at the end of the month. I hope to document the process.

Thanks.

Well was able to recently get some work done on this part of my overall project.

Here are some pics of the work done so far. The u-joint section coming out of the top of the gear box was in bad shape and the rust, dirt and grime was terrible. Once I loosened the two bolts that attach the u-joint on each end, I actually had to use a pick fork and jam it against the gear box to get the u-joint section off--it took at least 20 or so solid hits from a 3 pounder.

Once I had it off, lots of cleaning to do and to get the other end of the u-joint off which was easier once I had it in the vice.

I would hate to do this on the trail like Alvaro and Andy did on the Dusy a couple of years back.

Heading off to West Texas Off Road in the next week or so...Can't wait.

Best.
-onur
0118001307.jpg
0118001358a.jpg
0118001359.jpg

Well, I received the gear box back today from West Texas Off Road.

They did a great job at a very reasonable price: $168 shipped (I did provide them with the OEM rebuild kit).

The old sector shaft was indeed twisted on the splines. Not terribly bad, but bad enough. Also, the two were indeed different in design. The splines going into the pitman arm are thicker, there are more of them, and the bottom part of the sector shaft before splining does not taper and is solid all the way down unlike the stock one that came with our rigs.

I'm very happy to have a newly upgraded and rebuilt gear box.

I am also replacing the yoke that goes into the input at the power head as well as the intermediate shaft that goes up to the firewall. The splines on both of these were twisted as well probably leading to more steering slop.

In any event, some gear box pron....

Best.
-o-
0204001001.jpg
0204001002.jpg
0204001003.jpg

Reactions: KTP
Given how exposed you have the frame at the mounting location, have you considered adding some reinforcing plate for the steering box and the upper panhard mount? There have been quite a few (myself included) that have had some pretty scary cracks form there and it seems like the perfect time for you to make that area more robust - especially since this is going to get wheeled with big tires, no hydro assist, etc. Looks great so far :cheers:

Given how exposed you have the frame at the mounting location, have you considered adding some reinforcing plate for the steering box and the upper panhard mount? There have been quite a few (myself included) that have had some pretty scary cracks form there and it seems like the perfect time for you to make that area more robust - especially since this is going to get wheeled with big tires, no hydro assist, etc. Looks great so far :cheers:

Good call Mike. Where/what would be your suggestion? I like the idea.

Recently updated thread regarding this happening:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/273182-cracked-frame.html

Yes, he is now my neighbor so to speak up here in the Finger Lakes.

But you already know of Alvaro's and mine came to light on the Dusy - Post #9 for pic (https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/171560-dusy-ershim-carnage.html). It definitely seems to be too common to just be chance once you put a lift, bigger tires and start wheeling them. I think I'd look into boxing the frame much like the minis/4Runners do when putting the IFS box mated to a solid front axle. And similar boxing with some buttresses for the panhard mount. It's not like some "over built" effort there has much of a downside, kind of like the sector shaft. That stuff will stop you on a trail pretty quickly and not easily fixed on the trail if at all.

That looks great, Beno. You're going to force me to do the same thing!

We stock the sector, pitman and gear kit............:lol:

Dan, what led you to the idea that a 105-series sector shaft would fit in an 80-series OEM steering box? If I recall correctly, you noted that the original 80-series box p/n had been superseded to a new number, but how did you ever make the jump to the 105-series from that? It's yet another example of your parts shaman extraordinaire status.

SWAG.

Scientific, of course. :hillbilly:

To Dan: Boo-sheeeeee!! ;)

Got some more work done today. Mock fitted everything together. "While I was in there" I also replaced the yoke at the power input, hardware, and the intermediate shaft as well. The old ones had serious corrosion, twisted splines, and the yoke was super loose. Everything is very tight.

Gotta order a couple more firewall parts (there's a grommeted plate and then a seal that goes on the fire wall from the inside where the intermediate shaft goes through the firewall. Mine was torn and shredded--no wonder I was getting such a draft!

Anyway, some pics.

Later.
-o-
0205001435.jpg
0205001525.jpg
0205001525a.jpg

And a couple more...

You can see the match marks on the bottom of the sector shaft and the pitman arm. These have to be lined up and the FSM calls for the matchmarks on the sector shaft to be parallel with the frame before installing the pitman arm and then the gear box. I will put the pitman arm on the sector shaft first on a vice and get it as tight as possible (FSM calls for 130 ft/lbs on the nut).

I will be doing the intermediate shaft to the yoke, making sure the steering wheel is straight on, then putting the gear box on, installing the yoke to the input head, and then tightening down the nut on the pitman for a final tight fit. Then the rod end goes on, and my steering will be 100% new again....
0205001526.jpg
0205001526a.jpg

Reactions: KTP
Here are the pics of the main seal for the intermediate shaft as it comes through the firewall.

All of the OEM Toyota pron is there. :) Just waiting on the firewall seal for the large opening.
0206001651.jpg
0206001653.jpg
0206001652.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom