power steering fluid boil over (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today in the morning, after i started up the truck (it was prtetty cold for San Diego standards, but no where near freezing) my power steering felt weird, and whined loudly when I turned the wheel.
so I turned it off again, and power steering fluid was dripping on the ground, from the top of the reservoir. when I openend the reservoir, it was all foamy.

The fluid is fresh, and everything had worked perfectly the evening before. what could be wrong? I know the fluid level was slightly high, but could that be the problem?

thank you for the help,
Jan

Hey Jan,

My 80 and 60 both have the same symptoms in the AM. (i.e. whining)
I have not checked to see if they are bubbling over though. Will check in the morning.

The 80 does leak and most likely needs a rebuild of the unit.

Bob

Jan, My PS made a whining sound this morning too. It was pretty chilly by San Diego standards in Mira Mesa. My fluid is pretty much at the top of the reservoir container and has been recently changed, but I didn't see any overflow. I use Dexron III in mine.

Also, I let my cruiser warm up with the choke on for about 5 minutes before driving her.

Benji said:
FYI, the PS pump uses ATF fluid, not PS fluid.

Prolly already know though.

actually, that is new to me. could you please elaborate? Is that written in the owners manual?

thank you,
Jan

djawahir said:
Jan, My PS made a whining sound this morning too. It was pretty chilly by San Diego standards in Mira Mesa. My fluid is pretty much at the top of the reservoir container and has been recently changed, but I didn't see any overflow. I use Dexron III in mine.

Also, I let my cruiser warm up with the choke on for about 5 minutes before driving her.

Funny, I live in Mira mesa too...
thanks,
Jan

You guys are joking. I've seen only two cruisers here in San Diego. One was a white one and one was a bright blue one. Where do you guys hide your cruisers??!?

Get Automatic Transmission Fluid for the power steering. It's up to Dexron III now. So far, so good.

Could use some advice:

It's been really cold here in Denver the last week and my FJ60 has been having some power steering issues as well. When I start it up the power steering groans really loud for several minutes before warming up and quieting down. However, after this started I noticed that whenever I turn the wheel, I get a slight abrasive grinding sound emanating from the steering column even after the power steering pump has stopped groaning. What is it / how to correct it? Thanks, and sorry for the hijack.

I live north of Denver and am having the same noisy PS pump problems.

I have a "new" (non-original) PS pump, installed ~2 owners ago. I'm probably going to live with the problem this week, and change the fluid out this weekend, when it's back up to the 50's. Anyone else pipe in if you've got solutions...

I think that if you pull the two hoses (one connected to the reservoir and the other is a straight piece down a little further) and let her drip out you should be fine.

1. Disconnect the reservoir return hose and let everything drain out into a receptacle.

2. Jack the truck up so you can turn the steering wheel freely without the tires making contact with the ground surface.

3. Turn the wheel until all the fluid comes out.

4. Reconnect the return hose.

5. Fill with ATF Dexron III fluid and have a partner (easier) turn the steering wheel back and forth until the correct fluid level is obtained.

6. With the reservoir cap off; keep turning the wheel until all the bubbles escape. This is to ensure no air is in the line.

7. Go driving.

I have groaning, but no boilover. Changing the fluid did not help much (although it was old), Topping with Lucas Stop Leak helped somewhat, but it still generally groans in the frigid San Diego winter. I think it's been in the 40's or so. Once, it got to 39!

West Clairemont/Bay Park, faded blue with some rust starting I gotta deal with.

Changed my power steering fluid this morning(ATF and Lucas). Went through all the steps in the manual on bleeding the system. All was well for a little while, then I started hearing the groaning sound, WTF!! I figured that there was still air in the system, so I jacked up the front again and starting cycling the steering wheel back and forth(w/ the reservoir cap off) untill the noise stop.

So it either, there was still air in the system or it stop because it warmed up, I'm not sure. Hopefully, it was because there was still some pockets of air. We'll see the next time I drive.

I don't know if this will help anyone w/ the groaning symptoms, just my PS flushing experience.

groaning sound indicates a future death of your pump, but dont' worry...mines' been groaning for about a year now. got another pump to put in, just haven't yet.

nuclearlemon said:
groaning sound indicates a future death of your pump, but dont' worry...mines' been groaning for about a year now. got another pump to put in, just haven't yet.

The wierd thing is, before I decided to change the fluid it worked perfect no noise or anything. I just thought I would change the fluid since it probably hasn't been done in awhile. I't doesn't make sense why just changing the fluid would make the pump start groaning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom